'68 Barracuda convertible wins the Willow Springs Track Day Drags.

-

jbc426

Reaction score
Thought some of you may be surprised to hear a '68 Barracuda convertible with a 410hp EFI'd 408" 5.9 Magnum, 200R4, 3.91's and slapper bars took 1st place out of an 18 car field including a final round win against a 6 speed Hellcat.

Sure surprised a lot of folks including myself. It was close at the end of the strip, but I had him by a nose at the line and won the $180 pot. Bob Tarrozi was on-hand, and signed the underside of my hood too.

It pulled down 18 mpg at 80 mph on the trip home. A-Bodies rule!

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

Last edited:
BAD AZZ!
Congrats, JBC! That is one cool Barracuda.

What are you running for tires?

In a 'drop top ' !!
I guess that dispels the myth on drop tops not being able to
cut corners :)
Nicely Done Sir !!

Good Deal. Congrats on your win. BUT I dont think the Hellcat driver knew what he was doing. JMO. Not trying to take away what you accomplished. My HellCat has 707 HP! with traction control, Very tough to beat in any kind of race, again JMO.

Oooooooooo

Tim just called you out!

Oooooooooo

Good Deal. Congrats on your win. BUT I dont think the Hellcat driver knew what he was doing. JMO. Not trying to take away what you accomplished. My HellCat has 707 HP! with traction control, Very tough to beat in any kind of race, again JMO.

I believe it was about the driver, but who knows for sure. They are said to run 11.2's with a competent driver, and even lower with some tweaking. 707hp with traction control? Cool, that's almost as much as my '70 'Cuda's normally aspirated 715hp at 5500rpm.

This round was won with too small of a cam, and while my second gear band was going away. Hughes is sending me a bit bigger cam for my combo which should up the hp from about 410hp to 510hp, and the trans is going out to get refreshed as something went wrong with the apply drum rod.

I hope to see you out at Willow Springs next year for a grudge match. It might even be a bit tougher for those Hellcats next year.

not me.jpg

Nevada shot.jpg

Last edited:
Jbc426 did you find the track very slippery for drags?

I did that last year and my car was all over the place. Was it a little surprising to you last year?

That 6-speed manual Hellcat ran a 12.928 in at the Vegas mopar show. All the advancing, winning, and consistent cars were automatics.

SRT Hellcats Invade Vegas For Drag Showdown

Cool article. It shows him running a best of 12.48 in the 1/4. That makes sense. The track was slippery for everyone, and required careful throttle work. DennisH loved the chance to test his torque steering prowess while doing some prodigious burnouts. It was all in good fun.

-
Back