67 Barracuda instrument voltage conundrum

-

mvh

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Please read the whole story before replying with common knowledge responses... I am very familiar with how this is supposed to work. But before removing the instrument cluster one more time, I thought I'd see if anyone had an answer to this peculiar situation.

The original problem was the fuel gauge in my Barracuda wasn't working — had never worked in the 40+ years my family had owned the car. But the problem WASN'T the instrument voltage regulator (IVR) integrated into the fuel gauge, because the oil pressure and temperature gauges worked fine.

I eventually got around to pulling the cluster to remedy the problem. I found a lot of the pins in the big round plug were loose. This started a round of soldering, reassembling, testing, removing and re-soldering. Basically, every time I put it back in the car, another pin broke loose (even though I was reinforcing them with brass brads). I finally gave up on that circuit board and found another one on FABO with good solid pins all around.

This time, the fuel gauge actually registered. But after topping off the tank and driving it awhile, I realized something weird was going on — now ALL the gauges were reading at 1/2 the actual value. A full tank read as 1/2 tank. Fully warmed up, the temp gauge was on the first notch — it previously ran right on the 2nd mark. Oil pressure was steady on the 2nd mark — it used to run at the 4th mark.

I know the IVR is supposed to drop the voltage down from 12V to 5V (by intermittently switching on and off). Would it be correct to conclude that it is actually dropping the voltage to approximately 1/2 that value (2.5V) and that that is creating the low readings?

Now, you might ask why the temp and oil gauges weren't reading low before. Well, I had two different fuel gauges on my bench for testing when I reassembled the cluster, and I recall choosing the one that looked better, since they both seem to respond to test voltage. So it's probably the fault of this particular gauge. I'm just curious what the actual mechanico-electrical explanation might be.

Seems reasonable to assume that the IVR in the fuel gauge you chose is only "on" about half the time that the other one is on. Probably a good time to go solid state. I built one into my son's fuel gauge. Right now my fuel gauge is still stock, but it may get solid state before the car hits the road.

Seems like that if ALL the gauges read low, it has to be something common to all of them. Seems like the voltage supply from the IVR is the likely cause.

It could also be a grounding issue. Ground loops can be hard to find.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a grounding issue that would be that stable. The gauges are dead stable. I could see a ground causing erratic readings, certainly. My plan is to pull the cluster and swap the fuel gauges. I do have an external IVR module, but I am not eager to cut into a functioning gauge... my soldering skills are demonstrably mediocre. While I have the gauges side by side I will see if I can compare readings. I have a DC power supply I was using for testing.

I have connected or soldered test wires to key points before I installed the dash back in. You can leave them hanging below the dash so you can observe things like regulator voltage. When you are done, just roll them up, insulate the ends & zip tie it to something.

I would pull the cluster and do an end-to-end check on the cluster/ IVR/ gauges. you need to rig some test resistors, or if you have an old rheostat or old gas sender you can use that. The test resistances are on the photo here in yelloww

Also do not trust the original cluster grounding which is through the mounting screws. Attach a pigtail to a ground point on the cluster and bolt that to the dash or column support

c-3826-jpg-jpg.jpg

Failing limiter or just weak ground. This fuel gauge has a slither of metal on its backside that sits against a unpainted spot in housing. This is the chassis ground for the mechanical limiter in the gauge, gauge to housing, housing to dash, ground jumper from firewall to engine block. Only 4 or so of the screws holding the panel in the dash provide housing ground path. Adding a actual ground wire can help lights and all to work better.
If I was facing pulling the panel again, I would install a solid state regulator and good ground path is necessary for it too.

-
Back