67' dart /6 to 383 pitman arm issues?

-

Dart_440

Reaction score
I have been searching like mad, the more I search the more I confused I get. Here is my situation, I swapped a 383 in place of my /6 in my 67' dart. Everything seemed ok until I installed the TTI headers. It looks like I will have a slight very slight interference with the centerlink and idler arm with the pan, but nothing I am worried about or cant fix. My issue is that the pitman arm nut which is on the top smashes pretty good into my headers. I bought the headers used, they have a slight dent at that location but no where near enough. I am hitting it pretty bad, probably need 3/4"-1" to get it to clear.

Is this normal?? I thought about trying to shim the motor up.. but I know I can't move it up that much.. What are my options?? I am considering swapping in a 73 and new k-frame & steering, but before I spend the money on it and go through all the trouble I need to be sure this will fix the problem.

Help please..

Thanks Bryan

I'm guessing the "slight dent" was the grease fitting on the later model pitman arm . Loads to the drag link in opposite direction. I dont do headers on A-body. Too many problems. Good luck

Like was said.. You have the early pitman arm K frame. And the early arm... The easiest way is to swap in the later stuff. I dont believe you can simply switch arms becuase the later bolts thru the K, the early bolts to the K. I'm not positive, but I think that's the difference.

Like was said.. You have the early pitman arm K frame. And the early arm... The easiest way is to swap in the later stuff. I dont believe you can simply switch arms becuase the later bolts thru the K, the early bolts to the K. I'm not positive, but I think that's the difference.

Thats the idler arm difference at the K between 67 and 68 up models.
The ball stud ends of both idler and pitman arms didn't change until 19??

I forget. Gotta love 'em :)

Thats the idler arm difference at the K between 67 and 68 up models.
The ball stud ends of both idler and pitman arms didn't change until 19??

I forget. Gotta love 'em :)

what K frame , what mounts , what oil pan ?

Your confusing center links and sway bars, but the year differences are the same, 67-72 and 73-76. Only the idler and k-member mount for the idler were different in 1967.

And, you CAN use an early sway bar on a late k-member, but it is more difficult to use a late sway bar on and early k-member (but it could still be done).

Your confusing center links and sway bars, but the year differences are the same, 67-72 and 73-76. Only the idler and k-member mount for the idler were different in 1967.

And, you CAN use an early sway bar on a late k-member, but it is more difficult to use a late sway bar on and early k-member (but it could still be done).

also need to note it's not that easy to swap to the later , 73 up , withthe nuts on the bottom side , that will also require a steering box change to a 73 up box with the large output shaft.

actually I was able to get my 67' stuff to work.. I used someones suggestion and ever so slightly bent my pitman arm down and also massaged the header tube a little and now I clear fine.

Thanks for all the replies..

-
Back