67 dart windshield lock strip

-

mopar marc

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I have found several posts on this subject and there have been suggestions that you can use the chrome lockstrip from the 70-80s dodge trucks.

My question is has anyone actually done this with any success?

Thank you in advance

Nope... well sort of but I have a 2 door ht (GT) the chrome (plastic) lock strip that goes in the windshield seal.

Convertible molding is a completely different animal than hardtop molding. I have heard the truck lockstrip will work in a hardtop.

I had a guy put my rear window, and wind shield in. He did not seal it with any thing. He says I need the lock strips to help seal it. I need to buy the lock strips still, but shouldnt have he glued- sealed the glass in? Its going to leak , and or fly out. Where is the best place to buy the lockstrip, and can I get it out of the dodge trucks for my 63 Dart gt Hardtop.

Ams obsolete carries a locking strip. I spoke with them this week they said they are not concourse but look great I have not got mine yet. www.MMPAR.com

seen them on ebay, not sure of the manufacturer, but worth checking. other thing is that if theres any difference in the truck lock strip from the original then the corner peices may not fit right.

yes, someone else has stated they used the chevy truck lock strip on his original 67 gaskets. not quite the same but works very well & is cost effective.
i do not know the exact thread-- but I have read that more than 1 x.

Look up converting to 68 style windshield gaskets-- Lawrence

I had a guy put my rear window, and wind shield in. He did not seal it with any thing. He says I need the lock strips to help seal it. I need to buy the lock strips still, but shouldnt have he glued- sealed the glass in? Its going to leak , and or fly out. Where is the best place to buy the lockstrip, and can I get it out of the dodge trucks for my 63 Dart gt Hardtop.
\

I bought mine from steel rubber.I had glass company install,and they too did not use any sealer.Leaked like crazy and you could push the bottom of the windshield out.Had them back 2 more times.They finaly used some kind of sealer that dried rock hard.No more leaks ,but I'd hate to have to remove it.

Every original gasket I have removed has has butyl sealant where the gasket meets the body and a greyish beading and glazing compound like used in house window panes where the windshield sits in the gasket. The lock strip maintains the seal but doesn't create a water proof seal there.
On a positive note, you can lift the outer lip of the gasket and apply a sealer of some type there.
As for what sustitute lockstrip will work in the 67 gasket, I dont know. Good luck though.
By the way, If tghe edge of the glass sits in water the glass will turn white from the edge upward.

I got the lock strip from mmpar.com. It's the same shape as the original. The original lock strips shrunk like mad. Mopar had a company make them from another formula of plastic different from the original as a solution to the shrinking problem. I understand people were coming back with new cars in 6 months with shrunken lock strips. When this company stopped making them in the early 70's mmpar said they bought all their stock.

I got the lock strip from mmpar.com. It's the same shape as the original. The original lock strips shrunk like mad. Mopar had a company make them from another formula of plastic different from the original as a solution to the shrinking problem. I understand people were coming back with new cars in 6 months with shrunken lock strips. When this company stopped making them in the early 70's mmpar said they bought all their stock.

When did you buy your lockstrip? I just searched a few minutes ago and they said no stock. Also, may I ask how much you paid for it? "Fast Frank" is notorious for overcharging on things.

Attachments

• Orig & YO-LSsml.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 500
thats the best pic i have so far:

you can see that the lockstrip still needs some adjustment or even some glue to stay in place.
Installing the lockstrip is one of the most nervwrecking things you can do

Reviving an old thread. Dads 67.fastback. Had repop lockstrips when.he bought it. Leaks at the front windshield and at the back. Repops shrunk like hell !!
Any ideas! Im thinking of changing to 68 and up

I just did the swap on mine, and that's what I would suggest. There are multiple threads about it if you do a search.

I got the clips/screws you need on ebay, windshield gaskets there too. I had the trim off a 69 from a prev part out. You can find the trim used here on FABO or some parts places have refurbished I think...

Good luck,

Joe

I just did the swap on mine, and that's what I would suggest. There are multiple threads about it if you do a search.

I got the clips/screws you need on ebay, windshield gaskets there too. I had the trim off a 69 from a prev part out. You can find the trim used here on FABO or some parts places have refurbished I think...

Good luck,

Joe

I was hoping someone would chime in with a GOOD lockstrip supplier:banghead:
I can see a gasket swap both front and back adding up $$$$ quick

-
Back