'67 Barracuda 500ci Restomod

-

blackhand

Reaction score
I've had my barracuda for about four months, and now that we're well acquainted, I think I have a pretty good idea about my plans for the future. From the start I've envisioned a serious street/strip machine that could handle about 3,000 miles on the road and 4-5 race weekends a year.

The 1967 barracuda that I found seemed like an excellent canvas to begin my masterpiece. The body, interior, and drive-train are already completely restored (not concourse quality but well enough to be very proud of). It was restored by the previous owner who built it to be a great looking, reliable cruiser with not much of an emphasis on performance. It is powered by a mostly stock 400 from a 1978 Cordoba that only has 60,000 original miles on it and about 700 miles on a fresh rebuild. Again, not at all performance oriented but it gets the job done. And hey, it's a big block A-body barracuda... how cool is that, right?

This thread is going to be my journal as I build this barracuda into the machine that I've wanted since I was a five year old sitting in the stands watching my dad drag race his '70 Challenger. This build is going to take lots of time and lots of money; it certainly won't be done this year, next year, or even five years from now. I'll update the thread as I go, but I went back to school last year so progress will be limited by budget.

Comments, suggestions, advice, and opinions are always welcome. I will do my best to answer anyone that shows support by posting in my thread.

Thanks FABO and stay tuned!

And here's the car as it sits now... certainly not a bad starting point.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,587
  • IMG_2336.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF0153.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 901
  • CIMG0136.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 910
  • DSCF0161.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 893
  • DSCF0160.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 927
nice car man, I'd chrome the bumpers and drive it till it needed a resto.

Ya, it's a great looking car. Are you going to build the 400 or start on another motor to slide in when done?

Now, here are my plans for the future (subject to change at my whim of course):

I've grouped the modifications into "stages" with the final stage being a full engine overhaul using a 500ci stroker kit from 440source. I like the 500ci kit because of the very low bob weight and streetable compression ratio of appx. 10.5:1 using Edelbrock heads. I plan to execute each stage sequentially as funds become available. The goal is to install all of the parts necessary to support the 500 stroker by the time I get to that point. Each stage builds off of the previous stage and keeps it streetable while working toward the final goal. So, without further adieu, my plan for the restomod:

Stage 1:
Optima red top battery
MSD Digital 6AL
MSD Super Coil
MSD Wires
Boot protectors
MP distributor with adjustable mechanical/vacuum advance
440source wire looms

Stage 2:
XHD springs and adjustable shocks front and rear
Adjust torsion bars and get front end alligned
Spring relocation kit
Battery relocation

Stage 3:
Taller K&N air cleaner with x-stream lid
Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold
Hemi hood scoop

Stage 4:
TTI headers
Flowmaster 40 series delta flow mufflers (I like 'em loud)

Stage 5:
Summit Legend 5 spoke Wheels
Mickey Thompsan Sportsman S/T tires

Stage 6:
Edelbrock performer RPM heads
Hughes 1.6 ratio rocker arms
Edelbrock valve covers

Stage 7:
850cfm Speed Demon carb with electric choke
Holley fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Stainless Lines and AN fittings
Torque strap

Stage 8:
Shift kit
Subframe connectors
Ratchet shifter
Drag wheels and slicks

Stage 9:
My current 400 block prepped by engine builder (I'll find a good one when the time comes)
Heads ported by engine builder
Hydraulic roller cam (engine builder to select)
Hydraulic Roller lifters
Bronze distributor gear
Double roller timing chain
440source 500ci stoker kit
2800 Torque converter
High volume oil pump

Of course there will be many more necessary parts along the way, but I think this is a pretty solid basic summary. When all is said and done I expect this combo to put out 600-650 streetable hp to the crank.

Comments, suggestions, opinions welcome

nice car man, I'd chrome the bumpers and drive it till it needed a resto.

Thanks! I thought about chroming them when I first got the car, but they've kind of grown on me! It's something different, and different is cool :thumbup:

Ya, it's a great looking car. Are you going to build the 400 or start on another motor to slide in when done?

Good question! Right now I'm planning on using the 400 that's in the car now. It's a low mile engine that should be pretty solid when I finally get to that point. I think it would make a great stroker :burnout:

I just noticed that you're in Gig Harbor. I'm in Seattle so I'm sure you'll be seeing the car around this summer if you go to any of the Mopar shows

Nice car! I like the color scheme, I was thinking about something similar before I painted my notch. What's it have for a rear end and gears?

Good luck with the build and enjoy yourself.
Scott

Nice car! I like the color scheme, I was thinking about something similar before I painted my notch. What's it have for a rear end and gears?

Good luck with the build and enjoy yourself.
Scott

Thanks! I like the colors too, although I would rather have a painted top rather than vinyl. I love the look of the full-length upper side stripes on the 67-69 barracuda and I'd like to do one in black, but I'm not sure that it would look good with the vinyl top.

If anyone can find a pic of a notchback with vinyl top and an upper side stripe please post it!

The car was restored with a 3:23 suregrip in a 489 case and brand new big bolt pattern axles; great ratio for a cruiser, maybe a little conservative for a street/strip machine. I'm not sure if the PO installed a clutch or a cone type, and I've heard that the 742 case is a little bit stronger but I think that what's in there now will be good enough until it breaks, at which point I'll look for a 3.92 geared clutch type suregrip in a 742 case.

Good question! Right now I'm planning on using the 400 that's in the car now. It's a low mile engine that should be pretty solid when I finally get to that point. I think it would make a great stroker :burnout:

I just noticed that you're in Gig Harbor. I'm in Seattle so I'm sure you'll be seeing the car around this summer if you go to any of the Mopar shows

Ya, hope to see you at some of the local shows and maybe at the track. My only runner right now is my wagon. Do you have someone to build the motor?

