67 cuda FB progress UPDATE

Metallic GunMetal Grey with Gloss black stripes or Flat black stripes?

• Total voters
-

ariffle

Fish Shouldn't Rust
Reaction score
Made some progress and figured I would share it with you all as requested from my last posted update.
Funished up with the floor pans that we made "NOT bought". Just like all the rest of the metal work that was needed. We also started making the rear window track out of sheet metal stock and a lot of streatching and shinking to get it to fit perfectly. I think were ready to cut the old out and Tig weld in the newly made pieces. This will be the conclusion of the rust removal portion of the build. ALL GONE! YAH!!! I thought I would never get all the rust out, but it happened. I also made some fixes on the K member and got it painted up and replaced the tie rod ends, rebushed everything on the front suspension and re painted it all. I think it turned out pretty well. The old bushings were the worst to punch out, but it got done with the manufacturing of a lot of new and interesting cus words.
Anyways, here are some pictures of what all happened.
By the way, I think I am going to paint the car Metalic gun metal grey with black striping. Not sure on the black though. What do you think, Gloss or flat black? Suggestions welcomed. The interior will be Black with the GunMetal grey on the dash metal and the metal trim.
I am also going to be filling in the indent on the firewall where the factory heater box was located to make the forewall smooth and fill all un needed access holes. I may be filling in the wiper indent as well. That is if I can find a good wiper setup that can be hidden under the dash. Also being filled is the fuse block hole, as I will be rewiring it with a Ron Francis wiring kit. MORE MONEY! But what fun it is doing it.

View attachment 1114131654.jpg

View attachment 1115131927a.jpg

View attachment 1115131927.jpg

View attachment 1102131916.jpg

View attachment 1102131918.jpg

View attachment 1102131919.jpg

View attachment 1017131349.jpg

Nice job so far. I am making slow progress on my 67 FB. I am lucky that more sheet metal parts available. Keep us posted.

Thanks 67cudafb.
Yes there are sheet metal panals available, but I acually enjoy learning how to make my own. It's amazing how much is learned by making as many mistakes as I have. L.O.L! I'm teaching my son that it's the journey together that the build is about. The reward will come upon compleation. So we continue to make as much as we can without buying them. Rebuilding parts as well. We have grown closer since we started it and I can only hope he doesn't kill me before wee done. L.o.l!

Looks like three people don't care much for the Metalic Gun Metal grey color.
I thought it would be a nice change from the usual colors that most people paint them. I'm not realy a fan of the stock colors to choose from. with exception of the B7 blue.

I looked threw your threads car looks good . You will have a rust free car that you know every inch of when finished . Keep the pics of progress coming

Thanks Moparisbest!
as you are probably aware of, it's comments that sometimes keep us going on these overwhelming projects. I used to own a Duster in 1988 when I was in the service till it was stolen. It was an awesome car. your car sure does bring me back to those fun drives. It had a 360 4BBl and a 3 speed. it had an 8 3/4 rear and a whole lot of tires and clutches were used up on that car. My new project, this one, only has the origional 273 but it was gon thru and built up as far as I can take a 273. It has the 727 auto trans with a power valve and the 8 3/4 rear in it. Not wanting anything more than that if my sone drives it.

I know your rite, mine will be going to my son but only after graduating . It has a 74 , 440 bored and stroked to 496 . 550hp 608 ft torque . 4 speed overdrive,8.75 391. Surgrip

Nice to see another fastback getting some attention!

Planning on doing the 68 F/R window trim?

I have a friend with a el camino that is black w/gun metal stripes, black interior. It is a nice contrast. Even thought about doing the FS- stripe on my black 67 in that color.

I think it is a nice contrast as well. I built a model and painted it this way and really liked it. Although things look much different when in full scale.

Window trim would be nice to put on it if I had it.
I don't think any exist. I have been looking for a nice usable set for a while. I don't mind repairing them, as I now know how to, but I can't find any.

AMD sells new front trim for hardtops. The rear fastback stuff pops up on here now and then.

