66 Dart still surgeing.Electrical??

-
Checked my plugs,there all good.Any other suggestions?Idles fine,and goes when you get on it but cruising it still surges?Help!

I had a GM act that way years ago and found the button worn out in the dist. cap that touches the rotor.

what is the basic setup you have going now, the more info the better. things like total timing and when its all in by, vacuum advance or no, initial, carb. setup, vacuum at idle, etc. its probably going to be ignition related and since it ran good before the track you just have to think about what changed or what could have been damaged having the timing way off.

balancer will make it appear your timing is jumping but its not. you cant light time with a bad damper but it only affects the harmonics not the actual timing. try to set timing by feel without the light to see if surge goes away. sounds like more of a fuel pressure issue.

I had a friend (old mechanic)come over today to try and look at my timing.This new harmonic balancer has 3 marks on it?We couldn,t set it with the light,so I,m gonna have to pull a plug,get tdc and mark the balancer.Ran out of time today,wanted to go racing so I loaded the 73 Dart Sport up.Here,s the screwed part.One of my neighbours comes out and says..when you run your cars,our windows shake in the house!Well should I push the car on the trailer.Your 2 dogs bark all day while I try to sleep(on afternoons)He says..well I,m going to complain!Take a freakin hike chummzee!

Have you tried free revving it up to the stutter?
It's a bit dangerous due to the fan, but if you have a tach, rev it from inside and get the reading, retard the timing some, then rev it to the rpms where it last stuttered, if it's less, or goes away, either the distributor's advance mechanism is faulty or you're running poor quality fuel.
A severely worn timing chain or loose pump/distributor shaft bushing will cause timing issues, too.

BTW, have you checked the vacuum readings, yet?

Mark.

Fishy68,he just had new windows put in last month!Sorry about his luck!LOL!

Mark,vacuum is high 15-18,haven,t checked fuel pressure?I may need to run higher octane then 87?91 maybe?I talked to another member at the track tonight,he said I should pull the 340 outta the Dart Sport,put it in the 66.Get the 360 straightened out and put it in the 73 Dart Sport for a cruiser.Maybe this winter??LOL!Having 2 cars and a 4X4 truck is getting $$!

I,m wondering now,maybe the chain has jumped?Maybe the guy did a cheap re-build and didn,t change the chain and gears?HHMM??

If i remember right on my pioneer I had a few short marks then one the went the whole width. the full width one should be the tdc mark.

If i remember right on my pioneer I had a few short marks then one the went the whole width. the full width one should be the tdc mark.
I,ll have to check?I think all 3 were the same on mine.I marked them with a yellow paint marker.

Sometimes in extremely rare situations the alternator can cause an electrical short...meaning that something inside the alt. is grounding out the positive circuit direct to ground which would cause the surge that you are experiencing...so, have you had the alt. checked for shorts?...that can be the problem or you have a power feed coming from under the dash that could be rubbing against the chassis somewhere, the circuit that feeds the ignition...this is why during acceleration as the engine starts to vibrate, this wire is vibrating against another wire or the frame...I had fixed a guys Blazer where he kept having his stereo cut out on him...found a very small rub mark where the positive cable was just rubbing on the frame just enough that when he hit a bump it would short out long enough to cut off the radio.

That's the way mine is too. The short marks are every 90 degrees. Only the full width mark is for #1 cyl. and it's alot skinnier mark than the 3 short marks.

I had a friend (old mechanic)come over today to try and look at my timing.This new harmonic balancer has 3 marks on it?We couldn,t set it with the light,so I,m gonna have to pull a plug,get tdc and mark the balancer.Ran out of time today,wanted to go racing so I loaded the 73 Dart Sport up.Here,s the screwed part.One of my neighbours comes out and says..when you run your cars,our windows shake in the house!Well should I push the car on the trailer.Your 2 dogs bark all day while I try to sleep(on afternoons)He says..well I,m going to complain!Take a freakin hike chummzee!
My Neighbors are great. My 500 horse Cramaro (sorry again), used to make the kid next door cry and shake the plates in all 3 town houses. The guys on both sides thought it was awsome..........car guys. My Dart is not as loud...........Not YET.8)

Sometimes in extremely rare situations the alternator can cause an electrical short...meaning that something inside the alt. is grounding out the positive circuit direct to ground which would cause the surge that you are experiencing...so, have you had the alt. checked for shorts?...that can be the problem or you have a power feed coming from under the dash that could be rubbing against the chassis somewhere, the circuit that feeds the ignition...this is why during acceleration as the engine starts to vibrate, this wire is vibrating against another wire or the frame...I had fixed a guys Blazer where he kept having his stereo cut out on him...found a very small rub mark where the positive cable was just rubbing on the frame just enough that when he hit a bump it would short out long enough to cut off the radio.
I,m gonna have to go over my wiring.Before I took it to the track,I had taped up(and tie strapped)all my new wiring job(for elec.ign.).I guess I,ll be unwrapping it to search a loose end?I,m gonna take it all apart and start fresh(soldering every connection)I don,t trust the little elec. connectors.I did shrinkwrap everything though.Oh well back to the drawing board.I,ll wait till my holidays at the end of the month.Oh yeah,it,s a brand new 2 prong alternator.

Well,here I am on my Holidays!I,ve got a new harness for underhood,mine has been fried,tied and then fried again from PO(got the car not running)I had to re-wire quite abit to get it running with the slant in it.Now I,ve got the 8 in it and electronic ign.I,ve got a newer(great shape)harness from member(65Dartman)Thanks.Also have a line on a 360 Magnum.I,m gonna pull the 77 360,rewire everything,then put the magnum in.The 77 is gonna get stroked over the winter,for next springs race season.So here I go,back to wrenching!I,ll post my findings with the 77 360 when it,s apart.Thanks to everyone for suggestions,I couldn,t figure this one out after all the failed checking this checking that with limited time(work,daughter).It,s easier for me to just start fresh and can also drive the car while my other motor get,s done.Thanks everyone!

Well I,m sure I,ve found my surge!I had the intake and D.side head off last week,then left it for this week.I went and pulled the pass. head off this morning.Valve tops are mushrromed!Now this was a re-built motor,.030 over flat tops,crank .010 over and a crane hyd.energizer cam 480 lift.Is this cam to big for a 77 360 or did the PO crank the rocker arm down to tight?I,m stuck here what to do?Do I get the heads redone?Buy eddies?Or just go but a 360 magnum for $500?Any suggestion will help?Thanks guys!

P.S sorry about crappy pics.

engine issues 001.jpg

engine issues 002.jpg

engine issues 003.jpg

engine issues 004.jpg

engine issues 005.jpg

Hummm. .480 lift cam and truck style heads with valve rotators. Don't sound like a good combo to me. They might have been coil binding and that's why they the valves are mushroomed. Are the intake valves mushroomed as well as the exhaust valves? Can't tell real good cause the pics are real blurry but it looks like it's just the exhaust valves?? Also check your cam and lifters real good (don't mix up the lifters, but you probably already know that). If it was spring binding it might have wiped the cam and lifters out.

-
Back