67 Dar 273 Intake manifold watr leak

-
RedFish,

I think that you are correct about the calculations being are flawed. I will take your suggestion. I just don't want to take everything apart again.
I am going to request that the guy get me new heads. If need be I might retain an attorney. My wife pays $7 a month for attorney services.

Dave

Are you trying to use the end gaskets supplied in the kit? Edelbrock states not to use the end gaskets and use a bead of RTV. Almost always the end gaskets are too thick and will raise the intake higher than needed. Best thing to do is lay the manifold in with the intake gaskets and no end pieces to check the end gaps. That will let you know how big of a bead you will need to seal it up. I always use more than needed just to insure a good seal. Good luck with this.

I wouldn't expect the machine shop to replace the heads . I would expect them to replace the intake.
Everybody and his brother will suggest replacing the end gaskets with a large bead of RTV in any application.

.......In ur 1st 2 posts u say the intake was milled.......later on u say it wasn't in post 23.....if it wasn't y then would u mill the new 1.....if the heads were milled .050, then .080 on the new intake is way too much.....r the little locator pins in the front and rear on the block to hold the end gaskets in place....if so they need to come out.....kim......

I used rtv on the ends.

The guy said that if it became necessary he would replace the heads.

Sometimes the simplest things can stop a train. After I installed the intake I put he carb on the, first the gasket and then the 1/6" plate. What I failed to do was put another gasket on between the plate and carb. After I got everything back together I just did not notice the missing gasket. I've kicked myself many times over the course of a week or so. I usually measure twice and cut once to eliminate the possibility of error. I blaimed our dog for making the mistake, could not blame my wife, she was not there. Anyway, the dart runs well and idles good considering it has a mechanical cam, 224/468@50. At least now the carb can be adjusted. If any of you folks need advice on how not to mess up let me know. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

Dave

-
Back