68 GTS 383 with PB & PS

-

68VAHCODE

Reaction score
Hello all.....have a 68 GTS with both PS and PB.....did Dodge make these available in 68? Car built on March 27, '68.

Thanks,

greg

My 67 GTS didn't come with PS & PB. My understanding is they couldn't fit it in with the big block. Looking under the hood I can see why. It's really tight.

They both fit fine with a big block, but Chrysler claimed they wouldn't fit on the early big block cars. They became available later, perhaps with the beginning of the '68 model year, but I'm not sure on that.

Also, even AC fits fine, but was never available in a big block A-body. We put a 383 in a factory small block AC equipped 67 Barracuda. I ditched the power brakes, but kept the power steering. It all fit great. I've got pictures on the computer at home.

darts i not sure, but my friends 68 383 barracuda is all original never restored with build sheet. has power drum brakes and power steering

I always thought it was funny how Chrysler engineers said they couldn't fit the big block engines in the A body cars & then Grand Spaulding goes ahead & makes it work & then so many of us have made it work in our own driveways since. Then all hell breaks loose in S/S with the Hemi cars!.. Lol!!

I always thought it was funny how Chrysler engineers said they couldn't fit the big block engines in the A body cars & then Grand Spaulding goes ahead & makes it work & then so many of us have made it work in our own driveways since. Then all hell breaks loose in S/S with the Hemi cars!.. Lol!!

That story has so many holes in it, including the FACT that the 383 Barracuda was released MONTHS ahead of the 67 383 GTS. Mr. Norm (DODGE dealer) proved (actually his people proved it) that the 440 would fit (in 1968, not 1967), BUT not the 383. Chrysler had a 66 Valiant test mule with a 383 before the 67's were released.

Hello all.....have a 68 GTS with both PS and PB.....did Dodge make these available in 68? Car built on March 27, '68.

Thanks,

greg
I owned a 68 GTS back in 76.It had a High Performance 383 Carter 4 bbl.I didn,t have power steering.I just put a 383 in my 72 Dart.Had to remove the power steering and put a manual gear box in.The engine was hitting it.It was a slant six Dart.

If the engine was hitting the steering gear, the engine was in the wrong place... where was it hitting?

If the engine was hitting the steering gear, the engine was in the wrong place... where was it hitting?
It was resting on the gear box.I put a manual gear box in and the engine sat right in place.The manual gear box;was a hole lot smaller.I installed the proper conversion mounts.I have a video of my Dart on U-Tube.1972 dodge dart swinger with 383 4 bbl.

MY GTS 68 Dart.The motor mount on the passenger side was located in the middle of the engine and the motor mount on the drivers side was up front.It fastened to the front of the engine.

Thanks,

greg
Does your K-Frame have differant locations for the motor mounts.My 68 GTS had a motor mount up front on the drivers side.The passenger side was in the middle.This would explain why you have PS because it,s not in the way of a motor mount.My 68 didn,t have PS.Let me know where your mounts are located.

If i would have had a Big Block GTS K-Frame it would have worked better.My slant six k-memeber ; the mount is in the center-close to the gear box.The GTS is all the way up front.

my 67 GTS I bought new had power disc brakes and manuel steering. Like said before drivers side mount had a bolt that came in from the front

If i would have had a Big Block GTS K-Frame it would have worked better.My slant six k-memeber ; the mount is in the center-close to the gear box.The GTS is all the way up front.

It really doesn't matter which k-member you have, what matters is the mounts. Since a slant could come with power steering the mount shouldn't hit (at least that's a theory). All of our big block builds have used home-built Direct Connection k-members which use 74-78 motor mounts. They are tight to the steering gear, but they do fit.

It really doesn't matter which k-member you have, what matters is the mounts. Since a slant could come with power steering the mount shouldn't hit (at least that's a theory). All of our big block builds have used home-built Direct Connection k-members which use 74-78 motor mounts. They are tight to the steering gear, but they do fit.
74 thru 78.Didn,t these mount have a bolt that ran through the mounts? Instead of the nut up through the bottom on each side.I think i know what your talking about.

It doesn't sit any higher. The DC k-member (with relocated spool saddles) with those mounts puts the engine in the stock location (if built properly).

Dodge/Plymouth started installing B Engine-383's into A Body's in '67. '69 brought out the RB Engine-440 into A Body's. Everyone knows when the 426's were installed? And by who? We had one '68 426 Hemi Dart in my hometown, just outside the Motor City. Street Legal, sort of. Hey, it did have a License Plate.

-
Back