66 Plymouth Valiant help!

-
Not to hijack the op's thread but can someone clear it up for me. My slant will remain basically stock so I see no need to change from the 71/4 rear end but would like to have the option of big bolt pattern wheels.I have adapters on it right now to roll around while working on it but would prefer not to drive long term with them.Are there big bolt axles for the 7 1/4 and how available and expensive are they?

Thanks for the chart, forgot about it!

@ Charlie - So, by happenstance, I was around the front of my car and I saw brake rotor through the poverty rims. I bought the car on the understanding that there were 9" drums all the way around. So I have disk brakes on the front already, with the stock widowmaker pot, and I also found the proportioning valve. Can't tell what the bolt pattern is since the hub caps are on and circumstances are preventing me from doing anything to the car.
Don't know if the spindles/control arms/joints are the same, or if it was yanked off of a later A body, so this car will have to come apart at some point.

You will need to see what brakes you have on the front. It is possible you have small bolt pattern disc's. The early cars had an option for Kelsey-Hayes discs. These had 4 piston calipers, and the small bolt pattern. Parts are pretty hard to find for these.

Not to hijack the op's thread but can someone clear it up for me. My slant will remain basically stock so I see no need to change from the 71/4 rear end but would like to have the option of big bolt pattern wheels.I have adapters on it right now to roll around while working on it but would prefer not to drive long term with them.Are there big bolt axles for the 7 1/4 and how available and expensive are they?

There are big bolt pattern 7 1/4 rear axles, but they will not fit the small bolt pattern rear housing. You will need to change the complete housing, or redrill your small bolt pattern axles and drums.

You will need to see what brakes you have on the front. It is possible you have small bolt pattern disc's. The early cars had an option for Kelsey-Hayes discs. These had 4 piston calipers, and the small bolt pattern. Parts are pretty hard to find for these.

Calipers and rotors seem readily available as yet. Maybe a few years ago they were a little harder to get but not now.

Too bad you're not closer to me. You could barter your labor for a 7.25 rear perfect for your needs. Good luck

-
Back