Not open for further replies.

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Contact seller
Hi all like title says the button that I am looking for is in pics. I would like a metal one. For Dad's 67 cuda.
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 20151108_120912.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 20151108_120918.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 197
I have a button from a '68 Cuda, which I think is the same as '67. There were no metal buttons to my knowledge, only chrome plated plastic ones. The chrome on mine is gone, but the button is fully functional. You are welcome to it, just $1 for the ride.

I have a button from a '68 Cuda, which I think is the same as '67. There were no metal buttons to my knowledge, only chrome plated plastic ones. The chrome on mine is gone, but the button is fully functional. You are welcome to it, just $1 for the ride.

Very generous offer thank you! I will pass, as I mentioned Im nearly 99% certain that my 67 Coronet button, which is same pattern as Dads 67 cuda was metal.

I contacted Classic Industries today and they told me that the repop they sell is chromed metal. I asked for a couple of "off the shelf" pics to show a little better detail, but they are currently out of stock. 3-4 week wait for pics....lol

Here is a link to PG Classic and they state "chromed metal" in the description. I dont wanna pay that much tho. My chrome is getting thin, other than that its fine.

Thanks again for the offer. Anyone with a metal one??

http://www.pgclassic.com/367-m-mopar-1966-68-a-b-body-chrome-shifter-knob/

Forgive me but until I see a OEM metal shifter button it will remain a myth in my mind.
If it is metal, new or reproduction, it is cast pot metal. It would be a bit heavier than the plastic one. Thus requiring a heavier return spring ?
And by the way, I understand why aftermarket would make it from pot metal and not plastic. Metalized plating on plastics doesn't stand up to wear. The type of plating that factory used on high wear plastics was a much thicker layer on a different type of plastic. The perfect example is the knob on pre 67 bucket seat release lever. That chrome would crack, peel, and cut like a razor. Every thing about that parts construction is different from, for example, inst' bezel.
Beyond the fore mentioned seat part, Factory changed a/c vent louvers, and radio buttons to bare black plastics for similar reasons. Metalized plating disappears in the breeze. Heavier plating cracks. Pot metal pits. Choose your poison.

Forgive me but until I see a OEM metal shifter button it will remain a myth in my mind.
If it is metal, new or reproduction, it is cast pot metal. It would be a bit heavier than the plastic one. Thus requiring a heavier return spring ?
And by the way, I understand why aftermarket would make it from pot metal and not plastic. Metalized plating on plastics doesn't stand up to wear. The type of plating that factory used on high wear plastics was a much thicker layer on a different type of plastic. The perfect example is the knob on pre 67 bucket seat release lever. That chrome would crack, peel, and cut like a razor. Every thing about that parts construction is different from, for example, inst' bezel.
Beyond the fore mentioned seat part, Factory changed a/c vent louvers, and radio buttons to bare black plastics for similar reasons. Metalized plating disappears in the breeze. Heavier plating cracks. Pot metal pits. Choose your poison.

I guess im gonna have to dig up pary numbers. I noticed a few on ebay had different numbers.
I installed the console in my coronet. I remember it metal.
I agree with the vacuum plating nowadays vs metal.

Metal buttons were produced and they were not repops. My dads 66 Chrysler 300 convertable had a metal button. I remember it like yesterday. He could not get it off. It was frooze to the threads and the cable would twist trying to remove it.

How do I know it wasn't a repop? The year this happened was about 1974.

Weren't they switched to plastic due to rattling from vibration? And then plastic plated discontinued because of the chrome peeling was scratching/cutting people?

The plastic buttons would seize to the threads too.
I can imagine a heavier metal button rattling.
My glove box door lock cylinder and everything else that can rattle does.
I'm looking forward to getting away from these old cars completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back