68 318 or 79 360

-

cmorrow

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a question I haveto choose between two running engines availible to me for the same price. A 1968 318 2 barrel with 727 complete or a 1979 (truck)360 with 727. I originally wanted the 360, the cubic inches would seem to make for a nice engine in my Duster and it already has a Edlebrock intake and holley carb, but the 360 has lower lower compression at 8.2. The 318 has nice compression at 9.2, but less cubes... both engines are cheap... I've always thought older is better when it comes to heads and such and I know I have to buy an intake for the 318 or a oil pan for the 360 so it will still be a wash for stuff to buy.. I guess I just want to know which will be more fun in the car on the weekends without dumping a bunch of money. Someday I might go in another direction Big Block, I just want to maybe drive the car this summer and body work over the winter..

I'd say if you don't plan on doing anything to either of them to just go with the cheaper one...that's my opinion at least. I'm partial to 318's myself. They keep going and going and going and going and going...

If the 360 is out of a truck, new oil pan. And possibly motor mount adapters depending on what the car has in it, maybe a K member.

i would go for the 360 more cubes is almost always more fun and it has better heads. you will also need some exhaust manifolds or a set of headers,driverside truck manifold might interfer with the steeringbox.

I've found another car that I'm taking the k member out of and it still has the 318 so I'll get the mounts as well. I noticed the car has the 90 degree oil filter on it. is this something I'll need?

Will the truck 727 work if it was only a 2 wheel drive, and will it be the same length of one that was made in 74? Reason I ask is the donor car I found for the drive shaft and rear end is a 74. It has a 727 and an 8 1/4 I want to use in my Duster to replace the 7 1/4. I plan on buying headers for the car so not worried about exhaust manifolds. Someone mentioned B&M Flex plate? if I used the truck trans would I need it, or I couldn't use the truck trans and would need the B&M flex plate to use a car 727 on the truck motor? Both engines are $200.00

360 they make torque !!!
318 will run fine and will go ok !
But at the end of the day torque is king !!!
360 !!!

This is a toss up.
The 318 would be definitely easier to put in, but the 360 is a good choice too.
I would buy the engine that's in the best condition.

You do not need a flexplate for the 360 unless you change the torque converter, the weights will be on the original torque converter. The 727 should be the same unless it is the short, very noticeably, 4x4 trans.

318 plusses: Probably a steel crank. short stroke, winds higher all things being equal; internally balanced; common motor mounts.

360 plusses: more torque, lower RPM all things being equal; better flowing heads; hardened exhaust seats, more prone to cracks.

Your choice. Can you hear them run? At the end of the day, what is your intended use? Remember Horse Power is King, torque is just part of the equation.

318 has been sitting covered up under a shop bench for 5 years or more the 360, is still in a running truck. The 360 will be replaced by a Cummins. I have heard the 360 run and it sounds great and doesn't smoke or tick, but has very high miles supposedly...

Hard to call, a good running motor that you can hear is very tempting. Plus it has a four barrel carb and intake... Grab the 90 degree filter adapter, some headers require it. More flow is better than compression. I personally like the 318 but the 360 sounds like a sure thing. Still your money, your call.

Thanks everyone, I will hopefully get time for the car this next week and see what I can get done and see if I can get the engine situation sorted out. maybe get the k member out of the donor car and rear end if we can agree on a price maybe it has a sure grip.. If the car has a 727 instead of a 904 any chance it will have a sure grip?

I would say 360. If in a few years you have the time and money for a rebuild, you'll be wishing you picked up the 360.

360! Lots a more TorQue........Bigger :D at the end of the day.

One way to get an idea on the general shape of a running engine is to drive it and check oil pressure when it is up to operating temperature at idle. You cannot guess on the sure grip, lift both wheels and rotate one. If the other rotates in the same direction, you have a sure grip. If it rotates in the opposite direction, not.

Hard to call? Yall are brain damaged. 360 all the way. First off, that 318 AINT got no 9.2 compression. It might be 8.5 at best. So throw the compression thing off the table. Even if there was one point compression difference, the 360 would trump the 318 all to pieces.

Hard to call? Yall are brain damaged. 360 all the way. .

http://i56.tinypic.com/wrjjol.jpg

Besides, didn't he say the 360 also came with a 727? That solves THAT little problem, except for driveshaft yoke, driveshaft length, and maybe kickdown linkage. If your car has a console shifter, the 727 needs to have the holes under the trans for the bottom bracket.

Regardless of engine, you'll need proper manifolds to fit your car. The truck manifolds won't.

Buy them both!

Put the teen in and drive while you build the 360. :D

Actually, not a bad idea!!! I bought a used 318 off CL for 200 bucks, and I'd bet the old girl didn't have 20K on the clock. I put my little cam, and TBI on there and ran it all last summer.

360 with a 4bbl would be more appetizing to me. Both mildly built with the same components, the 360 wins. However, if its gas mileage you want, then go with the 318. Both motors can be built to be fast, it's just easier with more cubes. Also, those heads on the 318 will not like unleaded fuel for very long. It isn't hard to drop either motor in a duster, done it lots of times. From what you said, I would be buying the 360.

You stated the 318's been sitting under a bench for 5 years or so; does it still turn over, or is it stuck?? If it's stuck, that could raise the cost of entry.......if it's stuck, see if the seller will take less. Then rebuild it into a 400hp 318....................

Good luck

that truck trans might be longer in length, I'd measure from the bell to end of tail shaft, what kind of doner car are you getting the k-frame from I'd also grab the torsion bars and if it happens to have disc brakes I'd grab them too

Hard to call? Yall are brain damaged. 360 all the way. First off, that 318 AINT got no 9.2 compression. It might be 8.5 at best. So throw the compression thing off the table. Even if there was one point compression difference, the 360 would trump the 318 all to pieces.

Well now that i have more information, i agree with you that the 360 would be the better choice because it's running now and the O.P. has determined that it doesn't smoke or make noises.
The 318 is a crapshoot because it's been sitting for so long.

-
Back