Status
Not open for further replies.

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Well got a call to go look at a car here in town the fellow wants to sell it its a 66 Barracuda Formula S car he has taken all the chrome off to sand and repaint but never got to it. The car has a 318 in it but has the ORIGINAL 273 4 barrel with it. I got all the numbers from the fender tag and ran all those down and its the real thing!! Body's straight with one spot of rust!!! interior is nice oh and its a auto on the floor. NOW..... he wants me to make him an OFFER he tells me he has $3500. in it.
Whats it worth???? Should I buy it???

I always look at things as what they are worth to me not the asking price or perception of what somethings worth. If you are looking to buy, finish, and sell it one thing to remember is that there are more than a few parts on the 66 that are 1 year only, so if its not almost complete figure on paying higher $ to get whats needed. I love my 66 Barracuda and wouldnt trade it for anything. So with what you described (and not seeing pics) personaly I think that the $3,500 range is a good deal if its a car you want to finish and keep. Be sure and check out the rear inner fenders, floor and trunk pans because of all the 66's Ive seen those seem to be the biggest areas of concern. Also, check the numbers on the engine block to be sure that its the ORIGINAL motor and not just "another" 273. Let us now if you get it and get some pics up of it if you can. Good luck!!

Yea he tells me its the original 273 that was factory with car... Haven't seen it yet. Aren't the FORMULA 273 4 Barrel engines alone worth more??? And it has Factory AC also,forgot that.All the chrome is with it as well as the "certicard" .
Don't know what I will do with it should I buy it... But I don't want to over pay but they are cool cars...

That sounds like a cool car and I would love to have it but probably won't give $3500 for it - maybe if it was really nice. I think it is very hard to get more than $5000 for any early A-body so if it was painted and running great that would be the top end.
Any 273 isn't worth very much even the "Commando" engines, I have two of these 273 four barrel engines for sale right now and the only thing people want are the cool krinkle paint valve covers, chrome air cleaners and maybe the AFB carbs.

Slotcar, whereabouts do you live? I know a guy who might be interested in a complete 273 Commando, here in Omaha....let me know.
alan627b

If the money matters you're buying the car for the wrong reasons. Never crosses my mind to consider whether I can get my money back out of the car. I'm not planning on selling it, ever, so that is not a consideration to me. If the car is as nice as you say, I would give my left nut for it. But I have a particularly soft spot for '66 Formula S's.

No way its worth $3,500.00

I would think in the area of under $2,000.00 or a lot less.

In fact I agree with Slotcarwon that the big money on these cars are the
cool krinkle paint valve covers, chrome air cleaners and maybe the AFB carbs. So if those parts are missing it may just be a $1,000.00 car.

Yes, what grump said. To me, $3500 for a driver thats in better than good condition is a deal. I just bought my 66 less than 3 months ago and I can tell you for that money you generally get a car that needs more work.

i would say pay what its worth to you. unless the market changes and early a bodies catch on. you will probably never get your money out of it. but if the car makes you happy, who cares.i had a 65 barracuda. commando v8, 4 speed. but not a formula s. and that car needed alot of body work. i sold it to a guy on here for 2900. so they can be worth it, as long as its worth it to the guy that is buying it. oh yeah. and mine didnt have the original engine.

I would buy it in a heartbeat for 3500 if I had the cash. I figure that I am putting together a 66 cuda 273 car but not commando and I am at 3000 still needing to do body and paint along with chroming bumpers. So in my point of view if you want it to cruise in buy it.

FNG here, but I was in the same position as you about 2 weeks ago.

This guy was selling a 1965 barracuda with a 273, console auto, non "S", NO a/c.
Med blue poly and blue interior in fair to poor shape. Both were redone in the early 90's. All trim seems to be here except driver side rear wheel well.
Supposedly a daily driver.

I paid less than 3500, but it wasn't an "S" and had no air. (really wish it did though!)

Regardless of price, my wife and I fell in love with it and probably got ripped off, but we love it anyway.

long story short, I would offer whatever you think it's worth. That's what I do. if it isn't enough for the buyer than just say thanks and move on.

Thanks ,Thats what I wanted to hear..... I guess.... Yea I'm going to make the offer and then see where it lands from there.
What I really want is a 67-69 vert.... any of those out there for sale????

Hey Wyo,
I looked at a 68 here in Indiana a few weeks ago for 1500,very rough,318,seemed like most of the chrome was there,top gone,interior very bad but cores all there,good trunk and rear tubs,good top mechanism.I can try to find the number if you want,Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back