67 Barracuda Big Block K frame keep it or change it ??

-
I think the only thing mopar did differently on the performance K frames was fully weld the tubes in that hold the LCA pins, then tack weld a washer to the k frame to denote it as such to assembly line people.

The QA1 is perfectly capable of supporting the big block. More so than the stock K frame. What was done to beef up the original K-frame design to support a big block? Nothing. A big block K and a slant 6 K are identical except for the engine mount locations. Nothing was done to strengthen the K for the big block compared to the slant 6 or small blocks.

As for jacking the car up, that’s exactly why your original K-frame is caved in. Seems like that’s not a good argument for staying stock. Sure, you can weld a skid plate onto the stock K to reinforce it (which is what I do with all of mine). But you could do that to the QA1 too.
I figured they were the same part except for the mounts. If he is trying to keep it somewhat stock as he originally mentioned because it is a 383S car. He mentioned just wanting the borgeson box and mentioned his dented K frame before seeing the QA1 K. I'd recommend to just make a 67 Slanty K into a big block one, this way it kinda keeps its pedigree or a 68-72 one into a big block one for the better idler arm mount.

I think the only thing mopar did differently on the performance K frames was fully weld the tubes in that hold the LCA pins, then tack weld a washer to the k frame to denote it as such to assembly line people.

That's a 340 K member thing. Based on everything I've seen here, it was primarily done on 70+ 340 K frames. Only a few K frames with washers and reinforcements have shown up pre-'70. And the big block K's I've seen haven't had them. Which make sense, because if they didn't do it pre-'70 they didn't do it for the factory big block K's

The 340 ID washer
attachment.jpg

And the LCA pivot tube reinforcements. They were not fully welded on both sides, just this reinforcement was added
attachment.jpg

Best thread here on the 340 K's 340 K Member ??

I figured they were the same part except for the mounts. If he is trying to keep it somewhat stock as he originally mentioned because it is a 383S car. He mentioned just wanting the borgeson box and mentioned his dented K frame before seeing the QA1 K. I'd recommend to just make a 67 Slanty K into a big block one, this way it kinda keeps its pedigree or a 68-72 one into a big block one for the better idler arm mount.

Yeah it would be way easier just to use a stud welder and a slide hammer to pull the bottom of the K frame out.

Or, add the optional skid plate. It covers the dented area and keeps everything from caving in when you use the K as a jack point.

Firm Feel sells their whole K frame reinforcing kit, which includes a skid plate.
Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

Or buy a reproduction one. They're correct for B/E bodies but they fit A body K's as well...
Mopar Reproduction Skid Plate for B/E Bodies

Last edited:
The QA1 is perfectly capable of supporting the big block. More so than the stock K frame. What was done to beef up the original K-frame design to support a big block? Nothing. A big block K and a slant 6 K are identical except for the engine mount locations. Nothing was done to strengthen the K for the big block compared to the slant 6 or small blocks.

As for jacking the car up, that’s exactly why your original K-frame is caved in. Seems like that’s not a good argument for staying stock. Sure, you can weld a skid plate onto the stock K to reinforce it (which is what I do with all of mine). But you could do that to the QA1 too.
Thanks 72blu, I was Hell bent on the QA1, and yep my K frame is bent bad. QA1 has good pricing and I liked it for the benefit of bolt on, no fab, access to headers, & starter plus use their suspension upgrade too. I want the Barracuda to handle safer than new. Keeping the 323 gears in it and planning on freeway driving, a lot.

Yep I get that I really do got a 69 notchback Coupe that somebody hack butchered and stuck aluminum wheel tubs and pop rivets in it back in the 80s I'm trying unfuk this 1 but AMD makes all the metal unlike the way it used to be
Yes I know what you mean, I have to put back what Joe Dirt did to this car...Gonna buy AMD and use them as patch parts, can't find good parts car near by. I read a lot about AMD good and bad.
inner driver.jpg
inner 1.jpg

Nothing but good about AMD, parts fit like a glove. I'd replace whole inner fenderwells both sides nothing worse than non stock seams from patching. Better job if you replace entire panel. I have to do drivers side on my sons car rotted by battery.

