Can I use B or C body manifolds fore better flow on my sleeper GTS?

-
Imo, wondering how much power “can be made” while retaining the manifolds is the wrong approach.
On a big cube high CR race combo(for FAST), they’ll support over 600hp.
But that isn’t relative to what most street guys are doing.

The question should be, can I make the power I want with my proposed build while retaining the ex manifolds?

If the expectations and the build plans are on the same page, you should be good.
On the other hand, If you’re trying to make 500hp+ on pump gas with a hyd cam and ex manifolds....... you’re probably going to be disappointed.

I smell what your stepping in
The manifold is attractive because of the obvious reasons, budget being one.

If we were to have a stock stroke (gasp) 440 at +.04 with 10.5 comp and a .245 @ .05 / 108 sep cam and a good head (stealth) or better.
what is the "loss" of the manifold..?

Very interesting. I never knew they existed. What year were they offered? It would be cool to find a 383 version.

As far as making one is concerned, it's not out of the question. I think it would be easier to use a b body manifold.

Reading Tom Swope's notes he mentions milling the pass manifold 5 degrees at the head flange. Wouldn't that moke the bolts/sleeve nuts crooked to the head?
Yes the bolt holes would be crooked. The holes have to drilled at a perpendicular angle to the new face, and the holes then spot faced to square up the bolt heads.
And, the factory a-body 383, and particularly the 440 version are INSANELY expensive..... because they flow like crap and were frequently replaced with headers and thrown away.
I would figure out a way to use a b-body set if I HAD to have manifolds,.... and I was willing to throw away a hundred horsepower of a 600hp motor.....
Edit: 383 a-bodies from 67-69, 440 in 69 only, maybe 1500 darts and Cudas with 440 combined, and a bunch of those 1500 manifold sets are GONE.

Serious question: how close could you make your car look to a STOCK 383 Dart? Considering the manifold plan...paint the intake to match the engine, grind all the logos off, run stock valve covers (or the cheesiest 70s chrome covers you can find), stock 383 air cleaner and lid.

If we were to have a stock stroke (gasp) 440 at +.04 with 10.5 comp and a .245 @ .05 / 108 sep cam and a good head (stealth) or better.

With a faster rate cam and heads that have had a little clean up, and a good intake manifold...... that’s an easy 500hp combo with headers.

I’d say 40-50 less with manifolds.

The better the motor is, the more the manifolds hurt it.

... And, the factory a-body 383, and particularly the 440 version are INSANELY expensive..... because they flow like crap and were frequently replaced with headers and thrown away...

There were only 7,926 Darts and Barracudas with a 383 made from 1967-1969. That might have something to do with those manifolds being rare. Most of us knew not to dump them for junk headers.

I could make it look close to stock however it would be obvious to a car/mopar guy. The nitrous plate kills any chances of that. The gts is more of an underdog than a sleeper.

FB_IMG_1649123932940.jpg

Thank you! It is more relaxing not having a nice paint job to worry about. To be honest ai would not mind some more foam in the seats!

Got an AED 950 on deck. I call uncle on the 1050AN!

Last edited:
I really don’t think a 1050 annular 4150 carb was a good match for that combo.

I don’t think it would have been a problem getting the WOT operation decent....... but a good “overall” balance would have probably been a challenge.

I think you told me that six or nine months ago it just took a while to sink in LOL
I really don’t think a 1050 annular 4150 carb was a good match for that combo.

I don’t think it would have been a problem getting the WOT operation decent....... but a good “overall” balance would have probably been a challenge.

I smell what your stepping in
The manifold is attractive because of the obvious reasons, budget being one.

Niiiiiiiitrooooooooooooouuussssssss lol

Nicks garage (on you tube) did a manifold/header test on a 440, of factory hipo 440 manifold, maxwedge manifolds, and headers. Headers won, obviously, the max manifolds did very well, the normal 68-70 magnum manifolds, not so much.
I don't remember the numbers, anyone curious will have to look it up. But as said above, the more power/displacement you have, the more power the manifolds hurt.

Does NOS still offer the under-manifold system?
I don't know if they still offer it, but I was gifted a brand new 440 Sixpack manifold, because someone completely failed to manage an under-manifold hidden system.
A few welds, a few plugs, it will work fine n/a.
Hard to hide an underneath system on a bbm.

We could get sneaky and plumb a fogger into the bottom side of the intake but this isn't that serious of an effort. Most of what I have in this car aside from the body itself is left over from my red '66 charger. I have pondered whether a fogger would help or hurt over the plate. I would think a lot of that has to do with how balanced the intake manifold distribution is.

We could get sneaky and plumb a fogger into the bottom side of the intake but this isn't that serious of an effort. Most of what I have in this car aside from the body itself is left over from my red '66 charger. I have pondered whether a fogger would help or hurt over the plate. I would think a lot of that has to do with how balanced the intake manifold distribution is.
Agree. The advantage of a fogger is being able to control mixture on each cylinder. With a plate, you are at the mercy of the plate designer and the manifold distribution. Primary reason to use a single plane intake with a plate.
(For giggles, I wonder how bad the mix would be with a couple plates..... on a crossram? Hiding a fogger under a crossram would probably work MUCH better......)

The problem with a hidden fogger on a big block Mopar (as opposed to a Chevy, or small block mopar) is....
1. You can see it
2. The valley pan is in the way.
On a Chevy or sbm, the manifold seals against the China walls, and the fogger is hidden in the valley. It COULD be done on a maxwedge crossram, since they seal against the China wall too.
From studying the failed effort on my Sixpack, I can't see it being done successfully on any other bbm manifold.

-
Back