68 Barracuda Hood Safety Latch Spring

-

raddad52

Reaction score
Hello, after owning a 1968 Barracuda fastback since 1974, I have retired and am ready to start getting it back into daily driver status. I drove this car back and for between Los Angeles and El Paso my last year in the service. I have several questions but this thread is re: the Hood Safety Latch.

The spring broke. I drilled and removed the rivet that holds the spring. Does anyone know where to get another spring. I really prefer to do as much as I can myself as I am pretty much an old school guy. I have seen listings for Bronco repair kits but wonder if Mopar sells one. I cannot find one. Pictures attached.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

PXL_20220710_153757364.jpg

PXL_20220710_153807707.jpg

PXL_20220710_153815048.jpg

PXL_20220710_153826829.jpg

I may have a spare hood latch if interested. I've never heard of a kit, but I bet it can be Macgyvered.

Never heard of a spring being sold separate.

Look around at past sales of 67-69 Barracuda hood latches. Shouldn't be too expensive. There may be other cars that share the same latch.

Welcome from Simi Valley. I'm part of the San Fernando Valley based Mopar club that puts on the Spring and Fall Flings. www.cpwclub.com Not sure if you've been to one of our Show & Swaps at Woodley Park in Van Nuys, but its the best place to find Mopar parts in the western US.

Last edited:
Are 67-69 Barracuda hood latches the same as 67-69 valiant?

Thinking they may be same since both have header panels in front of hood edge.

67-69 dart are different. I just went to garage and checked (Dart 4” tall vs Barracuda 5”)

here’s my 68 Barracuda

A9AE7F6D-5DAD-473C-B819-591BA1A1DD56.jpeg

8D743C28-D655-4143-8393-8AF3B92EA1DB.jpeg

You could use any Mopar latch spring from any donor latch of that era. Problem is the rivet/pin.

You might be able to reuse your old rivet/pin if you remove it by grinding the edge flush with the latch. Then punching it out. Then drill a shallow hole in the grounded off end. Reinstall and stake out ground end with hole with center punch. **Caution. That is just an idea, I have never done that personally.

OR, just put a bolt and nylon lock nut on it.

Last edited:
Never heard of a spring being sold separate.

Look around at past sales of 67-69 Barracuda hood latches. Shouldn't be too expensive. Are these the same as on other cars.

Welcome from Simi Valley. I'm part of the San Fernando Valley based Mopar club that puts on the Spring and Fall Flings. www.cpwclub.com Not sure if you've been to one of our Show & Swaps at Woodley Park in Van Nuys, but its the best place to find Mopar parts in the western US.

Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes sir I have been to the shows in the past. Mostly I have bought T-Shirts. Whomever designs them does a great job. I think I have 6 or 8 of them.

Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes sir I have been to the shows in the past. Mostly I have bought T-Shirts. Whomever designs them does a great job. I think I have 6 or 8 of them.

No problem.

Thank you for the comment on T-shirts.

Our club has monthly meeting in the SFV and it's a great place to network for Mopar resources and help. For more info about the club, email me at info@cpwclub.com

I've got a few safety latches here in Fresno, but most of my parts are stuffed into corners and hard to find, but I'll be out there later today. I can compare to my Barracuda. I think most of mine are from Darts.

Hello from Burbank, I recently picked up a 69 Barracuda. Can't help with the spring issue but if you ever needed a second set of hands happy to help when I can. Also been thinking of hitting up Bob's Big Boy in Burbank on a Friday night if you're interested.

-
Back