'68 383 Barracuda

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
New to me car- now that weather is getting dry (and hot) around here I've had car out and I'm finding I give it a decent rev up at a stop and ease out clutch and feel like I'm gonna almost bark the tires a bit and take off but it starts to go and then boom - cuts/stalls out..could I be just not goosing it enough/ being too cautious? If I take off with less 'authority' it goes just fine. operator error here? Just askin. I know I'm used to driving smaller sports cars with whole different feel for clutch, etc... Has a 600 cfm double pumper..,EI, moderately upgraded cam,.engine running smooth..

PS - yes I know how f'n lame this sounds but I'm throwing this out here anyway...just frustrated maybe.. seemed to run better earlier in cooler weather and now - whatever..arrgh

Put wooden clothes pins on the fuel line to the carb and see if it changes. That is a hillbilly fix for pulling heat from the fuel line.

Just guessing... sounds like it's not getting enough gas at higher revs. Once you let off of it does it start to run again... smoothly? Knowing it's a big block that carb is on the smallish side. I have a 750 double pumper on my small block 360 but it has a good sized cam, Eddy heads with CNC work done to them and doesn't run overly rich. I'm guessing your 600 works fine until you get on it.
Once you get it up in high gear and just nail it to the floor does it stall?

Just guessing... sounds like it's not getting enough gas at higher revs. Once you let off of it does it start to run again... smoothly? Knowing it's a big block that carb is on the smallish side. I have a 750 double pumper on my small block 360 but it has a good sized cam, Eddy heads with CNC work done to them and doesn't run overly rich. I'm guessing your 600 works fine until you get on it.
Once you get it up in high gear and just nail it to the floor does it stall?
yes - if I'm carefull to let off right away it keeps alive.. runs ok. Once up to speed I can do whatever and it behaves. really is good otherwise. it's almost like a hesitation/cough that's just enough to stall her out...I'll have give it some tryouts monday when it's dry again here...appreciate both you guys' comments. have to get this squared away.. Clothespins, really? don't think I won't try it...

New to me car- now that weather is getting dry (and hot) around here I've had car out and I'm finding I give it a decent rev up at a stop and ease out clutch and feel like I'm gonna almost bark the tires a bit and take off but it starts to go and then boom - cuts/stalls out..could I be just not goosing it enough/ being too cautious? If I take off with less 'authority' it goes just fine. operator error here? Just askin. I know I'm used to driving smaller sports cars with whole different feel for clutch, etc... Has a 600 cfm double pumper..,EI, moderately upgraded cam,.engine running smooth..
replaced the fuel filter lately?

The 600 is small but should be very responsive! Pop the cleaner and hit each pump with your
finger/thumb and look for a good steady stream of fuel from each front and rear respective nozzles!

great call on the gas filter....put in a replacement cartridge for the inline glass filter on there which didn't look so awfully bad but in fact had a fair amount of crud - what a difference - took a quick slow cruise around neighborhood - it jumps out w/o hesitation. impressive. thanks for all suggestions. longer test drive drive tonite hopefully..

Power valve is probably wrong for your application in addition to possibly floats too low and/or accelerator pump issues and/or vacuum advance not set properly.

great call on the gas filter....put in a replacement cartridge for the inline glass filter on there which didn't look so awfully bad but in fact had a fair amount of crud - what a difference - took a quick slow cruise around neighborhood - it jumps out w/o hesitation. impressive. thanks for all suggestions. longer test drive drive tonite hopefully..
Glad we could help

Great news, had the exact same problem on my A56 a few years ago thats why I threw it out there, glad it worked for you also

Just my opinion again but I'd ditch that "glass housing" for a sealed metal one. If that breaks.............well you've seen the videos with under hood fires I'm sure.

-
Back