68 barracuda grille surround stud repair

-

fasbak

Reaction score
Wonderin' if someone out there knows of anyone who can correctly repair/replace mounting studs on 67-68 barracuda grille surrounds or has successfully done it yourself. this doesn't appear easy without doing some damage.

I repaired mine. They was in BAD shape. Rusted to the grill frame. I had to cut them off with a Dremel tool so the grill would come out. I've got some pics around here somewhere showing the hardware I used to fix and install back in the car. Give a little bit to find it. Pop rivets are your friend.

Attachments

• DSC01771.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Grill.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 489
I have a friend that does this, and has made the special tooling to do them. He restores the whole sets of grilles, and did mine. The bolts he puts back into them are the correct ones.

The archived thread posted above includes the alternate fasteners I've used a couple of times also. Happy moparing

I have a friend that does this, and has made the special tooling to do them. He restores the whole sets of grilles, and did mine. The bolts he puts back into them are the correct ones.
whats the guys email address? or, send him mine!--------:coffee2: I`ve got a 68 and need grills for it rlmccartys512@att,net

You guys have been given incorrect info. The studs on Cuda Surrounds are not rounded. They have a carriage bolt base, which is square. This prevents the stud from rotating, once installed.

There are MANY so called experts here on FABO and they all mean well, but they think that because they used a particular system, that everybody else should. This is not the case.

The photo shows the incorrect rivet also. The short rivets are used. If these rivets are used, you must trim the excess or your Surrounds, Headlight bezels will not install correctly. The excess rivet blocks the bolt from going on.

PartsMonsta makes custom bolts for all his resto Cuda Grilles and uses the shorter Rivets when the Grilles/Bezels are assembled.

You should just send him your core Grilles/Bezels and be done with it. This Guy saved me tons or frustration and time. The stuf turned out AWESOME.

old thread - and actually the correct rivets are semi-tubular 1/8x 7/32 and 9/32 and are squeezed and or pressed. From the pictures I've seen he does not do them this way. They appear to be "pop" rivets. I do use squeeze rivets though.
Correct on the stud though albeit a weak design, as I suppose they were never intended to be restored. But 5/8 and 3/4 t-bolt or molding bolts do work great w/modifications and give some adjustment over the weak press/peen carriage bolts.

You guys have been given incorrect info. The studs on Cuda Surrounds are not rounded. They have a carriage bolt base, which is square. This prevents the stud from rotating, once installed.

There are MANY so called experts here on FABO and they all mean well, but they think that because they used a particular system, that everybody else should. This is not the case.

The photo shows the incorrect rivet also. The short rivets are used. If these rivets are used, you must trim the excess or your Surrounds, Headlight bezels will not install correctly. The excess rivet blocks the bolt from going on.

PartsMonsta makes custom bolts for all his resto Cuda Grilles and uses the shorter Rivets when the Grilles/Bezels are assembled.

You should just send him your core Grilles/Bezels and be done with it. This Guy saved me tons or frustration and time. The stuf turned out AWESOME.

Why bring up this thread to say negative stuff about a do it yourself process and then give promotion to partsmonsta?

Could you explain your relationship with PartsMonsta?

Because your location listed in FABO is only 26 miles away from each other and you tend to buy and sell grille and trim parts. You have advertised a fully restored grille surround using the SAME EXACT as Partsmonsta's: very unique font and layout to your ads, same exact price, and the same exact same pictures

Here's your ad for sale: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970525518#post1970525518

Here's Partsmonta's ad for sale: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=290087

You said in your for sale ad,
Customer left these at our resto shop 2 years ago. His loss, your gain...big time!
Stored in boxes, just recently unearthed. No scratches or fading...about as Show Perfect as you're gonna find.

BUT the picture is 100% the same as in Partsmonsta’s add.

OtownMissile's picture:

attachment.php

partsmonsta's picture:

attachment.php

Seems you are looking to justify paying you, paying your buddy, or you buying $1300+ for restored surrounds and headlight bezels by badmouthing people willing to learn how to work on their own cars. Their end result might not be as good at those restored parts, but maybe that fits their budget and/or allows money to be spent restoring other parts of the car.

AND THEN YOU JUST brought up another old post passive aggressively promoting partsmonsta's work while passive aggressively badmouthing Leanna powdercoating work.

You wrote HERE,

Drix; I heard that PartsMonsta did your Grilles for you. Was everything good?

I sent mine out last month and got them back in 2 weeks, couldnt believe the turnaround time.

I am sending him my 68 hood moldings for OEM repaint and also my rear trim panel pieces. He has just started doing the rear molding pieces. Cant wait to see them. Hard parts to resto, from what I hear.

I need brackets for the rear trim panel pieces, would u happen to have any. PartsMonsta had 4 pieces (he redid the studs) that he gave me, but I need the rest, especially the end pieces.

I was getting ready to send everything out to this PowderCoating Chick, but he informed me that the trim would be powdercoated a fake Chrome paint, which turned me off. I wonder if these Guys know what they're getting themselves into. Once that stuf is powdercoated, you can forget getting it polished.

Thanks.

I don't understand? :dontknow: Partsmonsta and/or OtownMissile sells restored trim and grilles that look very good and customers are happy. The parts and real customers speak for themselves.

Why throw stones at others?

Why sell under two different alias' or people?

Just noticed OtownMissile logged off of FABO. Then checked and partsmonsta is logged onto FABO.

Really? :-k

Now OtownMissile is logged onto FABO. And partsmonsta is logged off FABO

???

-
Back