67-69 Dart Ignition Switch Pinout

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was board one day so I checked continuity on all the pins of an ignition switch, The switch is reported to be a 67-69 dash mounted Dart compatible switch.

1. An "X" means the pin to itself
  2. The green highlight indicated continuity
  3. "Open" means no continuity
  4. "Closed" means continuity
  5. There is a GND tab but it is open to all pins and the housing of the switch as well.
  6. ING 1 and ING 2 appear to be a "Make before Break" type switch as there is some continuity between them in a particular position between full start position and the full run position
  7. All tests are between the pin in question and all other pins

upload_2022-5-4_7-10-53.png
upload_2022-5-4_7-11-15.png
upload_2022-5-4_7-11-28.png
upload_2022-5-4_7-11-47.png
upload_2022-5-4_7-12-6.png

Last edited:
upload_2022-5-4_7-12-6-png.png

^^This^^ demonstrates that Ignition 2 and Starter terminals are insulated from each other.
Only when the key is held in start position, are they electrically connected to each other.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upload_2022-5-4_7-10-53-png.png

This is probably the one most people will want to refer to.
B is for Battery, which is shorthand for power regardless of whether its from the alternator or battery.
So this shows which terminals get connected to power when the key is in each position; accessory, off, run, and start.
thumbs_up-gif.gif

Last edited:
MANY guys have trouble visualizing the feedback/ loopback problems that can occur if the IGN1/ IGN2/ START circuits are screwed with!!!

My first "trip down that road" was in the mid 70's when I swapped a SB Mopar into an old Landcruiser----and used a GM column, which has no such circuit. (The "IGN2" or bypass function is on a GM or Ford starter solenoid/ relay)

I ended up using a big diode to "replace" the IGN2 circuit. Your choices in such a case are, add a relay in parallel with the start circuit, use a diode as I did.

Thanks Dana!
The '69 switch has been reported to be physically different, although operationally the same.
View attachment 1715922277
View attachment 1715922290

physically they are different and wont fit, properly anyway. Bezels are different as well.

edit: Deleted comment about change in terminals as the diagram in the 1968 FSMs appear to have a mistake, 67 and 69 diagrams are correct.
That's true, however, they do make both a 5 and 6 terminal switch in 1969 too.

I was board one day so I checked continuity on all the pins of an ignition switch, The switch is reported to be a 67-69 dash mounted Dart compatible switch.

1. An "X" means the pin to itself
  2. The green highlight indicated continuity
  3. "Open" means no continuity
  4. "Closed" means continuity
  5. There is a GND tab but it is open to all pins and the housing of the switch as well.
  6. ING 1 and ING 2 appear to be a "Make before Break" type switch as there is some continuity between them in a particular position between full start position and the full run position
  7. All tests are between the pin in question and all other pins

View attachment 1715922240View attachment 1715922241View attachment 1715922242View attachment 1715922243View attachment 1715922244
I find it interesting (though I haven't tested it yet) that according to your testing, you should be able to quickly turn the switch off and over to ACC and the engine will keep running.

I find it interesting (though I haven't tested it yet) that according to your testing, you should be able to quickly turn the switch off and over to ACC and the engine will keep running
Don't see how. IGN 1 has no contact / power in ACC position

Don't see how. IGN 1 has no contact / power in ACC position
if IGN1 had power in the ACC position the points could get cooked like they can do in the run position without the engine running. So in ACC only accessories have power. Ignition does not need power unless it is running.

-
Back