67 cuda FB progress UPDATE

Metallic GunMetal Grey with Gloss black stripes or Flat black stripes?

• Total voters
-
Tic, Tock, Tic Tock.... Time has been flying by and no new progress post from me for some time. Well I do have a bit of good and bad news to share with you on the build.
I have gathered the needed pieces for the 727 and it is getting done by a professional this time. L.O.L!!!! I was told that after further review he noticed a difference in the length of the output shaft. Apparently there are more that one length for these 727's. News to me.
Anyways, that's the suspected culprit in the transmissions undoing. The good news is that he has one that is correct and is in great shape. Now I am understanding the issues I was having way back when I thought I was having carb. issues. Actually it was the torque that was pushing the main output shaft rear words and caused severe binding and which made it seem as though the engine wasn't getting the proper amount of fuel or the parking brake was locked up. I.E. severe friction and binding.
At one time I even thought it might have been an issue with the rear end but that checked out fine. Hopefully I'll have it back and installed soon and post a youtube video link of it working. I have a few up so you can see what I am talking about with regards to the drag issue. just type in Aaron Riffle and you should get it to pop up.
Till next time. By the way, the house is looking great John!!!

Tic, Tock, Tic Tock.... Time has been flying by and no new progress post from me for some time. Well I do have a bit of good and bad news to share with you on the build.
I have gathered the needed pieces for the 727 and it is getting done by a professional this time. L.O.L!!!! I was told that after further review he noticed a difference in the length of the output shaft. Apparently there are more that one length for these 727's. News to me.
Anyways, that's the suspected culprit in the transmissions undoing. The good news is that he has one that is correct and is in great shape. Now I am understanding the issues I was having way back when I thought I was having carb. issues. Actually it was the torque that was pushing the main output shaft rear words and caused severe binding and which made it seem as though the engine wasn't getting the proper amount of fuel or the parking brake was locked up. I.E. severe friction and binding.
At one time I even thought it might have been an issue with the rear end but that checked out fine. Hopefully I'll have it back and installed soon and post a youtube video link of it working. I have a few up so you can see what I am talking about with regards to the drag issue. just type in Aaron Riffle and you should get it to pop up.
Till next time. By the way, the house is looking great John!!!

Cripes, that's a problem I've never heard come up before! I doubt I'd have been able to figure that one out in a gazillion years. Most tranny shops are pretty quick so if there aren't any other hangups she might be on the road next week. The sooner the better. That way I can always tell law enforcement that the complaints that they're getting must be about someone else's car.

Cripes, that's a problem I've never heard come up before! I doubt I'd have been able to figure that one out in a gazillion years. Most tranny shops are pretty quick so if there aren't any other hangups she might be on the road next week. The sooner the better. That way I can always tell law enforcement that the complaints that they're getting must be about someone else's car.

It'll be another couple weeks or so before I get it back. There are a few other things (odd and ends) that need to be rounded up. The good news is that all the big, harder to get items are in hand. I'll be sure to keep you posted.:glasses7:

Nice find!!!! Hope it al pans out so you can get the Cuda layin rubber!!!!!!!!!!!! :burnout:

Nice find!!!! Hope it al pans out so you can get the Cuda layin rubber!!!!!!!!!!!! :burnout:

Me to..
While it's out and apart, i'm having a steel front drum put in and a beefier sprague installed
If not I won't do any burnouts in first gear or it may go kaboom!!!!! :burnout:

nnooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a grenading T.F. 727 is a thing of sheer destruction and can take out your foot, leg, neighboring cars on the road and heaven forbid all the hard work on the car's structure.
I have been reading a lot on the subject and believe to have it figured out so a good burnout should happen often. As long as I can afford tires that is. L.O.L!!! :burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

I got my a727 back last night!!!!!
Installed it tonight and will finish it up and button up everything to try it out hopefully this weekend. If it doesn't rain that is. I'm crossing my fingers and toes.
I'll post up some pictures if all goes well. :blob: :toothy8:

I got the rebuilt, rebuilt and rebuilt AGAIN 727 trans installed and it seems to be working as it should (on jack stands). As soon as the weather turns for the good i'll drop it on the floor and test it. In the mean time I'm rethinking the throttle kickdown mechanicals. I may purchase a Lokar setup. I've been hearing things for the bad on using the original setup after changing intake and carb setups. I guess it makes it almost impossible to get it adjusted correctly and possibly ruining the trans.

I have an update on my 67. I purchased a new 650 CFM carb. and I also got a Lokar throttle cable bracket, Throttle cable kit and a kickdown cable kit. It took some time but I got it installed this evening. Hopefully I'll be able to take it for a test drive tomorrow. Crossing fingers Here are a few pictures.

