68 barracuda factory paint...

-

roylira

Reaction score
i got the car with the factory paint on it and its ready for a new coat. cause of rust and sun and rain and gas damage. this is my first project on my own and i was wondering wat to do to get it ready. i got a sander but i dont know what "grit" of paper to use if thats how to say it. of should i use that jasco stuff. or just have a shop sand blast it. i did get a recomendation froma neighbor about a shop called american stripping co. let me know what to do mopar world

Blasting is best if you can afford it. Nothing is better then starting with clean blasted metal. Or start sanding. I start with 80 grit on my D/A

yea, that american stripping company in sacramento has a pretty good rep. I was gonna take my car there..

I started working on my Charger which is a rust bucket so this has been good practice. Already I've learned to very pressure and be careful about your angles. Held at an angle, the sander can "cut" where you want to sand with little pressure. I've made lot's of mistakes. My 68 Barracuda needs no body work but I want to do some light sanding. I am going to start with a lighter grit and see how that works. If I am concerned about the grit, I start sanding by hand, the old fashioned way, until I am comfortable with what the grit is doing. If you haven't sanded before, find an inconspicuous place to start like in the trunk and see how it goes. There is nothing like doing it yourself.

a 3" or 4" Twisted Wire Cup Brush on angle grinder strips paint very nicely, 5.99 at Harbor Freight or the $15 Dewalt version at Lowes. Stripped my engine compartment
with 2 3" ones pretty fast.

-
Back