67 barracuda notch back window rust repair

-
In the joint underneath it has rust with pitting but not rusted through. I think it done carefully some of the holes could be welded. Im planning sandblasting the metal and treating but the only way to make sure it doesn’t come back is remove and replace. Assuming it’s too thin and far gone what would be the best way to fix that joint where the body and Dutchman come together?

@67notchb, glad to see you are working on it again. Do yourself a BIG favor. There is a guy on YouTube who shows us how to do major rust repair. Even though I have been doing major body work for about 45 years, I have watched all his shows. I have learned a LOT from watching him. The name of the channel is Fitzee's Fabrications. If you go to his channel and go back about 2-3 years you will find video on this exact topic. He does a welding technique he calls Cut and Butt that I use all the time now. If you go back about 4 years, you will find a video where he adds a gas door to the side of an old pickup truck. This video explains his Cut and Butt method very well. I have included links to these two videos. There are other videos on his channel involving fixing rust around windows, but this might be the best.

How to repair rust around windows (youtube.com)

Butt welding sheet metal the easy way. - YouTube

Yeah fitzee is a great resource. I’ve watched that same video about replacing rusty metal in window corners probably 20 times. His process is how I’m planning on tackling the rust. I’ve even started making the patch panels. I’ll include pictures as I go.

Maybe I’m getting too caught on this one area but it’s that pitted seam between the Dutchman and body panel that I’m trying to figure out the best way to cut out and replace. Or do I clean, cut/butt the patch panel into the pitted metal, treat and epoxy over it and let it be without replacing the pitted metal in the seam.

It’s not going to be a show car but since I’m at it I’d like to get as much rust as I can replaced in this area so I don’t have to worry about it again

I wish you lived closer to me. I would be more than happy to come over and do the first section with you. Once you saw how easy it was, the rest would be easy for you to do. The only thing I do different than Fitzy, is I use a small air saw, some people call them a body saw, instead of a cutting wheel. I feel like I have more control with the air saw.

Any pointers you can share from your experience replacing that seam? Good call on the body saw for cutting panel material, minimizes heat and easier to get into tight spots.

The only way the rust wont come back is to completely remove it. Products like Por15 are just that, Poor. Clean pitted steel covered with a good epoxy primer is the best thing on stuff you cannot remove.

-
Back