View attachment Lokar kickdown cable kit.jpg

View attachment Lokar throttle bracket.jpg

View attachment Lokar throttle cable kit.jpg

View attachment Lokar kits installed.jpg

View attachment Lokar kickdown at trans side.jpg

Time's getting short this year. You guys see any snow yet?

Not yet, it just missed us. We are finally getting a break in all the rain though. We've had lots of flooding, 70-8o mile per hour winds and power outages for several days. Tomorrow is looking real good for a test drive up and down the street. I am praying that the issues are corrected now. Any snow your way yet?

Not yet, it just missed us. We are finally getting a break in all the rain though. We've had lots of flooding, 70-8o mile per hour winds and power outages for several days. Tomorrow is looking real good for a test drive up and down the street. I am praying that the issues are corrected now. Any snow your way yet?

We had one nasty day so far. Rain mixed with snow. It also came with high winds that remained after it was over and dried everything back out. They had frrezing drizzle forecast yesterday but it never showed up.

WOW!!! What a day.......
The sun was out, temps climbed up into the 40's, dry ground and I finally had the opportunity to test drive my Barracuda.....

After she warmed up (cold blooded fish) I put it into gear and rolled up the driveway out onto the road, gave her some throttle. Ok, ok, so I mashed it...
The small block roared, the tires smoked and off it flew.............
I ran out of road as my street is pretty short, only about 3000 feet of asphalt. I slowed down, made a U-turn and mashed the peddle once again. She absolutely screamed down the road in first. Now the moment of truth, will she actually shift into 2nd or will she shift into 3rd? Well, she shifted into 2rd hard, tires chirped and kept on pulling hard.
I got her up to 55 MPH plus before I ran out of asphalt once again and had to hit the brakes hard to stop before I ended up in a neighbors front lawn. She stopped great. I decided that I had enough excitement off camera and will pick up where I left off later this weekend when I have someone to take video before I get to excited.
I never got it to shift into 3rd gear because my foot was mashed down into the floor all the way and it couldn't shift. I will try to drive it a little more normal to test that out sometime this weekend.
Man, I gotta say that this little build 273 pulls harder than my old 340 or 360 in both of my old dusters. She flat out screamed!!!!! Those Lokar kits that I installed really helped improve throttle response and more importantly my kickdown pressures. I'm definitely sold on the product and highly recommend their use. I really wished I had video or pictures to share but I needed BOTH hands on the wheel for sure. L.O.L!!!

Nah!!!!! You can drive one-handed!!!! Easy:

(pretend your coming home late with a beer in one hand.) :glasses7:

:D

Nah!!!!! You can drive one-handed!!!! Easy:

(pretend your coming home late with a beer in one hand.) :glasses7:

:D

Oh! I remember how to do that.....
It was the first drive faster than say 5 MPH so I had no Idea how it would handle as I haven't set the front alignment yet.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IhLJ0cREc4"]67 Barracuda re-built A727 transmission test drive 11-29-15 - YouTube[/ame]

Click the link above and you can catch the mild test drive I did this morning just prior to removing the headers to go get ceramic coated.
After I get them back i'll put them back on and then start fabing up the custome exhaust.
Good times! :burnout:

It's exciting but frustrating as well because I want to drive it into town ot atleast around the neighborhood but I still don't have trust in everything.
I have it all torn apart now and can't drive it again untill I get the headers coated inside and out and I have the exhaust designed, fabed and installed. Then it's time to re-tune again and make more adjustments to the kickdown cable etc. etc. etc.
Your car is looking real good! I enjoy reading all the improvements you've made.

It's exciting but frustrating as well because I want to drive it into town ot atleast around the neighborhood but I still don't have trust in everything.
I have it all torn apart now and can't drive it again untill I get the headers coated inside and out and I have the exhaust designed, fabed and installed. Then it's time to re-tune again and make more adjustments to the kickdown cable etc. etc. etc.
Your car is looking real good! I enjoy reading all the improvements you've made.

Yup, first few trips are always looking for little tweeks here and there. Getting trust back into the car that was stripped to the bone. There is always something that one forgets or overlooks. :D

Yup, first few trips are always looking for little tweeks here and there. Getting trust back into the car that was stripped to the bone. There is always something that one forgets or overlooks. :D

Your correct. I keep having that feeling that something may have not gotten fastened down or torqued or safety wired or something may just fall off. L.O.L!!!
I won't trust it till I can get it out for a good two hour drive and at least a hundred miles away. With a buddy pulling an enclosed trailer not far behind of course..
:burnout:

-
Back