66 Formula S 4 spd on craigslist (not mine)

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
Happen to find this using craigslist national search. The car attracted my interest because it is an original CA 1966 Formula S Barracuda with factory 4 speed. I must admit, I'm partial to early 4 speed Formula S Barracudas, so discovering one that was also optioned with buffed silver (AA1) paint led me to seek more information from the owner.

Big problem is the car in Stockton, CA and I live in VA., which eliminates checking it out personally. I was finally able to have owner email me a picture of the fender tag and the car is a legit Formula S 4 speed car.

Pictures show a car needing a complete restoration (including a rear window, according to the owner, "shot out by kids with a bb gun") Car has been inop for at least 7 years, but runs when gas is poured down the carb...etc. Condition of the running gear is unknown.
The owner is a lady, but unfortunately she does not know if the rear end is 7 1/4" or 8 3/4", but the certicard indicates factory suregrip.
My interested waned when I was unable to have the car checked out by a knowledgeable A body person....and it would have to be transported as an inop across the US (and without a rear window), adding at least $1000 to the purchase price.

I think the car is worth saving, but I don't think I'll do the saving.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, check the craigslist ad out:

http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/4797317506.html

Offer them 3G and then have it trucked home. I dont think they will even get an offer close to 3G in that shape in Cali.

Cool car and Definetly worth saving IMO, can't find solid ones like that here.

Those old early Barracuda 273's are great cars!

Offer them 3G and then have it trucked home. I dont think they will even get an offer close to 3G in that shape in Cali.

3G would be a premium price to pay...way to many surprises lurking.
Here is the fender tag

Attachments

• 66 Barr FS AA1 craigslist fender tag 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 362
I always wanted a 4 barrel 273 barracuda with a 4 speed but they always seem to fall between my fingers or cost far too much. Its almost like the people that don't know a lot about cars see "barracuda" and want a premium for them around here. That 66 posted on reply 3, I was supposed to go see it and the guy totally flaked out and stopped replying before I had a chance to see it in person, so I bought a dart sport instead.

Thats what a 66 floor shifter looks like? Just never seen one...There was a guy in Morrow Bay, CA that has 3 rear windows for the asking last time I saw a post by him (years ago).

I have a back window for a 66 around here somewhere.... :banghead:

If it were me, I would offer what you think is fair. Find out what the cost is to have it shipped to you and make an offer. I have seen them in the same condition for much less. You may even be able to get a local out this way to give it a look and check for hidden surprises.

Don't give up and good luck!

Mike

Happen to find this using craigslist national search. The car attracted my interest because it is an original CA 1966 Formula S Barracuda with factory 4 speed. I must admit, I'm partial to early 4 speed Formula S Barracudas, so discovering one that was also optioned with buffed silver (AA1) paint led me to seek more information from the owner.

Big problem is the car in Stockton, CA and I live in VA., which eliminates checking it out personally. I was finally able to have owner email me a picture of the fender tag and the car is a legit Formula S 4 speed car.

Pictures show a car needing a complete restoration (including a rear window, according to the owner, "shot out by kids with a bb gun") Car has been inop for at least 7 years, but runs when gas is poured down the carb...etc. Condition of the running gear is unknown.
The owner is a lady, but unfortunately she does not know if the rear end is 7 1/4" or 8 3/4", but the certicard indicates factory suregrip.
My interested waned when I was unable to have the car checked out by a knowledgeable A body person....and it would have to be transported as an inop across the US (and without a rear window), adding at least $1000 to the purchase price.

I think the car is worth saving, but I don't think I'll do the saving.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, check the craigslist ad out:

http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/4797317506.html

If it were me, I would offer what you think is fair. Find out what the cost is to have it shipped to you and make an offer. I have seen them in the same condition for much less. You may even be able to get a local out this way to give it a look and check for hidden surprises.

Don't give up and good luck!

Mike

Hi and thanks for your comments. I posted a FABO request asking if anyone would be willing to look at the car on my behalf, but didn't get a response/offer. Talking with the owner on the phone didn't yield a lot of encouraging information either. I decided the car had too many unknowns for me. I really wouldn't know what to offer....if I lived a couple hundred miles away from the car, I would sure enough check it out for myself. But in this case....3000 miles convinced me to walk away.
I already own three Formula S 4 speed cars..one 65 and two 66's. I really need to cease my additive searches, three is enough.

To the post asking how is this a Formula S car? The number 7 under "f" on the fender tag indicates the Formula S option.

-
Back