68' Dart

-
Haven't made it to the track yet. I did test it a few times on the county road near my house after I first put it together. After a few adjustments of the Cal-Trac's, it hooked up and went straight. When I stripped the car back down getting ready for paint, I noticed one of the lower control arms was not moving real easy. I sanded some of the powder coating off and walla! It's nice and smooth now. If the local track isn't open in the next few weeks, I'll do some testing on the county road again. I just gotta make sure the sheriff is sleeping or eating dounuts miles away at the "local round table". Even though the sign on the side of his truck says "To Serve and Protect", I think he would love to "Serve and Provide" me a butt-load of tickets.

My plans were to make it to the muffler shop and have the front end aligned this past week. That didn't pan out because I came down with the flu. Hopefully I'll get around to it this next week. I did manage to get the hood re-painted.

Attachments

• P1090130.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 344
  • P1090128.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 348
Great looking work, I can see why your restroration business keeps you busy. Please post some videos of it running!

It's an AAR hood. I believe it was around $600+ shipping. No fitment issues. Finish was the best that I've seen in a long time. The bumpers are AAR items as well. The rear bumper comes as a 67' with the indentions for the back-up lights that needed roughed up and filled with FG in order to match the 68'-69' bumper.

Attachments

• P1090131.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 319
  • P1090057.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 328
Loaded up Tuesday to go to the muffler shop. When I got there the car wouldn't start. Murphy's Law. The new MSD box took a dump. Really wanted to hear it with the new Magnaflow's, X-pipe and cutouts before I left. I ordered a new box and installed it Thursday and it fired up and sounds great. Now I might get to re-schedule, re-schedule the front end alignment. I think they're getting a little pissed-off because this is the third time I've had to cancel.

Attachments

• P1090143.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 292
  • P1090144.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 306
  • P1090141.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 309
....I really like where your going with this.

color combo is perfect period correct (in my opinion anyways.......I believe you touched on the value of opinions earlier)

Mopar to ya'
Denny

HemiDenny
Glad you like it. I was probably 14-15 years old the first time a saw a factory lightweight. I went with my grand dad to Lovelady-Grier CPD to get his Imperial worked on. I guess it was one of the owners had just taken delivery of a 65' Cornet. Looking back, I think it was an original A990 car. It was white with red interior. I was hooked! It was the best thing I had ever seen. Next time I saw it he had painted stripes and lettered the car. It was still a nice car but not like before.
I've got a 69' Cuda notchback a customer wants me to build for him. I think I saw somewhere on this site that you make a front system similar to the RMS. Is that right?

I really liked where you went with this car. I like how it's kind of plain besides the hood. I want to remove the GT trim myself. I think I'm going to go with something similar looking except for maybe the hood and the wheels. That and I'm just partial to white. ;)

Absolutely beautiful Dart-where in Texas are you located? A couple of those outside pix remind me of the area around Abilene...I just left there 6 months ago, and grew up in Temple.

I grew up in the Abilene area. Now I live south of Henrietta, TX. Yeah, the scenery here is a mirror image of Abilene. Dry and brown.

You have done a some very nice work on your Dart, with some slight differences, I am heading down some of the same roads with mine.

I grew up in the Abilene area. Now I live south of Henrietta, TX. Yeah, the scenery here is a mirror image of Abilene. Dry and brown.

...just a couple hours away. I worked with tons of folks that couldn't stomach Abilene, but it was a decent place to live basically half my life. Biggest issue I had with Abilene was the allergies.

I guess there's worst places to be from. Growing up in Abilene wasn't too bad I guess. It's where I met two of my exes and developed bad allergies. I left Abilene in 1970. Moved back a few years later and then left for good.
I took the Dart out today for some testing. I don't think the MT Drag radials are gonna work or last. I'll take some tire juice with me the next time and try to get some video.

I made a couple of test runs on the Dart and the MT Drag radials aren't gonna cut it. Up in smoke! Lowered to 10psi and left at 2500 rpm. Still any gas and they broke loose. When the local track opens I'll try them on a prepped concrete surface. I did get the hood stanchions made. Better than laying the hood on the roof.

Attachments

• P1090156.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 211
If you ever get the chance to buy a 1980 Turbo Trans Am Indy pace car, Don't! One of my good customers is a Trans Am nut, just bought one with 11,420 miles on it. Looks good but the turbo is out, the rear main seal leaks like a faucet and the trans slips. The interior has certain panels that have faded, and the drivers door sags. Hope he is happy throwing more $$$$$ at it.

Attachments

• P1090146.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 199
  • P1090145.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 191
It takes all kinds...those poor things left the factory nearly broken from what I remember reading about them...but so were many pieces of GM iron from the last 70s-early 80s. I bet it would be a fun car with a newer drivetrain...like a single turbo'd LS engine...cheap and plentiful, add about 5-8psi, and you're probably looking at over 400rwhp with a stock idle, and capable of 18-20+mpg with an OD transmission.

I'd love to drop an LS w/700r in it. But he has this notion that it'll bring a ton of money some day if its left stock. It might, but he drives the crap out of his cars. Probably more reason to modify it now and keep the stock parts for later.

texstang84,
How's the weather in Hawaii? It's 22 and the wind is blowing 30mph. Their talking 9 tonight with wind chills in the -teens. I bet you miss Texas!

-
Back