Ricky racer in the 1980s did this to my kids car instead of trimming stock inners, moving them in and strapping them and keeping it looking stock. I have to reskin whole *** end now. I call it UnFucking anytime you have to undo screwed up ****. Hell the filler tube doesnt even line up or fit.

20170414_131142.jpg

20170414_130839.jpg

This is my 67. I've owned this since 1978! I have modified this vehicle some. However nothing that can't be un-done by another person. Axle is a Dana, [4.10] Engine is a 440 + .030 [383 is put away] The interior sports Viper bucket seats.[no extra holes in the floor...aluminum adapters to pick up the original floor seat holes]. 727 in place...the original trans was gone when I purchased the car. Big bolt pattern for ease of rim selection...a common upgrade... 3" aluminum drive shaft, 3" stainless steel exhaust, connected to Herb McCandless chassis headers. There are more engine mods...but I'll save that for those who ask. This car is street driven but has made some drag strip passes...It is a consistent 10 second performer on ET street radials and full exhaust. A best of 10.58 @ 124 but more consistent 10.70's @ 124. Always a pleasure reading these discussion forums!

642223-da427cd77c06b33a69a55aa1df986155.jpg

IMG_1034.JPG

647295-64848e6b68524b629c8cbcf418756106.jpg

This is my 67. I've owned this since 1978! I have modified this vehicle some. However nothing that can't be un-done by another person. Axle is a Dana, [4.10] Engine is a 440 + .030 [383 is put away] The interior sports Viper bucket seats.[no extra holes in the floor...aluminum adapters to pick up the original floor seat holes]. 727 in place...the original trans was gone when I purchased the car. Big bolt pattern for ease of rim selection...a common upgrade... 3" aluminum drive shaft, 3" stainless steel exhaust, connected to Herb McCandless chassis headers. There are more engine mods...but I'll save that for those who ask. This car is street driven but has made some drag strip passes...It is a consistent 10 second performer on ET street radials and full exhaust. A best of 10.58 @ 124 but more consistent 10.70's @ 124. Always a pleasure reading these discussion forums!

View attachment 1715317512

View attachment 1715317513

View attachment 1715317514
Stock K frame in it still ?

Stock K frame in it still ?
Yes my '67 does have the original K member in. I have purchased a '68 K member in favor of the Idler arm mounting difference. It is now blasted and powder coated. All the simple mods made in respect to original sheet metal! No additional holes. Fuel supply comes from the filler neck hole, down to the electric pump/filter system.

IMG_0970.JPG

7B62AD77-6A49-4DFD-9A78-5450073D7EA7.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

The car appears to twist some, so Dragstrip use is limited. Once I saw this pix, I stopped using this car for "pleasure like this"

IMG_2154.JPG

I wonder if there's a small market for a repro 68-72 idler arm mount that could be used to convert the 67's (any others apply?)? Looks like it would be simple enough to fabricate.

Why cant you add power steering? Just put a Borgeson steering box in there. Smaller than the factory mopar steering chuck, should fit just fine. Only thing that makes your 67 big block K a 1 year only big block K frame, is probably the idler arm mount tab. 68 up it is different much improved. I am converting a 67 slant sux K frame to a 68-72 small block V8 K frame, heres pix of the 1 year only idler mount compared to the one i will be fitting up with a jig and installing. Primered one on the left is the 68-72 idler mount.

View attachment 1715317010

View attachment 1715317012

View attachment 1715317013
Why cant you add power steering? Just put a Borgeson steering box in there. Smaller than the factory mopar steering chuck, should fit just fine. Only thing that makes your 67 big block K a 1 year only big block K frame, is probably the idler arm mount tab. 68 up it is different much improved. I am converting a 67 slant sux K frame to a 68-72 small block V8 K frame, heres pix of the 1 year only idler mount compared to the one i will be fitting up with a jig and installing. Primered one on the left is the 68-72 idler mount.

View attachment 1715317010

View attachment 1715317012

View attachment 1715317013
Mat, is the 68 and up Idler arm mount the same for small block and big block? I'd like to find one and add it to my 67. I assume you make a jig for position, before you remove the old one.

