67 Dodge Dart GT

-

Hank Mash

Reaction score
Im building a 67 dart gt and wanting to put an 8 3/4 posi rear end in it. Kind of having trouble finding one in arkansas what year model and other cars could work to fit in this one? And if there is anyone if arkansas on here that has one for sale I would like to check it out

A body would be dart/barracuda/scamp/valiant/demon/duster

B Body would be gtx/satelite/coronet/roadrunner/charger/superbee/maybe i'm mising some.

I ended up selling mine and going Dana. Stronger, much cheaper.

A body would be dart/barracuda/scamp/valiant/demon/duster

B Body would be gtx/satelite/coronet/roadrunner/charger/superbee/maybe i'm mising some.

I ended up selling mine and going Dana. Stronger, much cheaper.

What he said. Dana 60 is the better way to go, especially if you're building something that's going to really turn the screws. Pretty tough to break a D60.

complete you are talking almost 3,000 more for an 8.75 and it's not as strong. New of course.

Dana is overkill for an a body unless your using real good rear suspension
and slicks...plus they weigh a ton! Stock a body suspension combined with lightweight
car makes for lousy tire hookup anyway. OP never mentioned racing the car.

Well I am getting a 340 built for it right now and it is going to be pretty hoped up and a 727 transmission that is going to be built up a little. It had the small rear end being the car was a 273 with an automatic so I am trying to come up with something more durable. It is going to be more street/strip type of car.

Well I am getting a 340 built for it right now and it is going to be pretty hoped up and a 727 transmission that is going to be built up a little. It had the small rear end being the car was a 273 with an automatic so I am trying to come up with something more durable. It is going to be more street/strip type of car.

In that case, you'll be fine with an 8 3/4.

find a big old land barge C body throw your head underneath and see if it has one.

Pull it for $100 or less. Disassemble the rear end and cut the housing to size, weld her up. Now you have an A body length housing. Get some axles from moser or strange and ba da bing you have a complete axle for less then $1000

More on the C body...if you can find a local re-spliner (ask at a dragstrip or machine shop) there is enough material on the stock C body shafts to cut and re-spline.

I have a friend who's nephew invested in the equipment and only charges about $50 to do it.

A 66-67 B body 8 3/4 is narrower than any other and might fit (they fit just fine in Dusters and 67-69 Barracudas), but clearance to the fenders will be tight on a Dart.

Dana is overkill for an a body unless your using real good rear suspension
and slicks...plus they weigh a ton! Stock a body suspension combined with lightweight
car makes for lousy tire hookup anyway. OP never mentioned racing the car.

None of this is true.

OVerkill? What is that? Cheap and doesn't break.. end of story. I've broken an 8.75 behind a 340 on DOT tires.

They don't weigh a ton and if you buy a new one (start price 1800) It can be narrower than stock.

Stock a-body's hook like crazy. Doesn't take much to get them to hook at all on stock suspension. Clamps, snubber.

find a big old land barge C body throw your head underneath and see if it has one.

Pull it for $100 or less. Disassemble the rear end and cut the housing to size, weld her up. Now you have an A body length housing. Get some axles from moser or strange and ba da bing you have a complete axle for less then $1000

at that point he might as well buy a A body rear, ready to run for 800-1,000.

I have an 8.75 in my back halved Demon with a 500cid big block and haven't had any problems. You definitely need to put a back brace on the housing to keep it straight if you are going to be putting any big power to it.

No, it doesn't need to be cut to work. If you buy new wheels they'll just need more backspacing.

What is the inside length on the a body verse the b body?

Rear end widths, drum-to-drum:

A BODY’66-’72: 57-1/8″

B BODY
’62-’63: 58-1/2″ (And ’64 Max Wedge)
’64: 60-7/8″ (Exc.Max Wedge)
’65-’67: 59-1/2″
’68-’70: 60-1/8″
’71-’74: 63″
’71-’73 wagon: 64-3/8″

-
Back