68 GTS Daughter wants to buy ( pic )

-

Nomax

ALPHA MIKE FOXTROT
Reaction score
One of my Daughters has the mopar bug, And looking at this 68 GTS close by, Don't know A Body numbers, Any input or suggestions what to look for,

http://allentown.craigslist.org/ctd/4074547324.html

408069278.jpg

21,000 is a lot of money, but it looks to be a nice car!!! If you pay that much, then assume it to be a keeper. If its exactly what your looking for, it might be worth bargaining and buying. I wouldn't pay that much if you think in a year or two it may be back on the market, because you might take a hit on the resale.

Good to hear of a young one (especially female) getting into the hobby.

You raised her good!

Bless her heart!! I would go over that car with an electron microscope before I plunked down that kinda cash though......and I wouldn't accept replaced floors or quarters or whatever, that's just me. I'm lovin' me a yellow/black '68 GTS though, that's for sure!

I would take the duster over the dart
just out of curiosity, how old is your daughter?

as cool as either one of these cars is, it might be a better idea to start her off in an econobox (or if you want to remain with mopar, a dodge Omni) just until she gets the first couple of fender benders out of her system

Be careful ! check that this is a real GTS, Vin LS23 etc- 340? air conditioning w/o rear defroster sounds fishy, rear bumper guards but not on the front ?? steering wheel doesn't look right but not sure, Mostly though that is very high for that car- check those build sheets and all of the ID numbers on the body, these cars are always misrepresented.

P.S. Those hood inserts are definitely '69, '68 had four upward facing stacks with red or black background color, also the rearend will be a 742 or 489 not 741, and tranny will def be 727 if it is a GTS

Rear defroster and A/C are separate options. You can and often have one without the other.

That is a correct STD steering wheel for a 68 GTS. Has 68 GTS seat covers, door panels, and it looks like GTS door emblems.

Yes, the hood inserts are 69. And generally easier and cheaper used than 68 inserts. Can buy repro 68 hood inserts for ?$300-400.

The shifter knob is a 69 woodgrain instead of a 68 chrome. Can buy repro.

Looks like driver car missing a lot of details and had shortcuts taken on the fixup (resto). The chrome/black/silver dash fascia has been all spray bombed black. Looks like cheap chrome chinese valve covers painted red.

Check for all the numbers. S.O. number on data tag and build sheet will match radiator support and trunk lip stampings. Dash VIN will match build sheet, motor stamping near drivers bell-housing, and stamping on raised pad on trans.

The steering wheel is correct. As far as price to me that is a $17000-$18000 car it needs a few things in my opinion. Like the hood inserts and the dash plastic needs chromed or replace. I would check all the numbers and documents, it is a cool car with A/C. This is just my opinion.

Rear defroster and A/C are separate options. You can and often have one without the other.

That is a correct STD steering wheel for a 68 GTS. Has 68 GTS seat covers, door panels, and it looks like GTS door emblems.

Yes, the hood inserts are 69. And generally easier and cheaper used than 68 inserts. Can buy repro 68 hood inserts for ?$300-400.

The shifter knob is a 69 woodgrain instead of a 68 chrome. Can buy repro.

Looks like driver car missing a lot of details and had shortcuts taken on the fixup (resto). The chrome/black/silver dash fascia has been all spray bombed black. Looks like cheap chrome chinese valve covers painted red.

Check for all the numbers. S.O. number on data tag and build sheet will match radiator support and trunk lip stampings. Dash VIN will match build sheet, motor stamping near drivers bell-housing, and stamping on raised pad on trans.

I agree. For the $21500 price there should be nothing left to do with this GTS. This needs a LOT of attention to detail that is not reflected in that price. A mishmash of 67/68/69 parts. Low to mid Teens in price might be a better offer.

Given that it is a 68 that makes it desireable. Add to that they claim it's numbers matching so the vin stamping on the top of the block where the block meets the transmission should match the transmission vin which is stamped where it mates to the block. All that should match the vin stamped on the core support and the trunk. Of course all should match the build sheet. Build sheet should indicate what came with the car so it's possible it was ordered with A/C and the defogger.

There also may be more documents under the carpet however since it was replaced that may not be the case. Looks to have the correct simulated mag caps. They should have a argent or silver backing. 69s were black.

I would say given the market and the examples i've seen lately for sale I'd offer 14K and not go over 17K. Depends on how bad you want the car.

Im with the rest of you guys, $ 14500 tops , i wouldnt even give that much

Given that it is a 68 that makes it desireable. Add to that they claim it's numbers matching so the vin stamping on the top of the block where the block meets the transmission should match the transmission vin which is stamped where it mates to the block. All that should match the vin stamped on the core support and the trunk. Of course all should match the build sheet. Build sheet should indicate what came with the car so it's possible it was ordered with A/C and the defogger.

There also may be more documents under the carpet however since it was replaced that may not be the case. Looks to have the correct simulated mag caps. They should have a argent or silver backing. 69s were black.

I would say given the market and the examples i've seen lately for sale I'd offer 14K and not go over 17K. Depends on how bad you want the car.

Possibly NOT numbers matching. They started stamping the VIN in late/late 1968. Would have to check the casting dates instead to get it close if it is a early 68. Also, the AC and rear defog were TWO separate items. The AC may have also been a dealer install. Without the fender tag/broadcast sheet we can only surmise. Also, those are 1967 wheel covers and not '68's.

I have seen those wheel covers on 67, 68, and 69's... are you saying they are 67 only?

It does look to be very nice. Dash bezel and hood inserts is the only thing i could see from the pictures that really bothers me.
If it was mine and I couldn't get real close to 20k out of it I would keep it. Lots of time and money spent getting it to this point I'm sure. I have never gotten any of mine to look as nice as this one at the 20k mark.
I am starting with to rough of cars I suppose and putting them together piece at a time as I can afford it. Its the only way I've been able to get my hands on them. Not the most economical method. I'm sure. But I get to built it how I want it.
I think if you have the money and you really like the car after you see it in person and drive it. go for it.
I would be very proud of it if it was mine. Beautiful machine.

Another thing that jumps out at my is the grill. That is a grill that you would find in the 270 model, not a GTS. Be VERY careful to make sure that this is a real GTS before you spend that kind of money! But it is a nice car.

Well oldman its better to be pm'd than bm'd I guess--LOL-Oh and I'm not Obama either--Swifter

-
Back