68 Barracuda 4 speed carpet install

-

CudaLou

67 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have an ACC carpet 4 speed piece that wraps around the console. My problem is when I wrap the carpet around the hump there’s an open gap. Has anyone installed one of these lately? Any tips?
3DE89CB5-647D-4E66-8452-E51F80EF61AD.jpeg

I have the hump, but as you can see the hump added in place would exaggerate the problem. This is a pic of the ACC carpet that’s supposed to be correct for 4 speeds.

Have never seen a carpet strip for 4-sp console, only floor carpet for 4-sp. The "hump" is carpeted separately. If you have a console carpet strip it is most likely for an automatic. I would think that you could "notch out" that strip for the hump and carpet the hump separately.

This is perplexing, Never had a stick "A".

@4spdragtop can you elaborate? on the Fiberglass cover?

Seems if you cut the carpet section to raise up it will not sit on the floor correctly!

I have looked at different carpet sites and they all say the auto and 4 speed console carpet piece is the same. I also find it hard to believe. Carpeting the hump and then wrapping another piece of carpet around the console doesn’t make sense to me. Does anyone have pics of their console 4 speed carpeted correctly?

Heres my 69 4spd console. I bought the car in 92 and it had this carpet on it. Unable to pull it out completely, sorry.
The hump is carpeted together with the side of the console. Not sure if the seam is at front of console? I may be able to get better pics tomorrow.
Have never seen a carpet strip for 4-sp console, only floor carpet for 4-sp. The "hump" is carpeted separately. If you have a console carpet strip it is most likely for an automatic. I would think that you could "notch out" that strip for the hump and carpet the hump separately.

This is perplexing, Never had a stick "A".

@4spdragtop can you elaborate? on the Fiberglass cover?

Seems if you cut the carpet section to raise up it will not sit on the floor correctly!

20211206_202536.jpg

20211206_202631.jpg

Heres my 69 4spd console. I bought the car in 92 and it had this carpet on it. Unable to pull it out completely, sorry.
The hump is carpeted together with the side of the console. Not sure if the seam is at front of console? I may be able to get better pics tomorrow.

View attachment 1715832069

View attachment 1715832070

So it is a separate carpet faced Piece that attached to the console?

Last edited:
I have a 4 speed no console, my understanding was the carpet is the same, 4 speed with console or without.
Part of the carpet on the hump sticks out the side of the console, aka the console doesn't completely cover the hump.
I'm guessing the pictures with the carpet hump attached to the console are were it was cut out with the console for whatever reason.

Heres some better pics. Not sure if this is factory carpet or not. It is all one piece with seam at front of console. Its actually glued to hump cover. Looks like it's missing part of the hump also??

20211207_144616.jpg

20211207_144642.jpg

20211207_144655.jpg

20211207_144713.jpg

Learn something everyday, so without the cover the shifter shows. The hole in the floor must be offset more than I thought.

Heres some better pics. Not sure if this is factory carpet or not. It is all one piece with seam at front of console. Its actually glued to hump cover. Looks like it's missing part of the hump also??

Excellent pictures thank you, it is my understanding that some pre-70 4 speed bumps were only half as shown in your pics. That's my hand in Lou's picture, I'm the one trying to figure this out on his car. I have always been under the impression that it was 1 piece not carpeted separately but I can't say when I've seen a factory carpet console last and when I did frankly, I wasn't paying that close of attention to it.

4spdragtop, I'm currently talking/communicating with the "design engineer" for ACC and have sent him a bunch of pictures, I'd like to send him these as well with the story if that's ok with you.

Last edited:
I wonder if the carpeted separately was in later years or a result of 4 speed specific carpet not being available and people making due back in the day? I could make it work if necessary, we have extra carpet left over from recarpeting the back seat.

By all means if I can help in any way I'm glad to. In the 1st pic, take a look at the "edging" to the right of the hump. It is "bound/edged"(if that's proper term).
It wasnt a hack job, but who knows if original or aftermarket?
Also, look at curved part of carpet where it "appears" hump is "missing". That piece of carpet appears to have some type of "moulding/spray" to try and help keep the hump formed.

I wonder if the carpeted separately was in later years or a result of 4 speed specific carpet not being available and people making due back in the day? I could make it work if necessary, we have extra carpet left over from recarpeting the back seat.

It wasnt a hack job, but who knows if original or aftermarket?

Thank you, I'd bet yours is original, just the way the edges are hemmed and the bulge is hard formed even with the half hump says quality and VERY few aftermarket companies would go to that trouble back in the day.

I found these pictures in my GTS reference file, I think it clearly shows the carpet as one piece as well. It also shows the half bulge like 4spdragtop's.

side cover9.jpg

side cover10.jpg

I found these pictures in my GTS reference file, I think it clearly shows the carpet as one piece as well. It also shows the half bulge like 4spdragtop's.

View attachment 1715832698

View attachment 1715832699

Thise first two pictures I took of a fellow club member’s 69 Dart GT conv 273 4spd, A/C

low mileage car. I think original paint. No rust. Same way in garage 15+ years later.

I posted them here and on Moparts years ago. But I couldn’t find them in google.

The carpet strip forward of the hump is one piece with the hump. The strip rear of the hump is separate.

A Body 4 Speed Console Carpet - Moparts Forums

Last edited:
After a little back and forth, ACC decided they don't have anything for the 4 speed console or the hump and they aren't interested in making anything. Their final reply was "we don't have anything, contact your vendor for a refund."

So ACC has zero interest in making them properly lol. Sorry to read
After a little back and forth, ACC decided they don't have anything for the 4 speed console or the hump and they aren't interested in making anything. Their final reply was "we don't have anything, contact your vendor for a refund."

-
Back