68 Cuda grill studs............ Any tips ?

-
I just happen to be going through this right now. Great thread. I had to cut almost all the bolts to get the grill trim off.

I called Mr. G's today to order the FA 2573 trim clips/studs that Redfish used. However, the guy at Mr. G's said that they are no longer available, and he suggested the FA 4411. It is a little more "rounded" at the back, and would take more grinding to flatten, so I decided I would just go with the bolts/speed clips method since I would have to grind the bolt heads anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread, I was wondering how I was going to mount my grill trim.

That trim stud may be out of stock at Mr. Gs but someone will have it.
It's a very common fastener. Local body shop supplier will have then or know where to get them.

I got my pop rivets and the tool from Lowe's, I haven't decided how I'm gonna do the studs yet.
Actually I haven't had time to mess with it. I parted a 67 Cuda out and messing with my 68.
I hope it will be soon.
Keep us updated with pics , I will post more pics when I start on mine again
Donnie

That trim stud may be out of stock at Mr. Gs but someone will have it.
It's a very common fastener. Local body shop supplier will have then or know where to get them.
red fish do you happen to remember the lenght/size of the pop rivets you used for the grill repair? I need to fix couple studs for my 68' thanks

Sorry but no I don't. Too many years ago. For pop rivets, 1/8" steel easy pull would be a guess since that is what I find on my workbench today. The OEM welded in studs were replaced with generic "T" studs. #10-24 X 1". Cadmium plated. Stainless flat washers and nuts.
My 67 has the same "T" studs in its narrow upper and lower deck lid trim. Your 68 won't have the same example.

thanks. i bought the t studs and 1/8' aluminum pop rivets. it all seemed to work great. thanks
Sorry but no I don't. Too many years ago. For pop rivets, 1/8" steel easy pull would be a guess since that is what I find on my workbench today. The OEM welded in studs were replaced with generic "T" studs. #10-24 X 1". Cadmium plated. Stainless flat washers and nuts.
My 67 has the same "T" studs in its narrow upper and lower deck lid trim. Your 68 won't have the same example.

thanks. i bought the t studs and 1/8' aluminum pop rivets. it all seemed to work great. thanks

Glad it worked out for you. I think I misspoke earlier at 'T' stud length though. I found a few leftovers while seeking something else. These are only 3/4 long. I had only 1 small issue with this hardware in my 67 grilles. The 'T' studs have a little spring wire on them. There was one spot where the end of that wire reached out between 2 mating parts. If my memory serves me right, It was where the right headlight door joined the grille. Did notice it before it caused torn towel or skin and snipped off some of its length. I installed aftermarket 7 inch round headlights and even with new lenses in the park/turn fixtures they still looked goofy to me. So, I bought a 2nd set of the 7 inch round lights and whittled them into small pieces to fit inside the park fixtures. Transplanted the little center pieces too. Intended to share a pic of my grilles here but can't find it on this drive. It's here in a thread somewhere.
For what its worth (conversation at best), my grilles are hybrids. 67 surrounds with OEM park turn fixtures but have the 68 plastic baskets in them. I polished away all of the argent grey paint inside the surrounds. I've always considered that a shortcut/copout by ma mopar. In my opinion they should have been painted body color inside. Then the perimeter of the front grilles would mirror match the rear decklid trim. While I'm happy with how my grilles look today, If I was ever to repaint this car, the inside of the surrounds would get body color red paint.

-
Back