66 barracuda modern v6 swap?

-

1966ABody

Reaction score
Im thinking of swapping in either a 3.5 or a 3.6 in my barracuda, I want to hear people's opinions on this, if its a good idea, if it would be very hard to do, etc. Thanks.

Posted via Topify on Android

I've contemplated doing a modern engine swap in my 64 Barracuda. I was thinking an SRT-4 swap for mine though. Light weight, similar power to a V8, and they can be built on a budget. Plus I already have a holset Turbo.

If you are good with wiring and can fabricate mounting brackets I would imagine it wouldn't be that hard of a swap. You may have to research oil pan clearances and transmission clearances as well. Are you thinking manual or automatic? Modern or original transmission? Modern bits will make things more complicated.

I asked the same question about a year ago I think.

I think most of the responses said something like, "if your going to bother doing a swap, why not just do a v8". They all said the v6's were low on power and didn't really get any better mileage than say a 5.2 magnum (with the factory fuel injection still on it).

I always thought it would be a cool idea, a little different than what everyone else is doing.

Here's some info from allpar that might help you.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/39.html

Well the 3.5 has 250 hp and the 3.6 has around 290, so either of those engines in a 2900lb car I think would be pretty quick and get really good gas mileage. I already have a 273 that I was planning on putting in it but it's just a normal 273 not a commando. I'd like to make it unique and not have a V8 like most of them. Do you think I would need the rear end and everything out of a parts car, or could I use the one thats in my barracuda?

anything but the 3.9. That motor although a drop in due to the same front and rear of an LA was a dog, like 2mph better than a 318 and less power. SRT-4 would be a blast but I dont know what you would do for a trans...pity to put an auto on a SRT-4 though.

Yeah I wasn't even considering a 3.9, there really would be no point, and do any of you know anyone that have done this swap? I would like to see pictures and see what problems they had.

anything but the 3.9. That motor although a drop in due to the same front and rear of an LA was a dog, like 2mph better than a 318 and less power. SRT-4 would be a blast but I dont know what you would do for a trans...pity to put an auto on a SRT-4 though.

SRT-4 trans wise would be a 2wd manual liberty bellhousing (dealer sells them) and that bolts right up to a supra trans. You can also do small modifications and make a dakota 4 cylinder bell work with the dakota trans.

What is your goal?
That should determine what you do.

If you want something unique a Prowler 3.5L with the rear mounted transaxle would have better weight distribution for handleing and pretty decent fuel economy.

What if I wanted to get something front wheel drive like a caravan or 200 with a 3.6, are there any other transmissions that will bolt up to the 3.6? Because I think I could get a damaged caravan a lot cheaper than a wrecked ram or challenger, but I would need a transmission.

The newer pentastar v6 and 8 speed auto would be cool! I believe those have 300-320hp and they get 30+ highway in the chargers! Should be pretty fun n fuel efficient in an A

Slap a couple of turbo on the v6 with extra room and you'll get damn good gas mileage plus make a fool out of a lot of people.

SRT-4 trans wise would be a 2wd manual liberty bellhousing (dealer sells them) and that bolts right up to a supra trans. You can also do small modifications and make a dakota 4 cylinder bell work with the dakota trans.

the liberty bell has not been available for some time. you can find them from time to time.
I believe you can get the trans from a Colorado as well. there are options to do a manual with the srt-4 motor. I was pretty deep into the swap myself until I chickened out ( due to the mammoth size of the R154 ). maybe some day I will revisit that project.
for now I'm enjoying the car with a 318 magnum swap.

Good to know. I'll have to try and source one.

I'll stop de-railing the thread now.

What about an SRT-6 swap out of a crossfire?

Im thinking of swapping in either a 3.5 or a 3.6 in my barracuda, I want to hear people's opinions on this, if its a good idea, if it would be very hard to do, etc. Thanks.

I love the idea, but you will be pioneering a lot of parts to make it work.

Personally i prefer the sound of a tuned v6, and old mopar engine bay would give you plenty of room for turbos.

I think it's a damn good idea. V6 makes good power these days. Wiring it is where I'd run into trouble.

-
Back