I have been on the fence on whether or not to paint my car black with matte charcoal stripes or charcoal with matte black stripes...heres an inspiration picture for you to consider. definatley go with the matte of flat stripes, in my opinion gloss stripes are to much a General Motors thing. Nice metal work also.

Attachments

• viperfrontx-large.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,846
68-9 fastback trim? I have a few sets. I also have a set for a coupe.

Window trim would be nice to put on it if I had it.
I don't think any exist. I have been looking for a nice usable set for a while. I don't mind repairing them, as I now know how to, but I can't find any.

Rocky JS.
What's the story with you hording the rear window trim? Did you say you have trim for a 67 Fastback Cuda?
If so, i'm listening. You got my attention. Everytime I see any go up for sale, they are gone before i can buy them. Figured i'd settle for the generic stuff if none are found by this time next year. I think the 68, 69 trim and window seal rubber and trim clips are different and won't fit properly. I'm not 100% posative though.

By the way Rocky, your 67 paint job looks absolutly beautifu!!! I know how difficult Black is not a kind color to get to look flat as glass. By the look of things in your pictures, you have worked a thing of beauty. I see your in Oregon. Ixm in Wa. Close enough for a drive! L.O.L!

Grey certainly isn't a safe color. Statistically, orange is the safest color on the road.
Not to say I would paint it orange. I just don't like stripes of any kind or color.
Back in their day the mfgrs put out lots of greens. Today they put out lots of greys.
Either suggests camouflage to me. This model doesn't have side marker lamps either.
My current favorite of color schemes is a crème/beige and black trim contrast on the Ford Edge.

Rocky JS.
What's the story with you hording the rear window trim? Did you say you have trim for a 67 Fastback Cuda?
If so, i'm listening. You got my attention. Everytime I see any go up for sale, they are gone before i can buy them. Figured i'd settle for the generic stuff if none are found by this time next year. I think the 68, 69 trim and window seal rubber and trim clips are different and won't fit properly. I'm not 100% posative though.

The original 67 A-body front and rear window trim were plastic based extrusions. Over time it shrank up leaving unsightly gaps at the corners and it also lost it's luster. Not to mention the stainless steel corners and straight joint covers were not securely held and would just disappear. More ugliness. Last time I looked, a set of 4 re-pop corners were going for around $50.

It is very common to convert 67's to 68-69 stainless trim. There was a good reason Mopar abandoned the 67 design. Do yourself a favor and go that route.

Kosmicuda- My car had no trim on the windows and I never owned a Cuda previous to this one, so your information is much appreciated. I take it that I will need the 68 rear window rubber? Is there any differance in rear windows? Thanks!

The original 67 A-body front and rear window trim were plastic based extrusions. Over time it shrank up leaving unsightly gaps at the corners and it also lost it's luster. Not to mention the stainless steel corners and straight joint covers were not securely held and would just disappear. More ugliness. Last time I looked, a set of 4 re-pop corners were going for around $50.

It is very common to convert 67's to 68-69 stainless trim. There was a good reason Mopar abandoned the 67 design. Do yourself a favor and go that route.

I agree with KosmicKuda, rear window is already out so you may as well. I believe the 67 rubber is different from 68-9. I think 68-9 has clips to hold in the stainless trim in, where in 67 the rubber window gasket acts to hold the side plastic trim in place. Basically 67 cuda is 1 year only on so many things it can be a pain.
I had a 67 Coronet painted Gunmetal Grey, I loved the color and the car.
Keep up the good work!

thanks! yeah i'm outside of Portland in SE. You would need to, as stated replace the rear window gasket for a 68-9 one which is available - unlike the 67 one. Get clips and screws and your done. I would be willing to part with a set if you need. I have a stock pile of new clips also.

I used to be a district manager from seattle proper to mt vernon over to oak harbor. I know that area but I cringe any time I get near seattle anymore. lol

By the way Rocky, your 67 paint job looks absolutly beautifu!!! I know how difficult Black is not a kind color to get to look flat as glass. By the look of things in your pictures, you have worked a thing of beauty. I see your in Oregon. Ixm in Wa. Close enough for a drive! L.O.L!

-
Back