68 273?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I have a question for the guru's, did they come out with 273's and 318's both in the 68 darts? I have a 68 with a sb V8 and the engine looks different than the 273's that I have. Let me know, I am curious when they quit using the 273.

273s were used until they were all used up. Last went into late 68 Dodge is what I've read.

I've got a 69 273 engine from a 69 Dart GT. Thought it was a 318 til I checked the #s

Yup, the 273 and 318 were both offered in `68. The last year for the 273 was 1969. In 68 the 273 lost it`s solid lifters and forged crank. The 318 also lost it`s forged crank in `68. Like 3404speed said, the 273 is often mistaken for a 318, you`ll need to get under the block and find those casting numbers to be sure.

The 318 had a Forged crank from 1962-1974.In 1975 they went to the cast crank.The 273 had a Forged crank from 1966-1969.The 340 had a forged crank 1968-1972 After 4/11/72 it went to cast.
Jim

The 318 had a Forged crank from 1962-1974.In 1975 they went to the cast crank.The 273 had a Forged crank from 1966-1969.The 340 had a forged crank 1968-1972 After 4/11/72 it went to cast.
Jim

Didn't the 273 have a forged crank in 64 & 65 as well?

Yup, the 273 and 318 were both offered in `68. The last year for the 273 was 1969. In 68 the 273 lost it`s solid lifters and forged crank. The 318 also lost it`s forged crank in `68. Like 3404speed said, the 273 is often mistaken for a 318, you`ll need to get under the block and find those casting numbers to be sure.

Jim

Every publication seems to list a different year as to when the 318 acquired a cast crank. If you can get a hold of the book "How to rebuild your smallblock Mopar" by Don Taylor there is an excellent chart that lists the various crankshafts, their composition, and part numbers for all of the LA engines. I used to think the cast crank didn`t arrive until the smog years -72 and up- but it seems that with the introduction of the 340, the 273 and 318 were detuned and with that, the heavy duty parts were no longer of any use except for certain truck and/or police applications. There are castings for both steel and iron crankshafts from 1966 to 1979 so there`a a little of everything out there. Here`s a link to a similar site with some of the same info offered in Don Taylors book. http://www.mopar1.us/Aengine.html

You guys are the greatest, there isn't anything that can't be found out here. that is interesting information, I was unaware Imy 273 (66) has solid lifters and a forged cramk. Tough little monkeys huh?

I don't know where Don Taylor gets his info But those 318 Cast Crank numbers are the numbers for Forged cranks.
Jim

Not trying to gt envoled in the controversy but i have about 5 318's and i can honestly say its kinda hit and miss i got a 70 with cast a 73 with forged a 72 cast and a 72 forged like said earlier most the truck and police apps had forged

Well we all know when it comes to Mopar never say never LOL.And I am not always right so my wife tells me LOL.I am going from Goviers books and personal experiance.Every 318 I ever had was a 74 or older and all of them had steel cranks.But I have been a Big Block only guy now for sometime.But don't get me wrong I like the small blocks too.Maybe I should change my name from 68383GTS to Big Block... LOL Jim

I am only interested in getting an answer from somebody who has had real, hands-on experience with the application in question.

My question is this:

What kind of clearance issues come up when you try to put a 383 or 400 into a '67-up A body with POWER Steering???

I have heard that there's NO problem and I have heard that you simply cannot have a 383/400 motor in a '67-up A body and still use the power steering steering box.

Somebody (probably a LOT of somebodys) knows the answer to this.

I'm very curious, because the first time this 360 blows a head gasket (it has 10 pounds of boost and only 4 head bolts around each cylinder) I will be looking around for a 383/400 motor to replace it. I'd LIKE to keep my Firm Feel power steering box after that swap, if I can.

Has anybody done this?

Any information will be appreciated. Not interested in 440's; just B Blocks.

Bill

You guys are the greatest, there isn't anything that can't be found out here. that is interesting information, I was unaware Imy 273 (66) has solid lifters and a forged cramk. Tough little monkeys huh?

It`s all about sharing info, no one person is the authority on everything but everyone has something to contribute through knowledge, research, or personal experience. As far as the 273, when you don`t have a lot of cubic inches you need to wind `em up high to get some hp, hence the solid cam and forged crank. Chrysler did build a very stout little engine then. Until the introduction of the 340 the 273 was the small block performance engine.

I am only interested in getting an answer from somebody who has had real, hands-on experience with the application in question.

My question is this:

What kind of clearance issues come up when you try to put a 383 or 400 into a '67-up A body with POWER Steering???

I have heard that there's NO problem and I have heard that you simply cannot have a 383/400 motor in a '67-up A body and still use the power steering steering box.

I'm very curious, because the first time this 360 blows a head gasket (it has 10 pounds of boost and only 4 head bolts around each cylinder) I will be looking around for a 383/400 motor to replace it. I'd LIKE to keep my Firm Feel power steering box after that swap, if I can.

Has anybody done this?

Bill

I think it`s more of a header clearance issue than anything. You can probably get creative with the welder and make something happen. Somebody here will surely chime in that`s had personal experience with it.

Bill,

Schumaker makes headers that will clear the power steering when a B or RB is in an A-body. Go to their site at http://www.engine-swaps.com/ and take a look. You do have to notch the K-member to allow for the external oil pump on the B/RB engine. They sell the complete kits to do the job. Its tight and if you go power brakes you will really be tight with the RB! Helped a friend do it on a 68 barracuda last spring. Not an easy task but if you have a full vocabulary of profanity and take your time it comes out sweet!

Larry

Bill,

Schumaker makes headers that will clear the power steering when a B or RB is in an A-body. Go to their site at http://www.engine-swaps.com/ and take a look. You do have to notch the K-member to allow for the external oil pump on the B/RB engine. They sell the complete kits to do the job. Its tight and if you go power brakes you will really be tight with the RB! Helped a friend do it on a 68 barracuda last spring. Not an easy task but if you have a full vocabulary of profanity and take your time it comes out sweet!

Larry

Requirements- jack, wrenches, screwdrivers, complete vocabulary of profanity. :wav:

I`ve had a few jobs like that.

My question is this:

Has anybody done this?

Bill

How did this get here? Is this the start of a new topic? Shouldn't this go in the BB A-bodies tech section?

I had a friend who installed a 440 into a '67 Barracuda with '68-'69 B-body exhaust manifolds and a cop car power steering box. A DC K-frame was copied, the outer steering column sleeve was cut back to clear the manifold, and the cop car box had a return fitting that exited the box straight, instead of a 45deg angle like most, to clear the manifold. When making your own DC K-frame, you have more freedom to move things around to fit.

Sorry for the hi-jack; you're right it should not be here.

Thanks to everyone who answered; I was in error for asking about the P/S in this thread. Sorry...

Hey Bill: Post a new topic and i'll give you an invite for a visuale and we'll have old MeMike and you here for steaks......ribeye of course. Very simple.

-
Back