67 Barracuda FB basket case-do or don't

-

manofmopar340

Reaction score
Ok,let me start off by saying (and taking a few unkind words from other members) that I do not care for the A body Barracuda at all,no way,no how.I've never wanted one.They just don't do it for me like the Dart and Duster.BUT....a guy that I know,he's a Chevy guy and decided to buy and build a Mopar until he found out it would cost more than a typical Nova.Now the car is scattered in pieces but complete.It is a slant 6 console auto Texas car.I haven't seen it yet but was assured it has a clear title and every nut and bolt is there...somewhere.He said he'd sell it to me for $1000 just to get it out of his shop.So my question to you guys is no matter if I like them or not should I pass on this deal or buy it.What would you do and why?

Since you don't like em what would be the purpose of buying it other than to flip.If that's the case I'd want to check it out pretty close and not take his word on anything. I like em so I would buy it if it is worth that kinda money.

The straight fenders are worth $300 a pop. The trunk trim another $100, part it out! be a Mopar organ doner! My buddy has a basket 69 with a stroked B still in it. Too bad.........

I've been getting ready to build my wife a car.We have a 74 Duster that is pretty solid and was going to be her car.I already have a fresh 408/727 and A body 8.75 sitting in storage just waiting for the project to get going.She said that she really likes the way the Barracuda looks.I figure buy that one and build it for her and sell the Duster,or buy the Barracuda,assemble it and sell it to finance the Duster.

As soon as I get pics of the car I will post them for you guys.I know that would help in the decision making process.

I have two fastbacks and would sell any and all of my other cars before I let them go. And they are still unfinished projects.
I even sold my e body I had for 25 years to finance the Hemi and drivetrain for one of them.
And would do it again with no regrets as they are the car that just feels right to me.
Seems my fastbacks do not get the oooo's and ahhhh's from folks as my other cars did. Doesn't matter to me as they are what I like. I have had road runners, chargers, dusters, cudas and challengers and still have a dart and a couple other mopars from the 50s
Loved them all but came back to and settled in comfortably with the 67-69 a bodies and the 68 fastback being my top pick as favorite mopar. A very close second would be the 46 - 60s power wagon.
I think if you are going to invest what it takes to get a car where you will be happy with it
you will need to have a passion for it or it will get in the way of the one you do like.
At least in this economy where they cost more to build than they are worth finished even if you do them yourself.
I believe the most profitable option these days is to part them but this may change someday?

I'll say I don't like Dusters or any late model beak nose cars.
What I like doesn't matter.
If you're building a car, house, anything for the wife or anyone else what you like doesn't matter either. It's what the owner/operator likes that matters.
Good example, My red 67 notch will belong to my grand daughter when she graduates high school. A few years ago we were walking around the cruise-in when a hopped up 70 Chevelle was working into a spot. Ground thumping sounds from cam and mufflers. I asked, "Don't you wish our Barracuda sounded like that?" She said," No. It sounds like it needs you to fix it."
That's fine with me. All my new performance parts stay in their boxes.

So which parts should I keep an eye out for.The hard to find expensive things that will drive me or anyone else crazy looking for them and not make the car worth it.I could part it,but hate doing that because they will never make another new one.Even if the looks of the car don't do it for me someone else will love it and I don't want to be the one responsible for making 1 less decent buildable Mopar in the world.I can turn a few bolts and put fenders,doors and a hood back on it and sell it as a roller or with a stock 360/904 I have lying around.The guy told me he has every part that came off of it including the interior.With the car being stripped down the way it is would be perfect for me because I send em off to the blaster anyway.

My wife isn't exactly a car nut.She will look at a car and just say if she likes the way it looks or not.She said she likes the looks of the Duster we got her as well the Barracuda.The reason for building her a car is to get her more into the hobby and not nag me so much for ordering parts all the time.She enjoys riding around, but I want to build her one of her own.

Just got pics.It's not as bad as I thought.

Attachments

• 044761_IMG951349.jpg.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 431
  • 044786_IMG958016.jpg.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 045041_IMG959258.jpg.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 428
  • 045061_IMG952374.jpg.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 418
  • 045079_IMG954665.jpg.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 417
Don't over think this. You don't like the car. Buy it, and sell it to someone who would love to have it, making some money for yourself, and save a Mopar in the process.

1000 is a steal... I would buy it in a NY second then decide what to do after a good assessment of its condition and what is and what isn't there. This is a win win for that price. Hell the deck lid, Fenders and bucket seats are worth more than what they want for the whole car. Just saying.

like i tell the young guys...never mind what your favorite is,get one as straight rust free
as possible.
i would take a clean rust free model over a favorite that needed quarters,major other work etc.

So what are some of the hard to find 67 specific pieces that I need to keep an eye out for?When I get out there I want to inventory all that I can.And I am only getting this car for that price because it is my buddy selling it to me.We drag raced together for years and have helped each other with our hot rods.I wish I could say I knew more about the A body Barracudas but I never paid much attention to them.Any help on things to look for would be appreciated.

like i tell the young guys...never mind what your favorite is,get one as straight rust free
as possible.
i would take a clean rust free model over a favorite that needed quarters,major other work etc.

That's what I did. Always wanted a Duster/Demon. Picked up a Dart because it was a steal. Now, I think I might like the Darts better than the Dusters.

I think the front grill assembly is hard to find as are hood inserts, misc. small trim and emblems? Could be wrong.

And good fenders are real hard to find. Not much more only if going to a numbers big block car (which you're not) then some stuff is really hard to find.

I think the front grill assembly is hard to find as are hood inserts, misc. small trim and emblems? Could be wrong.

When I go take a look at it I'll check for all the trim,inserts,emblems,condition of the fenders,etc.Depending on what the wife thinks it may be for sale/trade here.I told a guy that I'd give him first shot since he sent me a PM earlier.We'll see how it goes.Thanks for the input.

I do have to ask,what makes a Barracuda so special or more sought after than a Dart?The front end of the A body Barracuda is what turns me off.What makes them so loved by so many?

Don't part it out. Buy it, a steal at $1k, and sell it to someone else to save. Just think how you would feel if someone parted out a Dart that could have been saved. And make yourself a few bucks too.

I would be all over that if it had clear title. Wish it was closer. The body looks a lot cleaner than mine.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Buy it. You can sell it for a nice profit if it doesn't float your boat after inventorying every nut and bolt.

try the front end with the bumper off looks way better. That said check to make sure dash is complete, Interior is all there, You want to jump before someone beats you to this, as others have said way more in goodies than 1000.00.

if that were me, this thread would be about showing off my 1,000 dollar score. get everything, down to the nuts and bolts

I think the Barracuda's have a lot more body style and lines than the shoe box dart. No offense to the shoe box lovers as I like them also. '70 is probably my fav dart.

-
Back