'66 Valiant Convert Hi-Po.......

-

WJL

Reaction score
Hello, looking for production #s and other info regarding 1966 Valiant Convertibles equipped with 273/235 hp Commando motors and factory 4-speeds. I have seen/driven/made a 1/4 mi. pass with only 1 of these cars in my lifetime----and I'm no kid, ha....Someone on another website has made a claim that were only 12 of these Hi-Po 1966 Valiant Convertible 4 speed cars originally factory produced. Anyone here in-the-know?? The car I was associated with was ordered by a high school friend. It was dk. green w/blk top, blk int. w/buckets and console, 3.91 sure-grip, Goodyear 14" Bluestreak tires, and of course that rectangular box single exhaust tip, delivered to: Bancroft Chrysler-Plymouth in Worcester, Massachusetts and sporadically, but successfully raced in Stock class at tracks in New England, namely, Orange, Ma., Lebanon Valley, NY, and Connecticut Dragway in East Haddam, Ct....only Lebanon Valley remains, of course....I would like info and maybe locate 1 of these FACTORY equipped cars. Much thanks. WJ

Well, these cars were scarce, but not THAT scarce....
1965 Valiant convertible----2769 build, 235 with 273/235 Commando. I could not get a transmission or rear axle breakdown.
1966 Valiant convertible----2507 build, 188 with 273/235 Commando. Anyone got transmission and/or rear axle breakdowns on these cars that they're willing to share? Thanks. WJL

Are there any '65-6 Ply. Valiant people here that are in-the-know regarding 4 speed and 8&3/4" rear production numbers in the 273/235 convertible, 2dr hdt. and 2dr post cars? WJL

The 8 3/4 will be more scarce as that didnt start in A-bodies till 66.

Or very late 65 production. I parted out a 7/23/65 build date 65 Dart GT that originally had a 273/235 engine with a 4 speed and 8 & 3/4. Still have the rear end complete with original 13 inch wheels.

Don! That's right. From May/June 1965 Dodge offered the 8 3/4 axle for the A-body cars. That was mainly for dragrace cars.

Don! That's right. From May/June 1965 Dodge offered the 8 3/4 axle for the A-body cars. That was mainly for dragrace cars.

Or 273 4 barrel with 4 speeds since the 7.25 axles got tore up pretty regularly with that combination

Hello WJL, I am curious how much you remember about this car from your past. I have a 66 Signet Conv.273/235 4 spd 8 3/4 dark green, black top, black interior, buckets and console. The car has evidence of a racing past. Fenderwells cut out for headers and homemade traction/ladder bar mounts. I can't get under it right now to take a picture. I live in Maryland, so it's possible it could have made it down here. It would be cool if it was the same car. Brian

Hello WJL, I am curious how much you remember about this car from your past. I have a 66 Signet Conv.273/235 4 spd 8 3/4 dark green, black top, black interior, buckets and console. The car has evidence of a racing past. Fenderwells cut out for headers and homemade traction/ladder bar mounts. I can't get under it right now to take a picture. I live in Maryland, so it's possible it could have made it down here. It would be cool if it was the same car. Brian
Hi Brian, I still may be able to get my hands on the vin. of this car, however, it was run pretty much in stock trim by it's original owner...at New England area tracks.....fender wells never carved up by him---for sure. It was pretty much a pure stock low 14 sec. (that was fast back then) car, w/out even headers....just a exhaust cutout welded in ahead of muffler. It WAS a factory 8&3/4" rear though w/factory 3.91's Back in those days alot of us ran Atlas Bucron tires as slicks. They were a great street/drag soft compound tire w/just 2 lines for tread and a bunch of little cuts to disperse water...they were nasty on the road when wet, but worked excellent at the track. Let me see what I can dig up tonite. Thanks for getting back....I'd love to find this car...if it still exists, and the only way it does, is if it was put away, or taken out of salty New England altogether. Again, thanks for getting back....WJL

-
Back