66 dart dash removal

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I am ready to remove the dash on the Dart. I did a search and everything I find says that the windshield needs removed, however I think those post are for newer darts. I looked under the dash and I see what appears to be sheet metal screws at the top near the windshield. Inside at the bottom of the windshield there is a plastic or rubber trim that I think the heads could be under there. Is this correct or does the windshield have to come out? Also if the strip can be removed to get to these screws where can I get a new trim? Again this trim is just below the windshield on the interior side.
Thanks
Rodney

That trim is the windshield rubber seal. Its a one piece all the way around the windshield .I'm pretty sure you have to pull the windshield to get the screws out from the top of the dash. For some reason I remember something about cutting the screws from the bottom ( so that they're shorter and easier to sneak out). Probably a good idea to remove the windshield anyway to check for any rusty spots.

It is possible to cut the hardware out from underneath with a die grinder but... Everything else would need to come out for access to all of them. Second gen A has 5 short bolts in U nuts.

The screws sit right below the windshield. But the orientation makes it nearly impossible to get at them. Pulling the windshield is the right way to go.

OK, thanks for all the replys. I plan on pulling the windshield but just wasnt ready to do that yet. Is the windshield rubber re useable or do I need to plan on a new one? What is a good vendor?
Thanks
Rodney

You can re-use the windshield rubber,just make sure it,s nice and warm when removing and re-installing.Worked for me.:cheers:

To reuse the rubber means very carefully removing or breaking the glass. Then hours of thoroughly cleaning the rubber.
To replace the rubber lets you cut the window out with a razor.
If you trust aftermarket rubber to be quality material and fit, It's probably worth the coin.
I personally reuse the rubber whenever possible so I can put my coins toward a new glass.

windshield removal is not the difficult, heat is your friend meaning sunshine, also a pliable gasket is nice.

use plastic wedges,(I've use wood shims) have plenty of time set aside & work the rubber gasket loose from the windshield.

take the lock strip out & clean up the old grime /debris built up in the gasket.

Lawrence

-
Back