68 GTS Big Block Exhaust Manifolds

-

68VAHCODE

Reaction score
Just bought a 68 GTS Big Block. It has , I am told, a set of incorrect exhaust manifolds on it currently. In the market for a factory correct set of exhaust manifolds......here's my question....am told my manifolds are not the factory stock manifolds....may be off a truck.

How critical is it to have to proper factory manifolds? Are there performance issues to be concerned about?

Is this an issue "if it fits then they are Ok or do I need the correct manifolds?

Thanks

How do truck exhaust manis even fit? The originals are a marginal design with a gnarly pinch point around the steering column. I would run the trucks if they fit at all. The A manifolds were supposed to cost 20 hp due to the pinch point and that put the 383 right at 340 levels with the weight handicap.
images

this new Accurate repro is way better...
HPaccuratenew440man.jpg

Thanks and great pictures......I have not been able to find repro 383 manifolds......do you have a source?

Greg

I have Schumacher headers on my 69 383-S and I like them alot. Unless you are dead set on having cast iron manifolds, I think the Schumachers are an excellent choice.

There are basically 4 choices. TTI headers. Schumacher headers, AccurateLtd repro manifolds and the originals. They all flow better than the originals. If you want the car to be numbers correct than go with the original manifolds but the real deal is quite costly assuming they aren't broken or cracked. For the price you could buy a real nice set of headers and improve performance quite a bit. Keep in mind that if you have a BB 4 speed car you will have to make some slight mods for the TTI's to fit and may have to buy the modified z bar. Trust me I know.

Carl

I have a 68 dart Gts v8 upgraded to a 383 big block, it has hooker fenderwalls which i need to change before sending it back to australia. how do the tti,s fit out of the box? I was going to put schumacher engine mounts on it an the tti's as I don't like the shape of the schumachers..... Oh yeah currently a auto

Heres what the 2" TTI for an RB look like. The only issue I had was either the #3 or #5 tube touching the steering box. I used a 1/4" thick shim on each motor mount and cleared the box. Its a tight fit with the #2 tube along the fender, maybe 1/2". Make sure you use a mini starter.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Thank you!! A picture is worth a thousand words.... It's tti s for me then

Where are your motor mounts located.I had a GTS 68 Dart.The K-Frame had one mount up front on the drivers side and the passenger side is in the middle.I have a video on u-tube with a 383 in my 72 dart.My dart was a 225 slant 6.With the manifolds off a GTS dart.IT,s at 1972 dodge dart swinger with 383 4 bbl.A blue dart.

-
Back