66 Dart still surgeing.Electrical??

-
What a speacial thanks isn,t enough?LOL!

WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

1.jpg

now I wonder what it will run with the timing set right. heck you might pick up another half a second.

I,m picking up a brand new one tomorrow.Hope the bad one doesn,t seperate when I pull it off?I,d like to have atleast one quick easy repair,not getting any younger.LOL!Not an afternoon repair.I,m sure she,ll light up the skins now.:cheers:

P.S Toolman bring beer!!

Shouldn't be any problem puling it using a harmonic balancer puller cause you pull from the inner part. Not the outer ring.

no, you should be good to go but I would say put a new seal on the timing cover.

no, you should be good to go but I would say put a new seal on the timing cover.

Wouldnt you have to pull the front cover to get a new seal on it??? Is this a small block???? If it is a small block and you have some sort of trick I would like to see it for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would personally check the plugs/wires too. While its running, pull a plug wire one at a time(reinstall), until you find no change. That is the problem cylinder.

two ways to do it with the cover still on. one is just a large flat blade screwdriver and angle it into the lip and pry it out. other way is to carefully screw a couple drywall screws into the metal of the seal then use a claw prybar and a piece of wood as a wedge to pry it out.

I would personally check the plugs/wires too. While its running, pull a plug wire one at a time(reinstall), until you find no change. That is the problem cylinder.
It,s running on 8?Plug wires are new.?Check out the seal on the balancer in last post.

The seal on the timing cover is removed and installed with the timing cover removed.
Get your damper back on, time the engine, then throw a vacuum gauge on it and tell me what you see.
I have my ideas what it can be and what the vacuum gauge does will say whether or not I am right in my suspicions.

Mark.

A couple ways to make life easier and save a little time too. if your worried about scratching the crank just put tape around it. the same thing can be done for input and output seals on your trans. and your pinion seal. the socket is the same size as a crank and this is all much easier to do this than remove your pump and timing cover.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I,m hoping this is the proper balancer?How much can these seperate?Looking at the new one compard to the old one,width of 2 pieces?Seperated width?

Check the number for your application online like summit or jegs. or if its from a company like pioneer you can often find their online catalogue.

Does your original balancer look like the new one you have or the one Camd showed in his picture? Yours should be the new style that looks like the replacement you have since your engine is a 77. I'm not positive but I think they
d interchange anyway. I know they are balanced the same.

The balancer I have is a Pioneer DA-3602.I just hope I don,t have pully alighnment issues?It,s going on today!

Despite looking different, they are the same balance and the pulley fitment is the same.
pbd, I won't share my suspicions until you can get a vacuum reading, but I will give away a hint when I say "the biggest thing I want to know is how severely the needle fluctuates at idle."

Mark.

Despite looking different, they are the same balance and the pulley fitment is the same.
pbd, I won't share my suspicions until you can get a vacuum reading, but I will give away a hint when I say "the biggest thing I want to know is how severely the needle fluctuates at idle."

Mark.

Sounds like you may be thinking valve trouble.

Yeah it may run on 8 at idle, but to me it sounds like a cracked plug. They don't show themselves til under load. Just cuz they're new doesn't mean they are good or are still good.

Hey Scott, I forgot, does your 66 have electronic ignition? One of the first things I did to the 65 was install the MP kit and loose the old points stuff. You might want the silver control box though for a track car.........orange one works fine for me. My car runs and starts 100 times better now. Just a thought.

Well I still have the surgeing?65Vart,yes I have the electronic ign. also a chrome box.(have an orange box spare)I,m gonna check my plugs in the morning.I,ve got 15 @2500rpm on the vac. gauge,timing set at 34.Hope it,s just the plugs?I want to go racing!

-
Back