66 Dart oil pan

-

dbednarsky

Reaction score
I am asking for help yet again. I am one step closer to getting this car on the road but here is my current dilema. It is a 66 Dart that had a Slant 6 in it. I am putting a 318 in there. I ordered the conversion from Year One which allows me to use the /6 K-Member but stuff the 318 in there. I have been told by 1 person at year one that I needed to use a low profile center sump oil pan, which they want $239.00 I then called back and talked to another guy who said the stock pan is fine, but he wasn't 100% sure, so he told me to email tech support. Well still waiting for an email back, but not going to hold my breath. You guys have been great on here, so I am hoping you can help with this. Does anyone know that oil pan can be used?

"Stock oil pan" ? What was the 318 pulled from ?
I dont know for sure but I would think the pan and 90 degree filter adapter from 273 or 318 that was in a A-body would be required.

some of the earlier cars have a straight centerlink that doesn't allow V8 oil pan clearance...the V8 cars have a "dropped" centerlink...i think your 66 will be fine...

You'll need the V8 center link for sure and you may have to add a dimple or two in the #388 oil pan to get a bit more clearence for the steering linkage. As chrysklerfat mentioned, the k-member is the same between the 6 and 8 that year. You should be able to use the factory 273 parts to fit that 318 in. Which transmission are you using? Some need more than others to get them to fit that application.

I had a 318 out of a 74 dart in my 66 dart. I had to put a dent in the side of the oil pan. The V8 centerlink would clear underneath of it if the wheels were pointing straight ahead but if you turned the wheels all the way the centerlink would bump into the pan.

I had two oil pans I sold and one had some different reliefs in it, makes sence now to clear the steering arm....I hope I kept the right one, I'll have to look when I get home.

-
Back