67 Dart Disc Conversion brake hose too short

-

berlins

BerlinS
Reaction score
I am converting my 67 Dart from drum to disk brakes. I got Disk brakes and upper control arms from a 75 Dart. Had to put calipers on the back side because they hit the sway bar when on the front. Bought new disk brake hoses for a 75 Dart but they won't work. Anybody have a solution?

Also noticed the disc rotors stick out a little farther. Have some large bolt
14" ralley wheels I was wanting to put on. Will 205x14x70 tires work??

The brake hose has a short metal tube at caliper end. I used a bender to alter that tube just enough so the most exteme travel didn't stretch the hose.
Good luck

Just bent the hose as you said and it works OK. Thank you very much, I didn't think that piece would bend without breaking. Did you have any issues with tires due to the disc spindles stick out farther? My new wheels
have the same 4" or so offset as the small bolt pattern ralley wheels I have
on it now.

Just bent the hose as you said and it works OK. Thank you very much, I didn't think that piece would bend without breaking. Did you have any issues with tires due to the disc spindles stick out farther? My new wheels
have the same 4" or so offset as the small bolt pattern ralley wheels I have
on it now.

That line probably would crack if bent near its end block. make sure its not gonna scrub the wheel too.
I went to big bolt pattern rallyes and different tires all at once so I really cant answer your wheel question. I wouldn't expect a problem though. Good luck.

You need a hose off a Volare. Get one for a disc brake car. It will come with a bracket wrapped around the middle of the hose (I guess it was used to support the hose). Get a set of pliers and carefully remove that bracket. It will give you a banjo type hose that will be long enough to work.

brakes.jpg

You need a hose off a Volare. Get one for a disc brake car. It will come with a bracket wrapped around the middle of the hose (I guess it was used to support the hose). Get a set of pliers and carefully remove that bracket. It will give you a banjo type hose that will be long enough to work.

brakes.jpg

What he said. Tell them '79 with the 360.

Hey rob, What kind of pads are those? ebc redstuff? how do they work?

When you go to rear hung calipers the best thing to do is to buy the correct calipers for the job. Then the hose routing is easier and everything works better. Get the calipers from a mid-80's FMJ that came with rear hung calipers. The hose will mount on the bottom and the bleeder will be at the top.

Thanks for all the help. After bending the 75 Dart disk brake line hoses they look about the same as what your pictures showed using the Volare hoses. Just put a pair of 205x14x70 tires on with 70 Ralley 14x61/2 or 7" wheels and
it looks like they will work- they stick out a little more than with the drums but still fit under the fenders. Might be just me but the wheels don't seem to turn as far left and right like they did with the drum brakes.

The fluid line should enter the bottom and bleeder at the top in any application. For 75 a-body calipers just switch left and right.

Had to cut off some of the treads on one of the lower ball joint screws that
hold the ball joint to the spindle. They were sticking out too far, hitting the sway bar bracket on both sides, keeping the wheels from turning in all the way. Now my turning radius is back to normal with the disc brake upgrade using 75 Dart Disc brakes.

brakes.jpg

Looks like your caliper is on the wrong side. Hose should be at the bottom and the bleeder at the top. Nice beefy tie rod sleeve though.

Wylde1.

Damn, I just noticed that, good eye!!!!

Will the Volare hoses work if the caliper is mounted correctly?
Thanks,
C

Actually the calipers are mounted correctly, I have the same situation and all of the research I have done shows the hose at the top for these calipers so that the bleeder is on the 12 o'clock position. I just ordered the volare hoses that are about 2" longer so it should be good. I thought I had them wrong as well but that is what everybody shows it to be. just my 2 cents though.
On another note does anybody besides AR Engineering make a caliper upgrade to cars that already have the 73 & up type setup???

I was under the impression that it was a bad idea to move the caliper to the back. The reasoning I have always heard was that it was designed to be towards the front for a reason. I only ask because I am getting ready to start this swap onto my '65 Barracuda along with adding a front sway bar. Everything was ordered from PST. It will help to know ahead of time before I but the brake hoses.
I am starting to buy a few things each week until I have all the parts ready. When I bought the disc brake caliper hardware kit, the "metal plates" are a touch wider than the originals that were rusted to the calipers, is that just an aftermarket difference? Has anyone else noticed it? Thanks for any info.

I was under the impression that it was a bad idea to move the caliper to the back. The reasoning I have always heard was that it was designed to be towards the front for a reason. I only ask because I am getting ready to start this swap onto my '65 Barracuda along with adding a front sway bar. Everything was ordered from PST. It will help to know ahead of time before I but the brake hoses.
I am starting to buy a few things each week until I have all the parts ready. When I bought the disc brake caliper hardware kit, the "metal plates" are a touch wider than the originals that were rusted to the calipers, is that just an aftermarket difference? Has anyone else noticed it? Thanks for any info.

I was just thinking about this the other day...
Theoretically the rotation of the wheels and the resulting forces when trying to stop COULD cause an upwards motion and unload the wheels and therefore lessen available traction with the calipers mounted towards the rear. And the reverse for the front. But According to the calculations I was doing in my head While I was thinking about this, the differences in tire loading would be so negligible that it wouldn't be noticeable even on a Formula-1 car.

For the most part the only reason car manufacturers place them where they do is packaging.

Hope this helps!

Benjamin

If you mount the calipers to the rear then get the correct calipers. Late model FMJ cars had the calipers hung to the rear. Those calipers have the hose at the bottom and the bleeder at the top. I've never seen a factory hose that works correctly with rear hung calipers but custom hoses are easy to buy. Goodridge has a whole line of DOT brake hoses or any good local hose shop can build rubber lines and pressure check them.

-
Back