66 Dart Owners thread

-
Stock the 4 barrel 273 with 10.5 to 1 was rated at 235hp. The two barrel was 180hp.

I have a 66 Dart that I am trying to install a 340 in, having trouble finding motor mount for the passenger side as they are different from the 273 I removed.

I have a 66 Dart that I am trying to install a 340 in, having trouble finding motor mount for the passenger side as they are different from the 273 I removed.

check out engine-swaps.com they should have it or know where to get it.

Here's a shot of my Dart in the Hudson Days Parade. It was our 40th. class reunion. A
There's a couple hot chicks in the back seat. I wish we were back there with them! LOL tmm

Attachments

• 945160_10201408132586037_321480168_n.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 671
  • 993937_660979957263593_1219561699_n.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 667
What a great tread! Hello, I am Rodney and from Red Lion Pa. I just joined this forum only 2 or 3 days ago. I've spent the last few nights reading posts and looking at pics of everyone's 66 Darts. Today I brought one home. This is not my first Dart as I owned a 70 Swinger 340 CI in 79, then a 66 GT 273 CI back in 1981. Both have been sold long, long ago! I didnt have any sporty cars other then family vans and big Pontiacs until 7 years ago when I bought my first vette a 1974. 4 years later I bought a 2nd vette a did a full mod/restore on it. But owning them just didnt feel right and I kept looking back at Dodge's. 2 Weeks ago I attended a Muscle car madness weekend event for the old York US 30 Drag Reunion and I couldn't help but wish I still had a Dodge again. Well today I do! I have so many questions on where to start and find parts. I dont plan on an original restore. I want HP! I want lots of rear tire up under the fender wells! I want the right hood scoop! I'm in no hurry but cant wait to get started. Thanks for helping with the inspiration to go back to being a "Dodge Boy" once again! Here are a few pics of my purchase. Hope they post.
http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/rod7515/slideshow/66%20Dart

Rodney

a> style="border:none;" alt="rod7515&

Hi, I just purchased a 66 Dart GT that I saw at a local car show. An all original 6/auto that is in real nice condition.

It was a one owner car when the previous owners purchased it and brought it to New Zealand. Full credit for the excellent condition the car is in must go to them.

A lot of work has been done to the car since it's arrival here. Full suspension rebuild, new brakes, new radiator, new tires, all chrome trim is in great condition. It had any small dents removed and was repainted with a new vynil roof.

It has electronic ignition, headers and dual barrel carb. Runs and drives real nice.

It still has the original certicard.

I have just fitted a stereo (I intend to do a lot of miles in this car) I made a custom console in a period style to fit the stereo and extra gauges. The speakers are mounted in the rear parcel shelf covered by the standard rear cover.

I am having a few flaws in the interior repaired and will be looking at getting the alloy trim pieces re anodised.

My wife and I want to use it to tow a small caravan and spend some time driving around attending some car events.

Hope it meets with your approval.

You've found a real nice one there and I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy it.
Welcome to the group and keep us posted on your car and your travels. Nice job on the console too! Mike

What a great tread! Hello, I am Rodney and from Red Lion Pa. I just joined this forum only 2 or 3 days ago. I've spent the last few nights reading posts and looking at pics of everyone's 66 Darts. Today I brought one home. This is not my first Dart as I owned a 70 Swinger 340 CI in 79, then a 66 GT 273 CI back in 1981. Both have been sold long, long ago! I didnt have any sporty cars other then family vans and big Pontiacs until 7 years ago when I bought my first vette a 1974. 4 years later I bought a 2nd vette a did a full mod/restore on it. But owning them just didnt feel right and I kept looking back at Dodge's. 2 Weeks ago I attended a Muscle car madness weekend event for the old York US 30 Drag Reunion and I couldn't help but wish I still had a Dodge again. Well today I do! I have so many questions on where to start and find parts. I dont plan on an original restore. I want HP! I want lots of rear tire up under the fender wells! I want the right hood scoop! I'm in no hurry but cant wait to get started. Thanks for helping with the inspiration to go back to being a "Dodge Boy" once again! Here are a few pics of my purchase. Hope they post.
http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/rod7515/slideshow/66%20Dart

