67 slant6 3ontree conversion to 3byknee A230 driveshaft problem

-

71twister3bytheknee6

Reaction score
I believe I had a 903 3 speed tranny in my 67 Barracuda (not a A745).Whatever is stock is what I had.My mechanic had no problems with the above switch until he said the driveshaft was too long by about an inch and a half,because the slip yoke was not sliding into the A230 deep enough.To make a long story short,he is having a specialty drivetrain shop modify the yoke,replace U joints,and rebalance the shaft.Is anybody familiar with this switch?I thought it was straight forward,but I guess I was mistaken.Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The shaft could not be too long if it was not sliding in far enough LOL

I was under the impression that "everything" (transmissions) in A bodies was same length except for A727. That should include 3 speeds, 4 speed, and A904.

All 66-up A Body 903 and A230s are the same length, same spline
Either your mechanic is trying to fit a B Body trans in there, or he's making stuff up to jack your bill.

This mechanic is as honest as the day is long,and he is a mopar enthusiasts and owns quite a few A- bodies.I wonder if a seal,a burr, or rust could be hanging up the yoke from sliding in sufficiently?

Last edited:
Was the rear end ever changed? For instance....going to an 8-3/4 from a 7-1/4 requires a shorter driveshaft.

So all is well,the original slip yoke from the 903 was cut down 1.5 inches,new u joints installed,and the shaft balanced.My mechanic said there is still 3 inches of contact overlap between the output shaft of the A230 and the modified slip yoke.I have bought a 1970 on 903 slip yoke from a FABO member to compare it with this modified slip yoke to see if I can figure out what happened (a member here said an older slip yoke could be longer,which would seem to me to mean the original 903 tranny I had in the car would have to have more overlap with that slip yoke).Thanks for all your help.

-
Back