66 Barracuda Transmission kickdown linkage

-

bmw88rider

Reaction score
HI Everybody.

I have a quick question on the throttle and transmission kickdown linkage for the 66 V8 with the A904 and the Carter BBD Carb. The car has never shifted right as long as we have owned the car. It's never downshifted right and just the whole thing was not right.

I got the Cable kit from Mancini but I don't like how much you need to beat on the floorboards to make the locating bracket fit on the rear of the transmission.

So I downloaded the factory service manual from from MyMopar.com and was looking at the diagrams and my kick down linkage looks like the one from the one pictured for Belvedere (page 14-82) with the slotted piece and the dual return springs springs and not the one listed for the Valiant with the ball and socket connection to the carb and the single return spring. (page 14-84) Does anyone know which one is right? It's a late production car. April 1966 from what I can tell. I'm assuming the service manual would have it right.

Thanks,

Mike

Transmission shot.....NOT Normal, due to floor. AFB carb shown. Down shift linkage very close to 2 barrel.

Attachments

• 09-04-2012-2 cleaned shift linkage and clearanced exhaust.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 424
  • 04-2012-5 fuel filter installed.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 390
Thanks AMX. That's just what I thought. That looks like pictures in the FSM. That may be a part of my issues.

Is there any tags on the motor or transmission to know where it came from? I know they didn't vin stamp the early A Bodies.

I'm going to try and adjust it per the Belvedere instructions in the FSM and go from there.

I did find that there was a lot of slack instead of moving almost immediately when the throttle was pressed.

Kickdown linkage spring not installed in picture and important for function.

Check this video. It shows the carb end of the linkage, springs, etc. Then the dude goes ramblin' off with a bad case of sniffles

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lHmn8UUylg"]Dodge truck accelerator linkage and air cleaner modification - YouTube[/ame]

BC

-
Back