Rodney

a> style="border:none;" alt="rod7515&

Rodney, Sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier. It must have slipped through the cracks here. FABO is so busy that your post can be 3 or 4 pages back in a matter of a few hours. I like your Dart. Silver with a red interior is a sharp combination! Sounds like you want to make a hot rod and that sounds like fun. Sounds like a stroker and mini tub is in your plans and that's perfect for these cars. There are many here that have built that combination with great results. Keep your build thread going with lots of photos. Mike

Here is my 1966 Dart 3.9 Magnum power

i really like the v6 with fuel injection swap! how was the wiring part of the
project ? i see you used the stock computer, was everything else stock ,sensors ,etc. your car is the first i have seen to use this v-6. it looks like it was made for the car! professional looking job well done!

Here's my '66. I did the body and had the paint shot by a local shop--2007 BMW Mini Cooper Oxygen Blue.

Disc brakes, 4.5" bolt pattern, slant 6 with dutra duals and dual short glasspacks. Sure does take me back to high school--very early sixties.

I removed all of the nameplates for a smoother look. It's a GT, but I like the appearance of the 270 trunk trim better. The GT trim takes away from the smooth look--my opinion only.

Wheels are 14X6 front and 14X7 rear from Early Wheel Company. I used 195/70R14 tires.

It has an automatic transmission and 2.76 rear gears for a nice highway driver.

After two attempts to install a headliner and one attempt to install the Legendary seat materials, I had an upholstery shop do it and it is just wonderful now.

Even with the 2.76 gears and at this altitude, the car has plenty of power and the dual exhaust really cackles when under load. There's a nice sound when cruising on the freeway, not at all difficult to listen to, except that my wife would like it a little quieter.

I rebuilt the engine with a .030 overbore and everything new inside. Two bbl carb and stock camshaft work just fine. It now has about 700 miles on it without a single issue.

Oh yeah, I installed a Classic Auto Air system for summertime comfort.

Jerry in Denver

Attachments

• 100_0992.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 586
  • November, 2013 044.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 538
  • November, 2013 042.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 548
  • November, 2013 034.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 531
  • November, 2013 033.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 530
  • November, 2013 035.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 563
  • November, 2013 036.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 553
I like the twin gauges on the column. I made a set of them for a Ford (can I say that?) convertible I had. I would make a set for my '66 but it is a column shift. :sad:

Hey Toolmanmike I have a 66 Dart GT convert that I've been working on for the last 13 years. I got pictures to show but still learning how, not very good with this computer stuff. It's a 340 4 speed and I had it painted 2 years ago Viper silver. I think the body shop used spandox paint. New top and interior is almost done. The last 2 years I've been driving the Dart out to Ohio to the Mopar Nationals, me and 1 or 2 friends caravan out there with friends we have in PA.

Hey Toolmanmike I have a 66 Dart GT convert that I've been working on for the last 13 years. I got pictures to show but still learning how, not very good with this computer stuff. It's a 340 4 speed and I had it painted 2 years ago Viper silver. I think the body shop used spandox paint. New top and interior is almost done. The last 2 years I've been driving the Dart out to Ohio to the Mopar Nationals, me and 1 or 2 friends caravan out there with friends we have in PA.[Hey anyone out there with a 66 dart wagon 4 sale 273 auto, /QUOTE]

Our work in progress, working on wiring now, front end is done with disc, 8.75 rear end waiting in the wings, along with passenger side floor pan, kinda rat roddie but we love er. Paint job complements of my house painter wife and Dunn Edwards house paint over an oil base primer both rolled on. I cut my teeth on body work and welding were i removed trim and trunk pannel. My hat is off to everyone here doing insane work on the coolest cars, Jeff N Terri

Attachments

• WIN_20140112_111518.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 407
  • WIN_20140112_111648.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 415
Hey Toolmanmike I have a 66 Dart GT convert that I've been working on for the last 13 years. I got pictures to show but still learning how, not very good with this computer stuff. It's a 340 4 speed and I had it painted 2 years ago Viper silver. I think the body shop used spandox paint. New top and interior is almost done. The last 2 years I've been driving the Dart out to Ohio to the Mopar Nationals, me and 1 or 2 friends caravan out there with friends we have in PA.[Hey anyone out there with a 66 dart wagon 4 sale 273 auto, /QUOTE]
Welcome! You'll catch on how to do photos here. the trickiest part is if your shots are too large and have to be reduced. Sounds like you have a great combination. I have a lot of fun with my 273 and I can't imagine what trouble I'd get into with a healthy 340. LOL I may catch you at the Nats. I have made the trip for the last few years. I hosted a Meet and Greet a few years ago and met a buch of fine FABO folks. Hemi Denny has been hosting a get together for us at his large tent across from the staging lanes and is a great place to meet. Hope to see you there.

