67 GTS 4-Speed: Daily Summer Driver

-
This past weekend I was in the area for a wedding so I got a little time to work on the GTS. Got the passenger side keepers and retainers installed

IMG_2146.jpg

Still have to do the drivers side. Then its on to more inspection and hopefully getting it back together.

IMG_2145.jpg

I was back at it this past weekend. I was able to get all the retainers and locks changed out on both sides. I cleaned both rocker shaft assemblies and insured the oil drain holes were oriented properly. I Installed all the push rods and rotated the engine to make sure everything worked properly

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

In this process I noticed the number 3 spark plugs ground strap was contacting the electrode, so I fixed that. Also noticed tightening the number 7 spark plug is impossible with the steering gear... So I may have a sacrifice a wench and cut/weld up a tool that will make it possible to do.

But to rotate the engine I removed the fan, and figured since that is already off, it wasnt too much more to replace the radiator with a 4 row copper one from OER. The top tank is significantly bigger than the 2 row I removed (which was from a 383 charger, so I figured it should work in this application, but it didnt). So hopefully that helps with my over heating issue I have always had with this car.

I also took a measurement from the front of the water pump pulley and the back side of the radiator core and saw I have just over 3", which means I should be able to fit the Hayden 2947 fan clutch, with one of the clutch fans I have laying around. Also notice mancini has the 2785 614 shroud that should work with this radiator. So hopefully with all this (and no damn backfiring) the car should be able to be enjoyed... hopefully.

I made it back to where the car is for a family function and got some time in-between winterizing the other vehicles. I finally started it after the work that was described above and holy cow!! You could balance a nickel on that engine at idle it was so smooth! the idle sounded awesome! After I tried to break in the new lifter I had installed I decided to take it up the street. Under load and heavy acceleration there was no backfiring!! I was ecstatic! Even better is that the temperature stayed consistent with the new radiator.

A couple things I noticed was the car did not like to charge at all. I dont believe it is the voltage regulator, since I know that is a known good one. However I do not know if the alternator is in decent shape. Easy enough to check out.

Another thing that is and has been problematic with this car was the steering wheel will automatically turn right. Even at idle the steering wheel will start turning to the right without any input from the driver. This is even worse when your trying to accelerate with one hand on the wheel trying to shift and fighting to keep the car straight. How can I address this situation? The steering pump is new and the steering gear is a remanufactured one. It is a federal pump. The solution is here

Last edited:
Well I was able to get a little time in on the GTS while home. One issue that has been there since the start is the interference of the Z bar and the headers. Never really took the time to fix it since I could never get the car to run right and the steering was always a pain. Well I had the wife cycle the clutch a couple times and saw exactly where it hits:

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

So two areas. One at the tip of the Z bar and just a little further up the arm. I was able to remove the Z bar, not as bad as I thought it would be, and was able to grind those areas down. Since this was Monday and had to drive back the same day I figured I stop on a good note and hope to get this thing installed next time I am back home. With this addressed, get the alternator situation addressed, get the clutch fan in, and the steering this car should FINALLY be close to enjoying!!

This past weekend I needed the jack stands that held up the GTS to lift the Packard up so I could change the front wheel bearings. before I set the GTS on the ground I was able to install the Z bar. That was a pain in the ***. But it fits better now and the operation is a lot smoother!

IMG_2352.jpg

I also got it started and adjusted the valve on top of the steering gear so that the wheels dont always dive right. I also looked into the brake leak on the drivers side. was able to get about a quarter turn out of the connections on the distribution block but took notice that all the lines on the caliper were tight. What I did see was some fluid coming out of the bleeder screw. I tried tightening it down a little and nothing. I went with taking a few threads off of the bleeder in case it was bottoming out on the threads and not the seat. Not to sure if that cured it. Ill find out more when I get home next and if there is still leakage, Ill just get another caliper. Not to sure what else I can do.

Removed the alternator so I can take to a parts store and get it tested to see if it is bad. I believe the voltage regulator was good when I took it off my other dart. If this tests good, I am not to sure what else would prevent this from charging. All the wiring is brand new. The only other electrical issue is the turn signals. I flip the turn signal stalk and the lights turn on, just dont blink. I tried different flashers and nothing. Just something I need to look into

-
Back