66 barracuda tach help

-

mikebee

now's the new later...
Reaction score
what color is the tach wire that goes to the coil?also where is it located in the harness @ fire wall?

i searched this forum and all over the web and really couldn't find any real good pix.

thanks![FONT]

On my 65 it's a gray wire to the coil from the tach's sardine can sending unit behind the driver side kick panel... right by your hi/lo beam switch. Not sure it's the same for 66, but might be a good place to start looking??

this 66 has a place for 2 wires on the back of the tach and no wires anywhere near it.

it's supposed to be an "s" car...just not really sure how to tell.the cluster is silver and the 66 "s" i had years ago had a woodgrain bezel.

There is a small pigtail wiring harness that goes from the tach to the sardine can and to the back of the fuse box. The 2 terminals on the back of the tach are 12v and the meter wire! If my car was here I could shoot a pic of the wiring setup, and Don is correct that the coil lead is grey with a black tracer and goes through the bulkhead.

Message me if you need a pic and a pic of the wiring diagram for 66 Cuda,'but ill need an email address to send the pics to!! Geof

this 66 has a place for 2 wires on the back of the tach and no wires anywhere near it.

it's supposed to be an "s" car...just not really sure how to tell.the cluster is silver and the 66 "s" i had years ago had a woodgrain bezel.

Woodgrain bezel in 66??? Never heard of that!!!

I found this... Wire diagram 66 and gray to the coil... just like my 65

Attachments

• tachdiagram.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 450
  • tach_sending.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 380
I haven't either. No woodgrain in 66 (or any early A's that I can think of...).

i need to get pics of the 66 cluster next time i get a chance.
i bought the 66 "s" out of a junk yard....looked all factory,wrecked in the 70s or 80s.i sold all the formula s stuff to a guy about 15 miles from me and he still has the 66 he put it all in.

it looks a little funny,almost like a super bee 150 speedo.

thanks guys,i'll check in the am if it has the sender under the kick panel.

@ cosgig... Who's Don?:D

Oops, my mistake....I thought 65 Dartman mentioned the grey wire!! Stupid small text on these phones has my eyesight going quickly nowadays!! Geof

Also, to Mikebee, you can also get the new tach board and mount it under the dash without the sardine can!! The can itself is stupid expensive!!

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread but I haven't heard of the tach board to replace the sardine can???
Where from please Geof?

Gary, it used to be made by Real Time Engineering, but I think they sold out and now Insturment Specialties does the boards. They do them for all Mopar tachs, with their biggest seller being the Tic Toc Tach conversion!! Geof

thanks for tha info...i had seen that diafragm on google but didn't know what it was.

the sender is in the car just above the dr. side kick panel and has a 3 wire harness on it....but thats it,so i'll make a harness and try it out.

thanks,
mike

thanks for tha info...i had seen that diafragm on google but didn't know what it was.

the sender is in the car just above the dr. side kick panel and has a 3 wire harness on it....but thats it,so i'll make a harness and try it out.

thanks,
mike
Basically that's all it is Yellow, Blue, Gray... a 3 wire harness!! (Not count grounds)

well,made a cool little harness and no go....it has an after market tach,so i guess were going to worry about getting the updated stuff later to fix the factory one.

thanks for tha help guys...

-
Back