Is there anyone running Hooker 5204 headers on their 66 Dart??

I looked up the headers and the application is pretty sketchy for early A's. They have early A Valiants but not Darts listed. Hopefully someone will chime in with the correct answer. tmm

Our work in progress, working on wiring now, front end is done with disc, 8.75 rear end waiting in the wings, along with passenger side floor pan, kinda rat roddie but we love er. Paint job complements of my house painter wife and Dunn Edwards house paint over an oil base primer both rolled on. I cut my teeth on body work and welding were i removed trim and trunk pannel. My hat is off to everyone here doing insane work on the coolest cars, Jeff N Terri

Jeff and Terri. Welcome! Love your 66 and I'm with you on the work in progress. Mine has been that way for many years now but as long as you move forward and enjoy it along the way, it doesn't have to be a show car to be able to enjoy it. Glad to hear you wife is in on the project too. That's good to hear. Keep up the good work and keep those progress photos comin'. tmm I have a "rat rod" too! lol

Attachments

• 002 (2).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 427
Hi, I just purchased a 66 Dart GT that I saw at a local car show. An all original 6/auto that is in real nice condition.

It was a one owner car when the previous owners purchased it and brought it to New Zealand. Full credit for the excellent condition the car is in must go to them.

A lot of work has been done to the car since it's arrival here. Full suspension rebuild, new brakes, new radiator, new tires, all chrome trim is in great condition. It had any small dents removed and was repainted with a new vynil roof.

It has electronic ignition, headers and dual barrel carb. Runs and drives real nice.

It still has the original certicard.

I have just fitted a stereo (I intend to do a lot of miles in this car) I made a custom console in a period style to fit the stereo and extra gauges. The speakers are mounted in the rear parcel shelf covered by the standard rear cover.

I am having a few flaws in the interior repaired and will be looking at getting the alloy trim pieces re anodised.

My wife and I want to use it to tow a small caravan and spend some time driving around attending some car events.

Hope it meets with your approval.
That console is bitchin did you make it out of MDF? The issue I'm having is where the console meets the floor over the tunnel its tough to get it to flow into the carpet without it looking sloppy.

Well after tryn to get into my amp meter bi pass and VR upgrade it has become clear a complete re wire is in order, surprise surprise. Well im not worried about keeping it stock with that wire block in the firewall opperational so any input on were to look for a set up that has the A M bass and VR upgrade would be great, im thinkn the site that had the bi pass instructions MAD? Car has a petronix installed by previous owner, I found bad splices and blistering butt connectors thank you all for any help

That console is bitchin did you make it out of MDF? The issue I'm having is where the console meets the floor over the tunnel its tough to get it to flow into the carpet without it looking sloppy.

I cheated. I put a layer of plastic over it(the hump, wrapping the shift selector good to keep foam out of there) and went to the store and got some spray foam for the windows and doors. made a couple of passes with the foam (2 or 3 cans of it) and waited for it to set up. that gave me a base to carve out so that I could do the top part. it fit's like a glove on my friends car and now I have to do it again for mine, I'll take pictures of doing it this time.:glasses7:

Some mdf and some pieces of timber left over from another project. The piece of timber shown in the first photo under the console was just to set the height while I made the sides.

It attaches with two small screws under the a/c. The centre was painted in a vht wrinkle black and the chrome trim is self adhesive. The sides were covered in a dark blue vinyl to match the carpet. It is all held together with a quick set epoxy glue.

I made it because I did not like the extra gauges hanging below the dash and I also needed somewhere to put a stereo as I wanted to leave the original (non working) radio in the dash.

Alf that is a way sweet console for sure nice custom work I am thinkin the Ron Francis stuff, a clean well lit site, hook line n sinker, my reviews in a few weeks

-
Back