That's looks great!

I have a '69 Coupe and I am so torn between doing a 360 (which it has now) or putting a mild 400 in it.

Nice car, excellent start.
I would do one thing different on the build stage.
Leave the motor that is in it alone, and find another block to build the 500ci.
Think about it for a minuate, you are going to basically throw away every part of a fresh rebuilt motor.
Build another one and keep the one that is in it for a spare, or sell it to reclaim some of the cash spent on the new motor.
Anyways nice ride.

Ya, hope to see you at some of the local shows and maybe at the track. My only runner right now is my wagon. Do you have someone to build the motor?

I've done some preliminary searching and haven't come up with anything yet. I want to work with someone that really knows mopars. My dad used to race with Dan Hollenbeck and Cam McCracken back in the 80's (both dedicated Mopar engine builders) so I thought I might look them up to see if they're still in business, but I highly doubt it.

If you know a good engine builder I would love to get their information!

That's looks great!

I have a '69 Coupe and I am so torn between doing a 360 (which it has now) or putting a mild 400 in it.

Thank you much!

I can tell you that a mild 400 is not going to make much power. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed with mine. The compression ratio is just too damn low on these things. With new heads, cam, intake manifold, headers, decent carb, fuel pump, and ignition I bet that you'd only be looking at about 300hp at 4,200 rpm or so. That's an investment of appx $5K (assuming all new parts) for a modest gain in HP.

I think that you could get more HP from a 360 with the same investment, again assuming all new parts.

Then again, I haven't yet tried to modify my 400 much from stock so this is all just bench-racing. So, if anyone has some experience modifying these 400's WITHOUT changing the CID or compression ratio, please let us know what you got for results!

Nice car, excellent start.
I would do one thing different on the build stage.
Leave the motor that is in it alone, and find another block to build the 500ci.
Think about it for a minuate, you are going to basically throw away every part of a fresh rebuilt motor.
Build another one and keep the one that is in it for a spare, or sell it to reclaim some of the cash spent on the new motor.
Anyways nice ride.

That's a great idea and one that I've been playing with myself. 400 blocks are still pretty inexpensive and it would make sense to build from a new block and still be able to drive the car while the engine is being built.

Another option I've been considering is to pull the 400 and build it into a 500 and find a nice 383 to install while the 500 is being built. It would be nice to put a good high performance motor in there while the new engine is being built!

I love that color on Gen2 Barracudas, it is one of the best. Nice car!

Thanks! It's actually the 1970 silver color, very unique. The pictures don't show the metal flake too well but it has a nice sheen in the sun light and just a little bit of blue to it as well. Can't wait for summer time to get it out in the sun more often!

Nice lookin' Barracuda there .

I like the stock look of the motor that's in the boiler room now ; a similar-looking 500 inch-based "B" Motor would be tops !

The interior is great ! No butchered radio cutout ; vintage-looking steering wheel ; overall clean appearance .

Your car is gorgeous, man! I wouldn't change a single thing about it if it were mine. Could you PM me your wheel and tire combo or post it up in here? That's the look I want for my 67 Barracuda. Thanks so much and I'm subscribing to this one!

I've done some preliminary searching and haven't come up with anything yet. I want to work with someone that really knows mopars. My dad used to race with Dan Hollenbeck and Cam McCracken back in the 80's (both dedicated Mopar engine builders) so I thought I might look them up to see if they're still in business, but I highly doubt it.

If you know a good engine builder I would love to get their information!

Thank you much!

I can tell you that a mild 400 is not going to make much power. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed with mine. The compression ratio is just too damn low on these things. With new heads, cam, intake manifold, headers, decent carb, fuel pump, and ignition I bet that you'd only be looking at about 300hp at 4,200 rpm or so. That's an investment of appx $5K (assuming all new parts) for a modest gain in HP.

I think that you could get more HP from a 360 with the same investment, again assuming all new parts.

Then again, I haven't yet tried to modify my 400 much from stock so this is all just bench-racing. So, if anyone has some experience modifying these 400's WITHOUT changing the CID or compression ratio, please let us know what you got for results!

Thanks for the input!

My idea definetly involved a compression increase by using a mid 60's set of 383 closed chamber heads with some work done. I know the stock 400 compression is to low for sure. I figure with 9.5.1 or so compression and a good cam, it would run pretty good. I think stock compression is like 8.2...

On the flip side, a 360 with Magnum heads and a good cam will make some killer horsepower without much else done to it. My '69 is already setup for a small block and I have an extra 360 laying here torn down. I also have a 400 but I really have not tore into it to see the condition. I am going for the use what I have approach. The 360 in the car now is a stock '74 in ok condition.

Nice lookin' Barracuda there .

I like the stock look of the motor that's in the boiler room now ; a similar-looking 500 inch-based "B" Motor would be tops !

The interior is great ! No butchered radio cutout ; vintage-looking steering wheel ; overall clean appearance .

A stock looking 500 would be killer! I want to use a performer RPM manifold though and I think I'm going to have to cut a hole in the hood for clearance, hence the hemi hood scoop. Other than that, it should look pretty stock.

I really didn't want to cut the dash for a new stereo so I mounted it underneath. The location is great and the stereo came with a remote so it's still easy to operate. One day I'll find the stock radio and mount it back in the dash just for looks.

Very nice car indeed... congratulations on the find!!

Thank you much!

Your car is gorgeous, man! I wouldn't change a single thing about it if it were mine. Could you PM me your wheel and tire combo or post it up in here? That's the look I want for my 67 Barracuda. Thanks so much and I'm subscribing to this one!

PM Sent

-
Back