68 Cuda dash pad , Where to get ?

-

DonnieLawson

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I need to get my dash ready while the car is being done .
My top dash pad has a split on each end .
Who makes a good new one , or can redo mine .
Dam , I need a higher paying job ........................
Donnie

The 68 pads are one year only. The aftermarket has recently repopped the 69 up pads. I dont know if they will do the 68 due to limited demand.
A company called Just Dashes can restore yours but it wil cost 300 to 500 ( so I'm told ).
I've always said that if I paid that much to have my dashcap restored I would put one of those hard shell covers over it to protect my investment. That's another 100 at Year One. Afterwards I would slap myself for not going straight to the cover and leaving the restore money in the bank ( as if I had that kind of money in the bank LOL ).
Vendors will state that the hard covers are molded in black and cannot be dyed but they can be dyed any color you want. Proper prep is the key. Then dye it a neutral shade such as beige, followed with your desired shade of blue, maroon, whatever.
Hope this helps.

Just got off the phone with Just Dashes.....
WOW !!!!!!!!!! $800 for the 3 dash pieces , $450 for the just the top + about $100 shipping

B/E and A has the 68 pad in works.. I have my name and credit card number on the waiting list. Should be "any day".

Yeah, they work with B/E & A. Share the same parts. I originally had my pad ordered with them (around December when it came out on their website). They still haven't gotten the pads either. They were real hard to get a straight answer out of. Let me know if you get any sort of answer other than "soon" out of them.

My understanding is that this new pad is coming from China (like most repo parts are doing anyways). There is some sort of delay with delivery. Wish we could find out more.

i just bought tail light bezels from Mike at BE&A, seems like a great guy. i was very happy with my bezels!!

Im getting ready to order , they said about 2-3 weeks out for the shipment to arrive , I need some more stuff also .
They said that they will not be at the Nats for pick up ............., Guess Ill see if BEA will be at the Nats . I'll get it from them if so
Donnie

Im getting ready to order , they said about 2-3 weeks out for the shipment to arrive , I need some more stuff also .
They said that they will not be at the Nats for pick up ............., Guess Ill see if BEA will be at the Nats . I'll get it from them if so
Donnie

I'm almost sure BEA will be out at NATS. But call Mike at BEA and ask what HE personally thinks the real delivery dates will be.

PG Classics/MoparPlus has been saying 3-4 weeks for the last year.

I bought a cap for mine in 2004, not sure if they are still making them. But it is pretty nice and was less than $100.

Got my 68 A-body pad today!!!!!!!!! I got one of the first runs of the pad. I will be posting a review of it sometime soon. I've got the wife helping me click off a few pictures. From what I can tell so far, the only "issue" that someone may have with the pad is that the vinyl they use does not have the same pattern as the original pad. Since my car isn't a concours car, I'm not worried at all about that. Once I get the pad dyed to match the lowers (going to do all of them at the same time), it ought to blend in well. Give me a little bit of time and I'll get some photos up of it sitting in place on my dash!

Rob Robinson

Ok guys, here are some initial photos of the first release 68 A-body pad that is now being reproduced. Please note that I did not bolt the pad down, just sat it in place for the photos. It looks like it is going to match up pretty well to where the old pad went. Few things I noticed:

1. Corners are not as sharp
2. Vinyl is not the correct grain
3. To elimiate any possible alignment issues, spacers are included to go on the screws that hold on the corners

What is good, obviously new vinyl -soft, dyeable (we will see), and much more affordable than Just Dashes $400+ rebuild (with the 4-6 month wait time).

repodashpad1.jpg

repodashpad2.jpg

repodashpad3.jpg

repodashpad4.jpg

repodashpad5.jpg

Had seen some out there in black (Year One I think) and they state it isn't dyeable. Let us know how yours goes.

Ok guys, here are some initial photos of the first release 68 A-body pad that is now being reproduced. Please note that I did not bolt the pad down, just sat it in place for the photos. It looks like it is going to match up pretty well to where the old pad went. Few things I noticed:

3. To elimiate any possible alignment issues, spacers are included to go on the screws that hold on the corners

What is good, obviously new vinyl -soft, dyeable (we will see), and much more affordable than Just Dashes $400+ rebuild (with the 4-6 month wait time).

Going foward, I think for $225 for a new real dash pad is a better deal than a cover for $100. It will definitly last longer and take more weather abuse. And the grain on the dash covers are not correct either.

Got mine today !!
looks sweet , I will post some pics after I mow the yard.
Very well packaged , quality looking piece , It is made in China though...........
Donnie

I have all new Legendary interior , carpet , headliner , headrest.
I got the console looking ok for a driver , I really need to have my dash panel re-chromed now .
It wont be long , the car will be going to the shop for paint :)

resized0014.jpg

My Cuda teardown for paint and new parts 014.jpg

resized0002.jpg

resized0004.jpg

resized0006.jpg

resized0009.jpg

resized0008.jpg

resized0022.jpg

rob_robinson87............... your dash is awesome , who did it for you ?

I wasn't sure if you were talking about the pad or the actual cluster insert. The dash is the B,E, &A REstorations upper pad that has just started to be reproduced. Got one of the first ones to be released. Once I get it dyed, it ought to really be sharp. I keep everyone posted on that.

As for the cluster, I had http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/ do it for me. My original dash is put away and in just a good shape. I had a 67 dash that someone had cut the radio out of, so I went ahead and modified it for the Vintage Air controls, the vent where the slider would be, and carefully cleaned up the radio opening before sending it to them for plating. Yeah, it wasn't cheap, but was very happy with the results. I also figured out how to make a pretty stock looking tach, but I won't share my secret until I know it works (that will be a while).

I am going to use a Sony Marine radio CDX M60UI in the dash to get the silver face and white display. It has the same features that the regular version but to me will look better in the dash. I did have to drill the hole for the lighter. Pretty slick huh?

Rob Robinson ........................

I was talking about your instrument cluster , I need to have mine redone now that I'm working on that part of the project . My instrument cluster is perfect except for the chrome on it .
I got a dash pad from PG Classic as you can see in the above pics , and I think its a good deal..........
Donnie

-
Back