67 Dart GT Racecar Rescue

-
The Hemi cam was a great grind. Couldn't support 700 HP, but it was a really good cam. It was available for all the big blocks at one time. Start it and see how it sounds. I think you'll have trouble gettin that 1050 to run good on it, but you never know what's in it. Keep us posted. Cool story.

So I got the 1050 mounted, but it leaked and wouldn't give any gas. Not a big surprise, a used carb, unrebuilt, you don't expect to work right off, it was a quick and dirty long shot, I admit it.
Meanwhile, I got busy installing a fuel pump, the much-recommended Walbro GSL-392, and a Holley regulator. For some reason the builder installed the fuel tank, which looks like a stock A-body tank, except it's dropped in the top in a cutout where the spare well would be, and it's backwards. Not by accident, some effort was made to make the fuel filler work this way. I can only imagine it's so upon acceleration the fuel sloshing backwards will go toward the inlet & sender rather than away?

Anyway, there had been a fuel system in there, but it had been pulled out at some point, leaving just the single aluminum 3/8" line with slightly mangled ends.

I'm making an effort to plan carefully and keep my goals in mind. The ultimate goal for this car is a recreation of a period street racer, built with mopar parts as much as possible. It's not my goal to make it go faster, or do modern upgrades beyond a certain point. Also, the goal right now is to get it rolling under its own power so I can get it up on a lift - then I'll replace the line, but for now I'll work with what's there.
I installed the fuel pump on the rear crossrail, directly behind the license plate - kind of a strange place and probably not the ultimate safety feature, but it's close to the tank inlet, and is good enough for now. The regulator is a generic Holley installed deadhead fashion on the front fenderwell, using screw holes that were already there - same part was probably there before.

For now I have a rubber hose from the regulator to the fuel rail, with a nasty clear plastic inline fuel filter - I like running those for the first couple of tanks to keep an eye on whether there's crud coming from the tank. Then I'll replace it with a braided line.

Anyway, I had a decision to make when the 1050 wasn't working. The tempting thing to do was to yank it off and swap one of the other Dominators I have without rebuilding it, like the 1150, and see if I get lucky. The wiser thing, I reasoned, was to take a core AVS and rebuild it with a kit I have on hand, and mount it on the tunnel ram without the adapter plate. That would be a far more 'known' situation, with a carb probably far closer to streetable and far closer to what you's expect to run well on this motor. Better to be sensible.
Nah!
Off with the 1050, on with the 1150. The marine fittings really helped make the changeover quick. The 1150 had been the main carb, there others were backups. Fingers crossed!

And she started RIGHT up, and runs REALLY well. The progressive linkage opens very smoothly, no flat spots or surging.

Last edited:
The Hemi cam was a great grind. Couldn't support 700 HP, but it was a really good cam. It was available for all the big blocks at one time. Start it and see how it sounds. I think you'll have trouble gettin that 1050 to run good on it, but you never know what's in it. Keep us posted. Cool story.

I skipped to the end , when I read "pinion snubber'' with ladder bars . A hemi cam was really a bit of a dog in a street hemi, not big at all for a big engine ---------
A large amount of B.S. , no way 700 h.p. !

I skipped to the end , when I read "pinion snubber'' with ladder bars . A hemi cam was really a bit of a dog in a street hemi, not big at all for a big engine ---------
A large amount of B.S. , no way 700 h.p. !

Very true as far as race cams were concerned, but it was a decent street cam.

Very true as far as race cams were concerned, but it was a decent street cam.
First upgrade to a serious hemi owner back then , I went w/ a stx 22 , then w/ a 785 lift cam dynamics roller-- I still cant get past he pinion snubber and ladder bars either !

First upgrade to a serious hemi owner back then , I went w/ a stx 22 , then w/ a 785 lift cam dynamics roller-- I still cant get past he pinion snubber and ladder bars either !

Yeah well........musta been a Chevy guy that did that. lol I still caint understand why everybody is so in love with CalTracs, when SS springs will go down into the eights.

Yeah well........musta been a Chevy guy that did that. lol I still caint understand why everybody is so in love with CalTracs, when SS springs will go down into the eights.

Much the reason I kept mine ,getting too old to worry about it now----

Much the reason I kept mine ,getting too old to worry about it now----

Plus the SS springs are about half the price. I think that gets filed under "a fool and his money". lol

Subscribed. Really cool find. Nice to have something like that, thats got battle scars and stories to tell. Your right about not restoring it, but maintaining what's already there, and keeping it as it was built to be. Maybe polish up those centerline, and upgrade to maybe BBP disc brakes in the front if it doesnt have em already.

Nice, but is anybody 'cept me thinkin that might be a bit overcarbed?

-
Back