67 antenna help

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, Im trying to install antenna in dads 67 cuda. We orig had the factory one on it, but it didnt work well and dad installed an aftermarket one. Not the greatest to say the least. So I have cut the cable leading to the base of the antenna. I believe I have all the pieces for the orig antenna, BUT need to know how the heck the cable attaches to the bottom of the antenna??? Here are pics of some of the pieces where the cable went into.

Attachments

• 2014-07-07 19.15.38 (Medium).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 193
Steve, if I'm not mistaken the cable is moulded/crimped into the base.
I actually cringed a little when I read it was cut.
I'm almost positive that the grey tube part in your picture is what the cable is crimped with and the white plastic is an insulator that goes between the outer and inner cable.
That wire peice with the bit of metal on the end was what connected the cable center wire to the antenna metal.

You might just start looking for a complete antenna for the year you want.
Otherwise you need to do some creative modifications to the base.

The upside is that the worst that can happen is bad reception, and it's not like it's a critical electrical thing like 12 or 120 volts.

I'm filling the hole in the fender on mine in and going to put a "windsheild tape" style in it.
I almost never listen to the radio anyway, just CD's or MP3's.

I believe the above is true. Aftermarket stuff varies. Some of them had a connector, but it was an obvious "screw in" deal.

It should not cost you much for a "repop." If you need, I'll look up where I bought mine. I've no idea how "correct" it is so long as it looks OK and fits the hole correctly.

Steve, if I'm not mistaken the cable is moulded/crimped into the base.
I actually cringed a little when I read it was cut.
I'm almost positive that the grey tube part in your picture is what the cable is crimped with and the white plastic is an insulator that goes between the outer and inner cable.
That wire peice with the bit of metal on the end was what connected the cable center wire to the antenna metal.

I'm filling the hole in the fender on mine in and going to put a "windsheild tape" style in it.
I almost never listen to the radio anyway, just CD's or MP3's.

The cable I cut was the one that came with the aftermarket antenna.
When we had dads am/fm refurbished we had them install an aux jack, so we can play mp3's etc. But it sure would be nice to "fill the hole" LOL and have radio.

I believe the above is true. Aftermarket stuff varies. Some of them had a connector, but it was an obvious "screw in" deal.

It should not cost you much for a "repop." If you need, I'll look up where I bought mine. I've no idea how "correct" it is so long as it looks OK and fits the hole correctly.

Yes the small round steel piece in the pic actually just twisted out of the base....and like TB said the small plastic piece and the bit-o-wire was inside the small metal piece I twisted out.

is a 67 antenna different from 68 or later?

Yes 67 is a one year only. I have EVERYTHING except how to attach the cable to the base....

Did you happen to Google that and see what comes up?
I did and not much out there.

You can get new ones on ebay they arent real cheap like 170 but there nice.

I didn't pay anything like that more like 40. I'll try and find where I got it.

as you might remember I have this 67 cuda in the yard.....I am not able to get to the yard now but what I will do is get ahold of my cousin who is right there with all the cars and he can get the antenna stuff off this car and drop it in the mail to you.

I am not parting the car out but what I was going to do is add 68 markers and change the grille and tail lights to 68 pieces just because ....I have no real reason why but I was just going to do it.

so I can give you the 67 only antenna stuff and I will replace it later with a 68+ unit because I obviously don't care if its all 67 since I am more interested in a 68 since all my other cars are 68+

Cool?

I will need your addy and a few hours to find my cousin.

Attachments

• 20140501_090937.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 169
I tried the repop for my 66 dart because I had all the hardware and chrome but the cable also had been cut. I couldn't find the cable only and wound up buying a whole new assembly. Laysons was awesome. Ricks a great guy to deal with, but they are pricey. Around $160.00 for the whole thing

as you might remember I have this 67 cuda in the yard.....I am not able to get to the yard now but what I will do is get ahold of my cousin who is right there with all the cars and he can get the antenna stuff off this car and drop it in the mail to you.

I am not parting the car out but what I was going to do is add 68 markers and change the grille and tail lights to 68 pieces just because ....I have no real reason why but I was just going to do it.

so I can give you the 67 only antenna stuff and I will replace it later with a 68+ unit because I obviously don't care if its all 67 since I am more interested in a 68 since all my other cars are 68+

Cool?

I will need your addy and a few hours to find my cousin.

Rani, thanks for the generous offer!! I dont need everything, but if you can get your cousin to take pics of how the cable is attached I would appreciate it. I might just take my antenna and everything in my pic above to an audio shop to see if they can "mcgyver" something together for me.

Thanks again!
Steve

Thanks Del, I ended up getting it fixed today. I will start a thread on the repair, thanks all for the advice/help and Rani for the offer!!

just got some pics in my e-mail

Attachments

• CIMG4092.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 135
  • CIMG4093.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 116
  • CIMG4091.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 115
now after looking at the pics .....I think the 67 was a push in mast where the 68 + were screw in type. the threads on this unit are for the chrome nut on top.

I can see why they changed in 68 ...the old design looks horrible.

-
Back