66 Formula S in MOPAR Muscle

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
I picked up a copy of MOPAR Muscle in the airport last week. It happened to be the March issue. So, I'm on the plane reading the magazine and to my pleasant surprise they had a nice article on a 66 Formula S Barracuda (near and dear to my heart). Great looking car. Anyone know if the owner is a FABO member?

Two things caught my attention: one, it does not have the "Wood Rimmed" steering wheel, I guess this was not part of the Formula S package; and two, it has no Console, I thought this was part of the Formula S package. They indicate in the article that this may be an early 66 unit, maybe that's the deal.

Anyway, it is a good article and I love seeing A-Bodies get some press.

David

The console is not part of the Formula S package. Not sure about the wood grained steering wheel. A friend of mine had a 66 Formula S that did not have the console. There are some weird cars out there that may have been special ordered. My 66 is not a Formula S, but came with the 150 speedo, tach, HD suspension, 235 hp 273, sure-grip, disk brakes, wood grained steering wheel & console 4 speed. It had a vinyl top, too. Whoever ordered it, like the vinyl top but also wanted all of the go-fast goodies.

That is really cool there's an article on a '66 Barracuda - I'll need to get a copy of that.

Here's a list of the FS content and the options, a lot of stuff that you'd think aren't included like disc brakes and the steering wheel:

From early Valiant/Barracuda site: http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/2207.html?1165590450
Formula S Features:
·235 hp Commando 273 V-8 Engine
· Carter aluminum 4-barrel
· 10.5:1 compression dome-top pistons
· high lift, high-overlap cam
· dual breaker points
· solid lifters
· special intake with unsilenced chrome air cleaner
· black crinkle Hemi style valve covers with aluminum fins
· chrome Hemi style PCV valve
· Hemi style ignition wire grommets
·Rallye Suspension Package
· 16:1 fast ratio steering box
· 5 leaf rear springs
· over-size front torsion bars (.87”)
· front anti-sway bar (13/16”)
· firm ride shock absorbers

· Tachometer
· 10” drum brakes
· 6.95 x 14" Special Blue Streak tires
· Heavy Gauge Wide-Rim 5.5" x 14" Wheels
· 14" Bolt-On Design Wheel Covers
· 2” chrome lug nuts
· Formula S Badges
· 2 ¼” Low pressure exhaust with chrome tipped resonator

Barracuda options:
· 8 ¾” Sure-Grip 3.23:1 differential
· front disc brakes
· automatic transmission
· power steering, power brakes
· safety padding
· front seat belts
· rear seat belts (1966)
· back-up lights
· variable speed wipers and washer
· AM radio w/antenna
· true-round 16” wood grain steering wheel
· racing stripes
· day/night rearview mirror
· side mirror, remote side mirror
· tinted glass all around
· air conditioning
· vinyl roof (1966)

SSVDP,

Thanks for the options listing... I always thought the HD rear springs were 6 leaf (?). I believe mine has 6.

David

The console is not part of the Formula S package. Not sure about the wood grained steering wheel. A friend of mine had a 66 Formula S that did not have the console. There are some weird cars out there that may have been special ordered. My 66 is not a Formula S, but came with the 150 speedo, tach, HD suspension, 235 hp 273, sure-grip, disk brakes, wood grained steering wheel & console 4 speed. It had a vinyl top, too. Whoever ordered it, like the vinyl top but also wanted all of the go-fast goodies.
I've got one just like yours except for the vinyl top but mine is also a heater delete car! Mine is a REAL early one....the earliest VIN I've come across.
Thanks, Mark

SSVDP,

Thanks for the options listing... I always thought the HD rear springs were 6 leaf (?). I believe mine has 6.

David
I agree David, all 5 of mine (and all I have seen) have 6 leaf springs. One other item missing on the list is the 150 MPH speedometer.
Thanks, Mark

My original S-car has a console. As for what your car is.....Rallye-Pac

The console is optional. The woodgrained steering wheel is a sports option.

the bumper and the fender are tweaked a little also, I think its been hit rather hard at one point, repaired, and then hit lightly again, before it was restored. and what is with the article saying it came from the factory with dual exhaust?

-
Back