67 Dar 273 Intake manifold watr leak

-

dave273dart

Reaction score
A few day ago I installed a new Edelbrock 2176 Intake. The first day I drove it it was fine. I went to take it out yesterday and noticed that coolent was comming from the overflow hose and then I noticed bubbles and coolent comming from a couple bolt holes and along the intake. I put in a new thermostat at the same time I did the manifold. I started the engine with the radiator cap off to move it into the garage and there was no water comming from the intake?? At first I thought it was the thermostat, so I took it out this morning and and put it in hot water, it opened fine. The engine only has 890 miles on it. I pulled every plug and no water in the cylinders???? Things were working fine until I installed the intake. When I built the engine the heads were milled .050 and the same fellow milled the intake. What am I missisng. By the way I am 69 and getting toooo old to pull engines apart. Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

.........did u use the tin intake gaskets, if so thats ur problem.......u need the composite 1s...............kim........

I recommend Fel-pro print-o-seal but I cant recall the item number. There are 2 different gaskets for 2 different port sizes. The info you need may be at the Edelbrock website.

Thanks RedFish. Your always very helpful. I found 2 at advance auto parts, pn 1205composit with printoseal bead and 1206 same-however 1206 shows for my specific engine. I need to double check cause I don't trust the people at the auto parts stores.

Dave

RedFish,

What is your recommendation for sealing-do I use Ultra Black and put it on both sides of the gasket same as I did on the metal gasket? Did leave anything out. Thanks again.

Some times growing old is a real pain-but I still am very active. l climb trees and run with my grand kids-what a blessing.
Dave

I used red hi temp RTV at the 4 end water ports and a little at the cross heat overs head side only.The gaskets already have sealant for the intake side.
Red suits the engine paint being red as well.
The thicker gaskets in one plane means a larger gap at adjacent planes. In other words , thicker end rail seals ( supplied by Felpro ) or a larger bead of sealant instead of those end seals.

That's one of the reasons I don't like to mill heads and manifolds. Unless it's done correctly, you can have all kinds of sealing problems. Did the machine shop mill the ends too or just the sides? When I assemble an engine, I'll set the intake on without any gaskets just to see how well it fits all the way around. Much easier on the stand than working over a fender trying to fix a leak.

The machine shop did my engine work in 2006. Bore, valves, cam. He milled sides and ends. The engine is in the Dart. There probably should have not been any milling done at all, but he did it to raise the compression to 9.7:1.

Dave

i had the same problem with my weiand action plus 360 intake with it leaking coolant and puddling in the first two bolt journals on either side.i then switched to a .60 felpro intake gasket set and ultra black gasket sealer and that cured it for a few days and come to find out i had a trickle coming from behind my thermostat housing because it was chrome plated and wasnt sealing.the guy at advance auto had pulled the wrong gasket set in the first place.just something to check.

Another problem I have run into is-trying to torque 3 bolts. I have ft lbs and inch lbs. The 3/8x3/8 socket fits but there is no room for a flex extension or the wrench. I am using edelbrock bolts, 3/8 12 point. The first time I used a 3/8 wrench and guestimated 25 ft lbs and gave it an extra 1/2 turn to be safe.

Dave

My third time-still a leaking problem on the sides, even with the composit gasket and rtv. I have tightned and re-tightned. I need to talk to the guy that did the machining and see what his other solutions may be. I guess the only logical thing to do is put on other heads. It's trying to locate some. I found a set of 318 small port 83-89 (casting 302) with the heart shaped chambers but are these the swirl port? I found them about 3 hours from me in Clearwater Florida. Shipping is 25.00 each. I know that my 67 273 are really good heads. Slim chance of finding another set probably.

I guess my heads should have never been milled. Any suggestions from any of you fellows. Thanks

Dave

The 302 castings are a very good head but you'll have to plug the smog ports for your application. Your compression ratio will drop a bit using that head however as the chamber is a little bigger than your 920 castings. I have some used 920 castings for sale but shipping across the country might be a bit high.

Yes, the 920 castings are for the '66-7 273 and the '67 LA318.....they use the same close-chambered head. Shipping is getting ridiculous with UPS. The want $150 for two 55lb packages shipped via ground service. I'll check with the post office and see what their prices are like. I'd want $75 for a pair of used heads. Due to the shipping costs, it would probably be a good idea to have them magged before they're sent. I'd hate to ship them and then find there is a crack or some other major problem. I'll ship them either way but without magging them, you would be accepting the risk if there was a problem and would have to pay for shipping on a replacement if necessary. I'll supply a free replacement either way.....it's just the shipping cost you'd pay. If we have them magged, the whole thing would be guaranteed. I can get a price for cleaning and magging (or even a full valve job) if you like. Just let me know.
Thanks, Mark

OK so you stated the same guy who milled the heads milled the intake ? Do you know which intake surfaces were milled and how much ?

.................U said when the engine was built that the heads and intake were both milled...............did u get the new intake milled?.....it needs 2 b......kim..............

The heads were originally milled .050. I never had the 340 Intake milled. The new intake was milled .080 sides, .090 ends. I used the Edelbrock composit intake gasket (.060) the second time I installed the Edelbrock intake. I am still getting a leak on the right side. I used carb cleaner and sprayed around the intake and the idle increases. Even after re-torque. Thanks

Dave

Maybe the intake is cracked or has a casting flaw or porosity problem?

The heads were originally milled .050. I never had the 340 Intake milled. The new intake was milled .080 sides, .090 ends. I used the Edelbrock composit intake gasket (.060) the second time I installed the Edelbrock intake. I am still getting a leak on the right side. I used carb cleaner and sprayed around the intake and the idle increases. Even after re-torque. Thanks

Dave
I could be wrong but I think somebodies geometery calculations are flawed. You may have gaps around that intake that no gasket will fill.
I would set the intake with no gaskets and just 4 corner bolts finger tight. Then use feeler gauges to find out for sure.

-
Back