68 Barracuda Trim Fasteners

-

stormin

Reaction score
I am still trying to find a source for the plastic pieces that hold the trim on the Barracuda just above the rocker panel. The trim snaps onto the plastic pieces and the plastic piece is installed in a small hole. I have attached a picture trying to get a source for these clips.

Dscn7037.jpg

Dscn7040.jpg

Can you take a pic of the trim piece you're referring to?

Sure thing! This trim is just below the door on the rocker panel. It runs form the rear of the front wheel opening to the fish gill next to the rear wheel opening. Here are the pictures of the trim. It is already off the car and I took some of the front and back of the trim.

Dscn7051.jpg

Dscn7056.jpg

Dscn7058.jpg

Dscn7060.jpg

68.jpg

Stormin, you might have some luck contacting the following ebay seller: altha1

Here's the URL to their eBay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Florida-Auto-Fastener

I was looking for fasteners for the upper & lower decklid mouldings of my '67 cuda and I finally found them there.

Hope they got what you're looking for. Oh and by the way....that's one sweeeeet '68 you got there. :thumleft:

I recently went though the same thing with my rocker panel "spears". Searched high and low, but could not find the factory clips. Others had said that E body decklid clips would work and I tried some of those but they were slightly too narrow to hold tight to the inner lip of the spear. Eventually I tried some 7/8 inch wide (from memory that is the width of the inner lips of the spears) wire clips sourced from MrG's fasteners. They were a tight fit and I had to use circlip plyers to prise the edges of the spears open enough to slide the clips in, but once in it was a perfect fit. And better than the original vinyl clips in my view, very snug and tight. If you;re interested let me know I'll hunt down the specifics of the clips I used.

Thanks for the all of the replies and ideas. Looks like Mr. Gs might have something that will work, just need to do some measurements. Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out.

I recently went though the same thing with my rocker panel "spears". Searched high and low, but could not find the factory clips. Others had said that E body decklid clips would work and I tried some of those but they were slightly too narrow to hold tight to the inner lip of the spear. Eventually I tried some 7/8 inch wide (from memory that is the width of the inner lips of the spears) wire clips sourced from MrG's fasteners. They were a tight fit and I had to use circlip plyers to prise the edges of the spears open enough to slide the clips in, but once in it was a perfect fit. And better than the original vinyl clips in my view, very snug and tight. If you;re interested let me know I'll hunt down the specifics of the clips I used.

Sydcuda, it looks like Mr. G's part number FA312 is real close to the original. It is on page 32 of the moulding clips (plastic type) part 1. At the beginning of that same section on page 28 is the decklid moulding clips, FA4188.

FA312 looks slightly larger and FA4188 looks slightly smaller which would give you the loose fit that had spoke about.

When you have time could you look up what you eventually used to get your spears back in place?

Did you replace the fish gill fasteners too?

Aloha
Randy

The clip I used is FA2494 on page 45. It will work slid into the spear on the 7/8 inch side of the clip. It's a tight fit as the lips of the spear are 7/8 as well but with massaging it's ultimately a good fix. I remember scouring that catalogue many times over trying to find something that would fit, dont recall the FA312 nylon clip although I would have looked at it at the time - it may work as well. However the wire clip may be a safer bet. The E body decklid clips recommended by others (including RT Specialties, who dont have the OEM clips) are a total waste of time. As for the gills I just used some generic nylon screw grommets obtained from a local auto parts store. Replaced the old factory screws with an equivalent from the hardware store - no problem at all. MrG's have various of these grommets on page 24 and on. I'd imagine you could pick some up from a parts store over there pretty easy.

PS. I'd defy anyone to find new OEM clips - I tried everywhere.

SydCuda, thanks for the info. I will give Mr.Gs a call tomorrow and get some of the FA2494 sent along with some of the FA312s. I think it will work out afterall. I will try to salvage the inserts for the gills and it should not be that hard to find somethiing at the local stores for them. Thanks again.

I got a package from Mr. Gs today and I think the FA4188 clips will work. They are not as tight as the orignal but they are not going to let the trim fall off. I did get some of the FA2494 just in case I am not satisfied once I put the trim on with the FA4188 clips.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Mahalo
Randy

The E Body rear trim clip works. A little wider but that does not effect anything

75CEE386-FD51-46C4-9C22-FE4AA08B4294.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back