68 Dart Rear Wheels/Tire

-

scatpakman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, this has probably been covered a million times but here goes... I have a 1968 Dart thats mini tubbed and the springs have been moved in. The axel housing is narrowed as well. My ? is how much wheel and tire can I fit under my Dart?

how wide is the housing flange to flange, and what is the back spacing on your rims.
Haven't purchased rims yet. I'm waiting until i have an idea what I can fit underneth. Stock A-Body housing less 5" (2.5") from each side.

Haven't purchased rims yet. I'm waiting until i have an idea what I can fit underneth. Stock A-Body housing less 5" (2.5") from each side.
why not get the old tape measure out, bolt a wheel on, and measure things ?!

I put 325/50-15's under my 68, but i also cut the rear end to fit the wheels. If you don't intend to modify the rear end, you'll have to play the measure/backspacing/shopping for wheels and tires game.

I put 325/50-15's under my 68, but i also cut the rear end to fit the wheels. If you don't intend to modify the rear end, you'll have to play the measure/backspacing/shopping for wheels and tires game.
Sounds like he allready chopped the rear end

Start measuring. Measure from the wheel mounting flange to the closest place a tire might rub on both the inside and outside. That's where you start from. Then, if you post those measurements on here, there will be several guys that can give you a somewhat accurate answer.

Measure as stated earlier and make sure drum or rotor is mounted to axle...

10" rim? How much backspacing?

You ought to be able to run a 285 or even a 295 cross-section tire with no fear of it rubbing anywhere if you have measured in the right places. I would say if you plan on 10" wheels the backspace should be about 5.75", a 9" wheel about 5.25", an 8" wheel around 4.75". Your axle flange is sitting nearly in the center of the wheel well, which is great.

-
Back