67 notchback resurrection

-
Alright everyone starting to put some effort into getting this thing running. Went ahead and found a 3310 holley carb to replace the carter I had. Looking at potential buys for disc brake conversion in the front which would switch it to the 5x4.5 pattern. Looking under the vehicle looks like I have a 8 3/4 rear end since I have a drop out 3rd member. What would be my best bet for converting to 5x4.5 also? New axles or complete rear end? Have a rear end out of a 71 barracuda nearby available not sure if that would work .

Alright everyone starting to put some effort into getting this thing running. Went ahead and found a 3310 holley carb to replace the carter I had. Looking at potential buys for disc brake conversion in the front which would switch it to the 5x4.5 pattern. Looking under the vehicle looks like I have a 8 3/4 rear end since I have a drop out 3rd member. What would be my best bet for converting to 5x4.5 also? New axles or complete rear end? Have a rear end out of a 71 barracuda nearby available not sure if that would work .
E body will be wider, iirc..You can get with Cass from @DoctorDiff

looks like i will be switching over to a 8 1/4 for the lug pattern from a A body dart. What is the going rate on selling a 8 3/4 5x4 rear end?

looks like i will be switching over to a 8 1/4 for the lug pattern from a A body dart. What is the going rate on selling a 8 3/4 5x4 rear end?
Depending on where you get it! I mean if you go to a swap meet looking for an a body specific entire rear end you're going to pay over a grand I think b-body's pretty close within three quarters of an inch if I remember correctly depending on what you're going to do with your car you really don't want to go with nothing less than that although I think some guys are using 8.8 out of the Ford Explorers. I personally cannot vouch for how much horsepower they can take or how much traction. Unless you're restoring your car to factory correct you be better off going with five on four and a half for the wheel pattern

Depending on where you get it! I mean if you go to a swap meet looking for an a body specific entire rear end you're going to pay over a grand I think b-body's pretty close within three quarters of an inch if I remember correctly depending on what you're going to do with your car you really don't want to go with nothing less than that although I think some guys are using 8.8 out of the Ford Explorers. I personally cannot vouch for how much horsepower they can take or how much traction. Unless you're restoring your car to factory correct you be better off going with five on four and a half for the wheel pattern
I have a line on a 8 1/4 a body just missing drums but will prob convert to disc. I have under the car right now a complete a body 8 3/4 5x4 rear end that I’ll be selling just trying to figure the value

I have a line on a 8 1/4 a body just missing drums but will prob convert to disc. I have under the car right now a complete a body 8 3/4 5x4 rear end that I’ll be selling just trying to figure the value
A five on four eight and a quarter it's probably worth a grand man.. these days maybe more if you got the center with it

yea its 100% complete ready to roll.
Right on it also depends on your location. Most people unless they're doing a factory correct restoration actually want to upgrade to the five on four and a half inch bolt circle because of your choice of rims is just way better it used to be able to get 14 inch rims back in the day on 4-H centers but a lot of people quit making them I think I seen one guy on here that had a set of them center lines on forest center and I believe he wanted like some insane money like two grand 2500 maybe only 1500 it's on here to look it up not knocking the guy I mean it is what it is that's what they're worth cuz they don't make them

Right on it also depends on your location. Most people unless they're doing a factory correct restoration actually want to upgrade to the five on four and a half inch bolt circle because of your choice of rims is just way better it used to be able to get 14 inch rims back in the day on 4-H centers but a lot of people quit making them I think I seen one guy on here that had a set of them center lines on forest center and I believe he wanted like some insane money like two grand 2500 maybe only 1500 it's on here to look it up not knocking the guy I mean it is what it is that's what they're worth cuz they don't make them
yea im in southern california. i do not care too much for the 5x4 wheels that are available. so going to 5x4.5 for better choices that suit me

Dude- slow down!

The 8-3/4 is a much better axle than the 8-1/4. Plus you will have to get a new driveshaft to match. Dart driveshaft won't work. Talk to Dr Diff about getting new axles for your existing 8-3/4; then, if you want to keep it relatively "low $" get the matching drum brake kit for the rear. In the end you will come out ahead. Then if you ever go higher power or want to swap gears the 8-3/4 will be there already.

Dude- slow down!

The 8-3/4 is a much better axle than the 8-1/4. Plus you will have to get a new driveshaft to match. Dart driveshaft won't work. Talk to Dr Diff about getting new axles for your existing 8-3/4; then, if you want to keep it relatively "low $" get the matching drum brake kit for the rear. In the end you will come out ahead. Then if you ever go higher power or want to swap gears the 8-3/4 will be there already.
And Dr Diff has disc brake swaps for the rear if that is what you want.

DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components

Axles:
Mopar Axle Package 5 X 4 1/2" (5 X 4.5) Bolt Pattern 30/35 Spline
Explorer Brake Kit:
Mopar 11.25" Rear Disc Brake Kit

Guess I’ll go that route the car will never be extreme on the horsepower.

One of the nice things about the 8-3/4” is there are no C-clips. If you have ever seen someone spit out an axle because of the C-clips…

And I am a little biased:

1677217354131.jpeg

Attachments

• stud.pdf
    324.9 KB · Views: 30
  • stud.pdf
    324.9 KB · Views: 24
looking at ordering a disc brake conversion for the front pretty soon. Was looking at possibly this kit MBM Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Large Bolt Pattern. what has most people done? don't really want to search for used parts to convert so looking for towards a kit.

I went with a Wilwood one. Installed easy and works great. Be advised though the hubs are pretty big - worked out for me because I was using a modern style wheel with high backspace and was going to need a spacer anyway, but getting these to work with an older style wheel would be tough... I guess you need to think about wheels a bit before you decide on brakes... Wilwood Disc Brakes 140-15468-D Wilwood Forged Dynalite Big Brake Front Brake Kits | Summit Racing There's some installed pics in my build thread linked in my signature.

I went with a Wilwood one. Installed easy and works great. Be advised though the hubs are pretty big - worked out for me because I was using a modern style wheel with high backspace and was going to need a spacer anyway, but getting these to work with an older style wheel would be tough... I guess you need to think about wheels a bit before you decide on brakes... Wilwood Disc Brakes 140-15468-D Wilwood Forged Dynalite Big Brake Front Brake Kits | Summit Racing There's some installed pics in my build thread linked in my signature.
Nice yea I am looking to get a kit that also replaces the spindle. Had a weird issue with the front left wheel leaving the vehicle a couple times after fixing and changing multiple things. So what everything as new as can be and will be also buying new wheels for the larger lug pattern

looking at ordering a disc brake conversion for the front pretty soon. Was looking at possibly this kit MBM Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Large Bolt Pattern. what has most people done? don't really want to search for used parts to convert so looking for towards a kit.
The MBM kit looks like it uses the '73-up standard disc brake parts. That is a reasonable way to go.

well may have screwed the pooch, while putting a bunch of the parts on. I got to looking at the water ports on the intake manifold........ decided to try to remove the vertical heater hose i believe fitting off and since it was corroded it snapped. Tried playing with fire for a lil and did not budge. Decided to start chiseling it to break the fitting inside, ended up buying a pipe thread extractor kit and well that didn't work out so well it dug in and ended up putting a crack in the manifold..... I really do not want to have to take it off and have it welded/fixed. Not sure if i just put some rtv on the new pipe nipple if that would seal it enough to not leak..... should have just bought a new one to begin with just had this blasted and powder coated before it was installed... If i do replace it does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement nothing that is too outrageous in price?

-
Back