The 68 up idler arm mount should be the same for all 6 or V8. Is your 383 centerlink the same part number as a smallblock and slant six? That would be the big clue. Its an animal i am not familiar with since i have never actually seen a big block 67 up A body in person or taken meadurements off one. Its a white buffalo to me.

The one i am modding i do not have a jig for yet. I procured the RH mount and idler arm mount off a really rotted 69 V8 K frame on a 69 barracuda another fabo member was junking.

I have another K frame i plan on making a jig off of. The 68 idler arm mount i believe is the same all the way to 76. Looks the same as the one on my 74 K frame i have, however these are all small block cars.

I planned on having the jig attach to the 3 steering box mount holes then run across to the idler arm mount. The side of the jig where the idler arm mount will be fitted will be a steel tube with a slightly larger inside diameter as the idler arm bolt. The holes for the steering box and idler arm mount will be exact fit.

Basically bolt the idler arm mount to the jig with an idler arm bolt and nut, bolt the jig to the steering box mounting pad with the steering box bolts holding it in place on the K frame. Then weld it in.

If the idler arm mount is the same from 6 up to big block and in the same location. As i stated earlier my 74s K frame idler arm mount looks identical to the one i got from a 69 K frame. You.could probably grab one off a 73-76 slant 6 K frame. Nobody wants those.

Chrysler being the smallest of the big 3 had to outflank the other 2 because they couldent go head to head with them. Why i am saying this is simply that i believe all the basic A body K frames for that year were made the same off the same jigs and fixtures and only the engine mounting points were different based on engine type. Even 6 and small block shared the same LH mount in the frame

The 68 up idler arm mount should be the same for all 6 or V8. Is your 383 centerlink the same part number as a smallblock and slant six? That would be the big clue. Its an animal i am not familiar with since i have never actually seen a big block 67 up A body in person or taken meadurements off one. Its a white buffalo to me.

The one i am modding i do not have a jig for yet. I procured the RH mount and idler arm mount off a really rotted 69 V8 K frame on a 69 barracuda another fabo member was junking.

I have another K frame i plan on making a jig off of. The 68 idler arm mount i believe is the same all the way to 76. Looks the same as the one on my 74 K frame i have, however these are all small block cars.

I planned on having the jig attach to the 3 steering box mount holes then run across to the idler arm mount. The side of the jig where the idler arm mount will be fitted will be a steel tube with a slightly larger inside diameter as the idler arm bolt. The holes for the steering box and idler arm mount will be exact fit.

Basically bolt the idler arm mount to the jig with an idler arm bolt and nut, bolt the jig to the steering box mounting pad with the steering box bolts holding it in place on the K frame. Then weld it in.

If the idler arm mount is the same from 6 up to big block and in the same location. As i stated earlier my 74s K frame idler arm mount looks identical to the one i got from a 69 K frame. You.could probably grab one off a 73-76 slant 6 K frame. Nobody wants those.

Chrysler being the smallest of the big 3 had to outflank the other 2 because they couldent go head to head with them. Why i am saying this is simply that i believe all the basic A body K frames for that year were made the same off the same jigs and fixtures and only the engine mounting points were different based on engine type. Even 6 and small block shared the same LH mount in the frame
Thanks,

Looks like I better start hitting the swap meets, and craigslist looking for K frames. I found a Mopar B body big block k-frame, but assume it will not work for me ???

Different animal altogether. Need A body one. I recomnend making a jig off the donor K frame before pulling the idler arm mount from it to swap into yours if thats your intention.

Yep I get that I really do got a 69 notchback Coupe that somebody hack butchered and stuck aluminum wheel tubs and pop rivets in it back in the 80s I'm trying unfuk this 1 but AMD makes all the metal unlike the way it used to be

That was a Chevy guy did all that, I guarontee. Pop rivets and dzus fasteners are their two favorite ways to build stuff. I've seen almost everything held on by um. Stupidness.

Did anything need to be done? Weren't the stock K members pretty strong, slant six or otherwise? I'm not arguing, just asking. I haven't seen a slew of K member failures down through history because they had a big block on um. ..........unless I've just missed it. Which is certainly possible.

-
Back